IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
STi owners in Ontario, Canada

I'm getting 350km out of a full tank of gas. Will my mileage improve after the break in period?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well, let me try and deal with the conversion here. 350km if you took it down to the gas warning light leaves about 3 gallons as a reserve which means you burned roughly 13 gallons (about 49 litres). So that means you're getting a little over 16 miles to the gallon, or 7km to the litre, or 26.9km to the gallon. If this is mostly city driving, it probably will not improve much, that is about right. If you're doing highway driving, then you can expect more, probably around 22 miles to the gallon, or 35.2km to the gallon, or 9.28km to the litre.

Phew!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Depends how fast you drive on the highway. My 4Runner sucks the gas on the Trans canada highway, especially at 150km/h ;)

I hear 80km/h is the most fuel efficient

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
sorry to go off your topic, but about the topic of breaking in an engine... I read on a link from supraforums about how to properly break in an engine. He showed that using dyno pulls / hard pulls during your first double digit mileage, would result in the best break in. Before and after pics of waiting 1000 miles and doing his break in. It makes a lot of sense, but then why wouldn't any of the other car companies recommend doing it? For more info: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

let me know what you guys think please! Thanks in advance and hopefully we'll all learn something (me included).

Robert~

·
Registered
243 Posts
It is my understanding you have a choice: if you decide to break it in hard you get the most power but sacrifice long term longevity. If you break it in soft you get the exact opposite effect. I'm guessing car manufacturers want the latter versus the former effect so that's why they tell you to take it easy.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Carbon Fiber insert pics?

Why is it every time this topic comes up someone has to post a link to that guys website about bike engines? So far that is the ONLY place I have ever seen anyone reference when it comes to a reason for a hard engine break in. Who made that guy the expert? You never see the mileage put on a bike that you do a car. Beat the hell out of your brand new car I don't care. You have an owner's manual, why would you want to do the complete opposite that the people who built the car recommend?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Thats why I was just asking mkivSupra. No one could come up with an answer on Supraforums, so I thought I'd ask elsewheres. I know you've probably read that over there once or twice or many times, but I was asking a whole another group of people what they thought, just for grins. If you think that doing that would cause problems, then fine just say so. No one said he was the expert or anything, but its a good point and a four stroke engine usually behaves like other 4 stroke engines. So don't worry about it, I was just asking to see what people would say. Thanks

Robert~

Also what the heck happened to supraforums? All I ever get is a screen saying it was hacked and everyone's emails were up for sale lol and networking programs trying to open in the background. Do you think they will ever get it back and running again?

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Sorry for the harsh reply Robert, I didn't mean it to come off like it did. I am just sick of always seeing references to that site only. Actually I never go to Supra forums too much BS on there. I just get the MKIV.com emails and ones from our local list. Anyway, I have seen links to that guy's page come up every couple months on every car related forum I frequent. People want to get on it right away, who doesn't, they don't want to deal with a break in so they use that guy's site as an excuse. Like I said you very rarely see a bike with the mileage that cars get so either way I want my car to last 100k+ miles so I break it in like recommended in the owner's manual. I just hope I never buy a car from someone who believed in a hard break in.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Sorry man and I understand what you mean and you're right, its the only site ever shown. Cant seem to get anyone to agree on whats right, so I thought I'd keep asking. I'll break it in like the manual says, but its just an interesting thought/theory. Sorry if I came off harsh as well and you're correct. I talked to some of my mechanic friends in the dealership I work in (GMC Semis) who know about setting up and maintaining an engine for a million miles +. They said its smarter to go easy the first 1000 if you want longevity of the engine. So you're right along with those who said easy break in is the way to go. Thanks again for the info!

Robert~

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Is there a waiting period?

well instead of starting my own thread I thought I'd continue on this one. I just got my STI (put 100 miles on today lol) and I want to break it in correctly. They said not over 4000rpm for 1000 miles (or 1400 as one guy recommended). Does throttle matter? I have been having a TON of fun just giving it some gas up to 3500 or so!! This car is amazing. Also another quick question... What about synthetic? They told me not to use any, but I thought that synthetic was the best for protection and such, if not what is the best regular oil? I always used Redline synthetic. thanks!

Robert~

T

·
0 Posts
SubaruBen said:
I'm getting 350km out of a full tank of gas. Will my mileage improve after the break in period?
I typically get around 400 km or so per tank full with various driving conditions. I did the math not long ago and it came out to 22 mpg with mixed driving. 350 does seem a bit low but like stated earlier, if it's mostly city driving then that is expected.

·
Registered
80 Posts
staticx313 said:
well instead of starting my own thread I thought I'd continue on this one. I just got my STI (put 100 miles on today lol) and I want to break it in correctly. They said not over 4000rpm for 1000 miles (or 1400 as one guy recommended). Does throttle matter? I have been having a TON of fun just giving it some gas up to 3500 or so!! This car is amazing. Also another quick question... What about synthetic? They told me not to use any, but I thought that synthetic was the best for protection and such, if not what is the best regular oil? I always used Redline synthetic. thanks!

Robert~
Most mechanics I have talked to have relayed the following information concerning synthetic oil:

Basically the laymans explanation is that synthetic lubricates TOO well. During the break-in period you want the engine to feel itself out, smooth out the rough edges produced by the manufaturing process, and loosen up a bit. Obviously a certain amount of friction is required for this process to be successful. The problem with synthetic oil is that it just lubricates too well and as a result the parts just don't wear correctly. This results in a very tight engine that never really develops a good wear pattern.

Most recommendations are to keep the engine off synthetic for the first 10k by then you have the option of going to synthetic but you'll be suprised how many mechanics just roll their eyes and say that the only good thing about synthetic is that it helps out the environment. Which is a pretty darn good thing after all. :D

Whatevs if anyone want to elaborate please do!

·
Registered
834 Posts
This Hard break in method is very true for motorcycles and off road vehicles. I build these motors all winter long and know for a fact that this method does work. but there are major differences between a motorcycle engine and a car engine. The way that car engines are built today with such close tolerances there is no real need for a break in period. You can buy a brand new civic, and run synthetic off the showroom floor and beat the crap out of hte car and it will still last 150k+ miles. The only real reason for a 1000 mile break in period would be to really give all of those moving parts time to loosen up. If you drive hard out of the box you already have the added friction of everything being tight then you are revving the piss out of the motor creating tons of heat.. and we all know that heat is our enemy.. lol you say that motorcycles dont have nearly as much miles put on them. but you must also realize that these bikes are run in much harder conditions on every ride than your car will see. I race quads and know that you are revving that motor to 9000rpms bouncing of the limitor all the time. and sport bikes redline at near 13,000rpms. mileage does not effect the engine. it effects the drivetrain. I would certainly not doubt the hard break in period though.
Just my .02 cents

1 - 13 of 13 Posts