IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question....has anybody out there thrown on 4 piston calipers for the rear brakes? I"m wondering what the difference would be. I realize that the large majority of the braking is through the front brakes, but to be real honest, I'm not impressed with the braking ability of the STi at all. The brakes, on both that I've driven, including my own, feel squishy. I've never had a foreign car before this one, but my '03 Mustang GT seemed to break a heck of a lot better. Just a question....

·
Registered
348 Posts
Let's see...road and track got the STi to brake from 60-0 (I believe that's right) in 111 feet, which was bested only by the EVO at 109 feet and the Ferrari 360 Modena at 110 feet. Doesn't get much better than that. The brakes do like to be stomped on, however. I have much squeaking when lightly tapping the brakes, especially when cold or wet.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Probably would be quite rear biased an unproductive. The rear brakes would lockup instantly and the ABS would be working overtime to slow the car down. Also, as elucas said, this car stops almost as short as any other car on the road.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All of the engine mods i have as a whole

Thanks for the relies you all. I guess maybe it's the feel that I am not used to. I have driven ABS before, but I dunno, guess I'll figure out how well they work should I ever need them to avoid a crisis. Again, thanks for the relies.....

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Try slamming the brakes as hard as you can sometime.....

You should test the stopping ability of your car at least a few times before you need to know what it is....

·
Registered
347 Posts
c'mon, spellcheck...

·
Chuck taught me everything I know
504 Posts
Replacing the rubber brake hoses with some braded lines should improve pedal feel some.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
End of the month drawing, free stuff within

Yeah, replacing the rubber lines with braded steel would make sense. It would probably be a far cheaper mod than investing in a whole new set of calipers and/or pads. I'll have to check in to that as I have no idea where to begin looking. So if anyone has some suggestions as to where I might find some steel braded brake tubing, I'd appreciate the info. BITABUR, you might be correct in your suggesting we try slamming on our brakes once or twice before actually needing them in an emergency situation. Maybe I'll work up the nerve to try that. I guess I just don't want to risk locking up the ABS (and yes, I have seen ABS lockup, regardless of what's it's supposed to do), therefore possibly leading to flat spots on the tires.....Ah, oh well, nuff whining...I'll try it.

·
Chuck taught me everything I know
504 Posts
Negative Effect on Racing?

whiplash306 said:
Yeah, replacing the rubber lines with braded steel would make sense. It would probably be a far cheaper mod than investing in a whole new set of calipers and/or pads. I'll have to check in to that as I have no idea where to begin looking. So if anyone has some suggestions as to where I might find some steel braded brake tubing, I'd appreciate the info. BITABUR, you might be correct in your suggesting we try slamming on our brakes once or twice before actually needing them in an emergency situation. Maybe I'll work up the nerve to try that. I guess I just don't want to risk locking up the ABS (and yes, I have seen ABS lockup, regardless of what's it's supposed to do), therefore possibly leading to flat spots on the tires.....Ah, oh well, nuff whining...I'll try it.
You can get the brake lines here:
http://mastrowrx.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=80

Also make sure the pads have been beded in properly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts