IW STi Forum banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Re: Brapp's 05 STi - "Roxy" -- Found a rock on the highway...

Dan, I can answer your question categorically with a resounding YES!
:lol::lol:

You downright exploded that axle!

I'm wondering if launching at a higher RPM would help with that. Or if I should just launch the old way without Launch Control.

I was taught to launch without it and I can consistently get a pretty hard launch with consistent wheelspin. Actually if the tires are fairly worn I have to lift slightly after I leave the line to get them to hook again.

I tried setting LC at 4500. Normally when I launch without it I let it loose around 6000-6500. Wondering if bumping it up to 5000 or 5500 might be better.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #102 (Edited)
It's been a minute!

Last few months have been fun and also somewhat challenging with the car. Been chasing a few random things around that just haven't been quick or easy to figure out.

But first... some pics...

Pretty well toasted my RE71s. Only took about 3 months...

Right about then, Tire Rack came out with some testing that showed the RS4's to be less than a tenth of a second slower than the RE71s, but hold up much better and last a ton longer. This got me interested. Despite many, many people telling me the RS4s were a compromise tire that would last longer but would never be competitive in autox type environments, I decided to give them a shot.

Turns out... they are pretty damn good. So far I have two autox days with Rocky Mountain Region and two autox days with Rio Grande Region on them -- both very competitive regions. Took 2nd in class both days at the RGR events and made top 10 in PAX overall in the Rocky Mountain events. The tires have slightly less steering feel than the RE71s, but I don't feel like I have lost any speed with the switch.

And... with those 4 autox days, 3 track days, and a local Time Attack event (similar to a big autox)... they look about as worn as RE71s usually look after 2 autox events. So I'm pretty happy with them. :D

Then... my Whiteline camber/caster adding top mounts were blown out. Only took a year which was disappointing. I'm wondering if they didn't get tightened down properly though.

In any case... I was interested in getting proper camber plates anyways, so went with some goodies from Vorshlag.

What I'm most excited about for these is the ability to run more camber overall, as well as be able to run a street alignment with 0 toe and less camber, then get to the track and slam them in for more camber and some toe out in the front. Able to get to -3.4 front now which is awesome both for cornering and for more even tire wear.

Chased a cooling issue around for awhile... car would get hot only at autox runs. Hunted around and found a slightly sticking thermostat. But then... it still got hot at the next track day I did. Added a Koyo aluminum race radiator and she's happy again even at the track.

Sunset laps out at High Plains Raceway

Had a sound that was identical to a rear top hat bushing going out... so replaced with a new Group-N mount...

Had to cut off the lower spring perch to work with the RCE coilovers

That didn't solve anything. Thought I did it wrong and with a bunch of events coming and no time to get someone to do it better I went big and got Vorshlag plates for the rear too...

Which... also did nothing.

With a day before I had to leave for a big weekend of events, I started going over everything I could find. Couldn't find anything. Had the rear suspension off 3 times in two days, swapped springs, swaybars, couldn't find anything. The shop I go to is awesome and made time for me to bring it by on zero notice... couldn't find it either.

In the end... we concluded it almost certainly wasn't suspension related, and was probably a random trunk bolt or something that was making a bit of a creak... so with the car feeling great I decided to send it and head to the track.

Annddd now it's time for work, so that'll all wait for the next post.

One last photo for the road...

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Love the car and the fact its actually used. Am from Durango as well, in Denver now but visit all the time. I've seen you around!
Damn... small world. And yea, she definitely gets used properly! Come say hi next time... what do you drive?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Damn... small world. And yea, she definitely gets used properly! Come say hi next time... what do you drive?

Absolutely! I used to drive a blue camo wrapped 2018 crosstrek, but it got totaled in a hailstorm here in Denver... now I drive a blue wrapped 16 WRX! Absolutely, I'm actually getting ready to come down quite a bit to ride wolf and purgatory.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Absolutely! I used to drive a blue camo wrapped 2018 crosstrek, but it got totaled in a hailstorm here in Denver... now I drive a blue wrapped 16 WRX! Absolutely, I'm actually getting ready to come down quite a bit to ride wolf and purgatory.
Nice man! I'm up at Purg a ton -- usually multiple days a week so I'll keep an eye out for you

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
So then came the fun part... a super full weekend followed by another full weekend. There was a two day (Sat and Sun) SCCA race weekend at La Junta Raceway, an open lapping day prior to that at La Junta on Friday, and a PPIR Time Attack on Sunday.

So my girlfriend and I drove out to La Junta on Thursday afternoon, camped out at the track, then drove in the open lapping day on Friday, changed oil in both cars that night in the dark at the paddock, drove in the SCCA open lapping groups on Saturday, changed my brake pads at a gas station, drove home that night, got up early again and raced in the Time Attack on Sunday. Needless to say we were fairly tired Monday morning :D

Camping at the track! La Junta is a tiny town and the hotels are all pretty terrible. So we saved a bit of money and cut our track commute time down to zero.

Not the nicest camp spot I've ever had but there's something pretty cool about waking up in paddock.

Tying off tents to track wheels

Saw this shot when checking tire pressures... thought it was pretty cool looking

After hitting a rock on the highway with my TurboXS catback and having it smashed down to about a 1.5" pipe before the muffler, I ended up swapping back to my Tomei titanium exhaust. It's amazing how much of a restriction that dent actually was. I thought it wouldn't have any real effect but at the advice of a few friends and my mechanic... I ended up swapping it out and immediately the car felt happier, more lively, and a lot stronger on the top end. Which was crazy as I wasn't expecting to feel any difference at all.

One other cool thing... I cleaned it up a bit and after removing all the built up road crap from it (there was a lot)... I found out just how much heat I'd put into this thing over the years. The whole piping from the downpipe back is blue and the tip is actually turning bright purple. It's pretty cool actually knowing it's done that on it's own as I've gotten it super hot on track and at events.

So we raced Sunday at PPIR. Tons of fun, everything went great until fun runs at the end of the day when my coolant expansion tank decided to ventilate itself a bit more...

Which then required some help to get home.

Luckily an easy fix. Took longer to clean all the coolant out of the engine bay and off the exterior than to install a new tank from Subaru and fill her back up.

Front windshield collected quite the assortment of tech stickers

Throughout all of it... my random little rear end creak never got any worse... so I'm calling that it's definitely not a suspension bit. I think we put well over 120 laps at La Junta Raceway on it. Turn 1 there is well over 100mph with a pretty significant surface change bump in it. I think if something was up with the suspension it would definitely have showed itself there.

So then... after a very full 3 day weekend of track days and racing... it was time to prep for a two day autox the following weekend! :cool:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #108 (Edited)
Quick update... finished out the season in the best way. Final competitive event of the year at PPIR. Been battling it out all season, ending up in the top 5 each time but never getting higher than 3rd. Finally put it all together on a fast course that rewarded full-on aggression and took home the win!

Of course... it was the one time I didn't bother to charge the GoPro and bring it with :rolleyes:

Still pretty cool to finally be the fastest out a group of very fast folks.

Thinking through what's next for the car... next events with it will be a couple track days in mid-November. Only thing is though is I'll be home for the next week, then gone until then. So a few things to do in little time.

Thinking of...

AOS - thinking Killer B... have yet to decide though if it's really needed.

Fire extinguisher mounted in the car for track days - thinking this one with a removable bracket to mount in front of passenger seat.

Halon 1211 Fire Extinguisher - 2.5-lb

There are less expensive, non-halon ones that are rated for automotive fires as well, but the halon one has the best coverage area.

Brake ducts -- already got a set of RooDucts... just gotta mount them up. Thinking using a set of WRX foglight bezels as inlets.

Front tow strap -- realized after getting a tow for the coolant tank explosion that the stock tow hook isn't really the best for quick tow situations. After researching around, it seems like aftermarket tow hooks present a possibility for bumper damage in a front end hit, so a strap seems like a great option. Still gotta figure out how to mount it in the stock location -- I'd rather not drill a hole for it anywhere.

Any thoughts on any of this are appreciated!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re: Brapp's 05 STi - "Roxy" - Final event of the year!

Looks like it was a lot of fun! Sorry to hear about the issues with the expansion tank and exhaust, I can't believe it was hit hard enough to cause a restriction like that :\

I have an IAG aos... its just, ok. It comes with zip ties instead of hose clamps but it seems to do the job.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

Looks like you've been having a bit of good and bad luck eh? Good to see you weren't stranded and got that reservoir sorted. Spilling coolant on the engine is shitty and not fun to clean up, ask me how i know :\

Congrats on the win though!

I would use JDM fog bezels for your ducts, not sure the USDM ones are big enough for any effective flow, my .02. I have a 2.5gal extinguisher and a mount on the front bottom of the passenger seat. When I get home I can update you exactly with what I have, can't recall if it's Halon or not; I wanna say it's drychem. You should absolutely install an AOS, I used hoseclamps on all those connections.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #111

Looks like it was a lot of fun! Sorry to hear about the issues with the expansion tank and exhaust, I can't believe it was hit hard enough to cause a restriction like that :\

I have an IAG aos... its just, ok. It comes with zip ties instead of hose clamps but it seems to do the job.

It was crazy with the exhaust. I really didn't think it would affect too much knowing how catbacks don't tend to affect power. At the advice of a trusted shop though I decided to put the Tomei back on. I didn't really expect anything but it pulls noticeably harder in the upper RPM range now. I had also been getting small amounts of fine knock learning while cruising... nothing at WOT so I wasn't too concerned, but little bits I was trying to track down. Completely gone with the Tomei on there. Looking at the damaged one though, it did neck down to probably about 1.5" right before the muffler where the damage was the worst.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #112

Looks like you've been having a bit of good and bad luck eh? Good to see you weren't stranded and got that reservoir sorted. Spilling coolant on the engine is shitty and not fun to clean up, ask me how i know :\

Congrats on the win though!

I would use JDM fog bezels for your ducts, not sure the USDM ones are big enough for any effective flow, my .02. I have a 2.5gal extinguisher and a mount on the front bottom of the passenger seat. When I get home I can update you exactly with what I have, can't recall if it's Halon or not; I wanna say it's drychem. You should absolutely install an AOS, I used hoseclamps on all those connections.
Yup, exactly. Having some challenges, but overall everything is running pretty well. Actually just had the clutch safety switch go out this last week. I'd turn the key, nothing at all would happen. I could play with the switch under the dash by hand and get it to start though. Got a new switch from the dealer for $20 and swapped it in -- everything is great again.

The coolant tank was actually kinda funny. It let go on a fun run and one of the last runs anyone was able to do for the day. My girlfriend was taking the car for a couple laps and I had just been encouraging her to push it harder. We got off track and she was saying "I'm just always kinda worried about breaking something..." when we started smelling coolant and a huge cloud of steam started coming out from under the hood :lol: In the end it was no big deal. Took longer to clean the coolant off everything than it did to swap the part.

Good thought on the JDM bezels... I wonder how tough those are to source. And how big of diameter the USDM ones are.

I'd definitely be interested in what mount you have and how you like it. Not something I really want mounted all the time, but I like the idea of having it for track days.

AOS... I've gone back and forth for a long time on that. I've never run one on this car or any of my other Subarus, including my 200k Stg2 bugeye. But as I start to push the car harder and harder it's starting to seem like a good move.

I'm a bit torn between the IAG and the KillerB ones. I like the simplicity of the KillerB... after reading their writeup on the logic of not heating it I'm leaning that way. Not super stoked though on the high price tag... about a $100 premium over the IAG. Thinking though with the simpler design I would be able to install it myself fairly easily though... vs the IAG I'd probably end up spending more than that on having a shop install it for me. Just not sure I'd feel comfortable tearing that much of everything apart alone.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts

Wrx fog covers should do fine. I use them and have not had an issue. I actually plumb hoses from them to the Roo Ducts then no hose from the Roo ducts to the Quantum backing plates and have not had brake overheating on the tracks I run.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #114

Wrx fog covers should do fine. I use them and have not had an issue. I actually plumb hoses from them to the Roo Ducts then no hose from the Roo ducts to the Quantum backing plates and have not had brake overheating on the tracks I run.
That's good to hear. I was thinking of doing the same thing except just running no dust shields at all. Did you notice much of a difference after installing the ducts?

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts

That's good to hear. I was thinking of doing the same thing except just running no dust shields at all. Did you notice much of a difference after installing the ducts?
No backing plates(dust shields) for the record per what's his name Oh Randy, lol. Previous to the Roo/Quantum setup, I was running Racecomp only and it was fine, just kept rubbing through the duct between the Roo outlet and the Racecomp duct. And yes there is a difference. I posted in my journal that one year HDPE at Grattan chasing a second gen Camaro and late braking him in most corners having a duct fold up into the body of the car. Cooked the left front Brembo and boiled fluid to the point I had to take an hour off. Fine in the last session of the day there. So big fan of Roo setup.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #116

No backing plates(dust shields) for the record per what's his name Oh Randy, lol. Previous to the Roo/Quantum setup, I was running Racecomp only and it was fine, just kept rubbing through the duct between the Roo outlet and the Racecomp duct. And yes there is a difference. I posted in my journal that one year HDPE at Grattan chasing a second gen Camaro and late braking him in most corners having a duct fold up into the body of the car. Cooked the left front Brembo and boiled fluid to the point I had to take an hour off. Fine in the last session of the day there. So big fan of Roo setup.
Haha yup, going off what Randy recommends. I was thinking WRX fog to Roo then nothing from the Roo too the rotor but taking the duct plate off.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
I love this car so much in the winter.

Actually I really just love it all the time.
Just got done with a 2100 mile roadtrip in the STi. A 8 hour drive, a 12 hour drive, a track day, a blizzard, and a couple hour roadtrip with my Grandma. Handled it all like a champ :)

Been getting a good bit of snow so far this year. Looking forward to finally getting out to some snow/ice racing events this year.

snowsuub

101 - 117 of 117 Posts