IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
I've heard this before, but it just goes against my beliefs. That being said, I think I understand what everyone is saying here. I plan on babying the STi during the break-in. Of course that doesn't mean I wont put the hammer down. Like the website says I wont go very fast, just get the tach running high..in short burst for the first few times. After that I will change the oil around 100 or so miles.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Yeah, I don't know that I buy some of that. Being an engineer and thinking about this conceptually.....

Automakers are VERY strick about what happens to an engine right after being built. Change the oil at 1000, no going over 4k till 1000.....and after that, unless you tow a trailer and drive on gravel, it's ok not to change the oil for 7500 miles!?! Seeing the concern the automakers have for the break in, I don't know that I'm going to go against the grain on that one.

Personally, I think you can justify just about any theory you may have about something, but how it works in real life is a different story altogether. For instance...his method sounds great, but wearing away a layer of cylinder wall material in 20 miles.....yeah right! How would the engine last more than a few thousand miles with that kind of rigidity!

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Automakers are VERY strick about what happens to an engine right after being built.
I both agree and disagree. Nowadays it is common place to advertise the 100K mile tune-ups, etc. Manufacturers also know that the common user doesn't want to worry about the car's maintenance. But I also agree that the manufacturers have their name at stake if they give erroneous info on how to break-in the engine. I will follow break-in procedures as stated in the manual, but with a twist. In the first 20-50 miles I will take the car into higher revs..just to make sure the rings seal properly. I don't plan on going fast, but just quick bursts. I think I will only do this once during break-in.

Ok, ok..that and b/c I will want to enjoy my STi when I first get it. you all caught me!! :oops: :lol:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Haha....I hear ya there.

One thing I was planning on doing anyway but will work out nicely with the STi is ordering it and making sure NO ONE has driven it before I do. I have nightmares thinking what some retard salesmen told someone to do to my current car while it was on the lot. Never again!

I want her still covered with the white plastic paint protection, plastic on the seats and no more than 2 miles on the ODO!

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I just heard another rumor, add this to the pile, that the ecu in the STi is a sort of datalogger that Subaru will be able to tell if you properly broke in your STi or beat on it too much. Anyone heard this one?

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
I just heard another rumor, add this to the pile, that the ecu in the STi is a sort of datalogger that Subaru will be able to tell if you properly broke in your STi or beat on it too much. Anyone heard this one?
No, but I do know that in the current E46 M3s the ECU tracks engine issues. A problem with the engine in these cars blowing up has made news. The ECU will actually tell the dealer at what rpm it blew and see if it was being over-driven. High-tech systems.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
That is too big brother. Customers will start revolting against that stuff, even if it does exisist.

FYI, I know that UK STi owners had to sign a statement saying they would keep their cars below a certain RPM for a number of miles. I sure hope SOA doesn't do the same thing... :(

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I dunno, I remember seeing a few years back where Corvettes had systems that maintained the last 10 minutes of information at all times. This was a big story because a consumer's car could be used against them in court in accidents.

I don't know if they system made it or not, but rest assured, car manufacturers will start using systems like this to save themselves money on warranty claims and the like. They'll blame the system on something else (ECU adaptation, etc) but they will show up.

The information age works for and against you.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
The information age works for and against you.
The frustrating thing about this though is that some crooked dealers will use it against you before they use it to help you. Its sad, and yes, there are plenty of dealers and people who will treat you with integrity, but those that don't put a really sour taste in your mouth!! :x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts