IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Subaru says to keep the revs under 4K for the first 1K. I've passed that limit many times and was wondering if the dealer can download that info from my car's computer and make an issue reguarding a warranty claim?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I've heard this is possible, but that you can clear the ECU memory by disconnecting the battery and tapping the brakes a few times....

·
Registered
270 Posts
this doesn't relate to the STi but my best friend bought a 6cylnder mustang like 2 years ago, and his "break in" was just that, he redlined it every gear, bouncing it off rev limiter, burnouts, you name it, about 8 months later for no reason check engine light came on, he took it to the dealer and they told him that his car had hit the rev limiter a lot, he told them "Hell thats why i bought it was to run it hard" and they cleared his CEL. no problems since. except quite a loss of power!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
M3Killer said:
I know Subaru says to keep the revs under 4K for the first 1K. I've passed that limit many times and was wondering if the dealer can download that info from my car's computer and make an issue reguarding a warranty claim?
Going over 4k during the break-in cannot really void your warranty. I doubt the ECM logs anything other than hitting the actual rev limiter/fuel cut. Most do log this and keep it in some sort of persistent memory, I know BMW does on the M3. It actually came up in a lawsuit. The guy was trying to lemon the car and BMW brought up the fact that they had data showing that the rev limiter had been hit like 15 times or something. The guy's attorney simply argued that it had been in the shop so much, that it was impossible to determine who took it to the limiter (there were no date stamps on the data). The arbitrator found that BMW should buy back the M3 from what I understand.

-st

·
Registered
185 Posts
I know the guy with the M3 you are talking about.. his issue was with his differential. (like my problem) he got it replaced 3 or 4 times... BMW tried to blame it on the over-revs... BMW also tried to blame it on his sound system... That kid kinda screwed BMW though.. he would brag about doing donuts, ruining his tires, bouncing off the rev limiter... the amazing part was his engine took all that abuse and never blew up!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
t00h0t said:
I know the guy with the M3 you are talking about.. his issue was with his differential. (like my problem) he got it replaced 3 or 4 times... BMW tried to blame it on the over-revs... BMW also tried to blame it on his sound system... That kid kinda screwed BMW though.. he would brag about doing donuts, ruining his tires, bouncing off the rev limiter... the amazing part was his engine took all that abuse and never blew up!
Yeah, if it's the same kid I'm thinking of, he is a tremendous tool. I was just using his case as an example : )

-st

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Some people also believe that you should break in your car based on how you plan to drive it. Some people firmly believe that not being hard on your car during the break-in produces a less powerful engine. Not sure if this is due to the piston rings sealing better or not - who knows. I honestly don't think you are going to hurt your engine's longevity by going over 4k RPMs during the break-in. Personally I wouldn't redline the thing at every light but if you gradually get harder on the car as the break-in wears in, I can't see that as being a problem. Now granted, I'm talking about a Honda engine here. I was gentle on the engine for the first 400km and steadily worked my way up to redline. The result? My car doesn't seem to burn any oil like a lot of other RSXs. My car also feels very strong (for what it is) and hasn't had any problems so far with nearly 40k KM on the odometer.

Coincidence? Perhaps. The point I'm getting at is, in my opinion, going over the "recommended break-in RPM limit" isn't going to adversely affect your engine - at least not if it is well built.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
i agree with digitalfiend your point is clear, i hit my revlimiter a few times but now i have 5xx miles and im driven it normal and as well if a porche swings by i do give him a run for his money.....but with a focus i used to have i did the same with that car and man that car from 0-65000 miles was crazy it would have mood swings and run really fast one night and super slow the next...but most of the time it was fast, then again its a focus lol but i think when you break your car in , you should break it in , in all the rpm ranges not just one. the reason why is becasue when i bought my new yamaha r6 rocket the dealer told me to not keep the throttle steady and fluctuate all throughout the rpm range! but dont redline every minute....so i guess take it as you want....im just waiting for my 1k so i can really hammer it all the time lol when i need too!

hope that helps too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts