IW STi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm home sick today so I decide to knock out an easy project: install 24mm front sway bar :evilbanan and cold medicine together with a broken torque wrench leaves me with no common sense and a broken stud.

In the past I rarely used my torque wrench, except for lug nuts; Today I decided to use it as I was buttoning up my car after installing the WL 24mm Front Sway Bar. Anyway, I tightend the nuts and bolts using a ratchet first and then went around tightening with my torque wrench. I keep tightening and tighting and tighting and thought wow there must of been a gap between the crossmember and bracket! I thought that I better test the torque wrench to be sure- I then threw on a 19mm socket and tested against a large bolt at 18lbs sure enough the torque wrench "popped". So I go back an tighten the stud now that I "know" that the wrench is working I assumed that I was right, and there was a gap and that I hadn't reached the proper tension yet. 1/4 turn later the stud broke!

I should have known what 18lbs felt like!! I blame my momentary lapse of common sense to tightening while laying on my back and on Dayquil!

Any tips? How do I fix this? My drill is charging now! I thought about drilling it out and using a nut and bolt instead. Is there a better way. Is it safe to limp to the hardware store without the subframe?

Thanks,
Nick

· Registered
1,888 Posts
Easy out. One of my bolts broke but I have been too lazy to pull the entire subframe to use an easy out to remove it. Several folks run w/o subframe.

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QuickSilverSTi said:
Easy out. One of my bolts broke but I have been too lazy to pull the entire subframe to use an easy out to remove it. Several folks run w/o subframe.
If I use easy out will it be easy to put a new stud in? Anyone know off-hand what size stud is needed?

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
weaksauce said:
I agree... go to sears and get the easy out bolt remover

er... saw your pic and you may need to drill it out and add your own bolt/lock washer/nut combo if it is a welded stud and not removable.
I think it may be welded. It has a smooth flat disk on the back.

· Registered
885 Posts
Drill it out and use a bolt/nut to secure......just make sure you have room behind the bracket to put a wrench on the bolt head so that you'll be able to tighten it. Or you may need to drop a spot weld on it to hold it in place.
We just installed the same bar on my friends STi last night....I dont know why people drop the subframe to install the bar. We just took off the tire pulled it out through the passenger side wheel wheel.

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
rube23 said:
Drill it out and use a bolt/nut to secure......just make sure you have room behind the bracket to put a wrench on the bolt head so that you'll be able to tighten it. Or you may need to drop a spot weld on it to hold it in place.
We just installed the same bar on my friends STi last night....I dont know why people drop the subframe to install the bar. We just took off the tire pulled it out through the passenger side wheel wheel.
Done! After I broke the first nut/bolt that I used to replace the first stud (yes, I broke two)! "Dayquil makes men stronger!"

Lol...

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It came with the collars. I have no idea if they all come thatway

michaelc said:
Glad to hear you fixed it. I noticed your bar has a collar on it. Did those come with the bar? Do all the whiteline bars have collars on them now?
It came with the collars. I have no idea if they all come that way!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.