IW STi Forum banner

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #81
Re: Brapp's 05 STi - "Roxy" -- Finally a race day!

Dang that's not bad. 6 years is a pretty good lifespan.

That Forester is sweet too!

Super Moderator

Registered
Discussion Starter #83

I'd hope 6 years isn't considered long. 馃檪

Here's more on the Forester... Stock long block and trans with 110k+ miles.

('06-'08) Matt's '06 FXT - Page 30 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
My thinking as well. Reading around though you'd think that 304SS headers that see good heat fail pretty quickly.

That's cool to see the Foz. I'm at about 100k on the stock long block and I like the idea of bumping up to a 20g sized turbo. Not sure how worried I should be about the block at that point though.

From reading the forums, you'd think that the engine would spontaneously combust the second the turbo gets bolted on :lol:

Registered

We will see. Hoping that's the thing! It was definitely doing some whining even just going lock to lock on flat ground with sticky tires. Right now the biggest hope is that it isn't something with the rack.
I get that whining too every couple years. I just replace the o-ring on the return side of the pump. I think it dries out because I don't drive the car enough. My rack has a slow seep too. It's on and off and it's been like that since I bought the car. The lower part of the rack is a bit wet, but it never drips and I don't ever notice a drop in the reservoir. Anyway hopefully you got your issues sorted out.

I think the base header with up-pipe, with EGT bung is about $1800. Then sounding like either $250 ish for Swaintech (with reported issues and a LONG wait time... 8-10 weeks or more) or order from RSD and get it coated by a local shop for $500-$700. And then, of course, the cost of a retune to get the most from it.

It sounds like ELH is such a great mod for a ton of reasons but that's a lot of money to pay for the performance gain. There's always the option of going a cheaper route, say a Tomei for $700 or even a MAP (same 4-1 style as Killer B) for about $1k. But then they are just 304 SS and I'd really rather not buy something that seems virtually guaranteed to crack at some point in time.
I'm not sure how frequent 304 cracking actually is. I do know it's not as thermally stable so it expands and contracts more than 321. Coating 304 may make it more likely to crack too. I want to say I paid about $1850 out the door for my header with the coating and an EGT bung. It took about two weeks to arrive. I think Chris was in a good mood. He knocked some percentage off and through in free shipping. I had already purchased a killer b bottom end at that point too. I really like that header. I wanted that design because I wanted all the response I could get for STU when I built the car. When Harvey tuned it he said boost came in a few hundred RPM sooner than a similarly equipped car without a Killer B header and torque was 20 ft/lbs above the average. Horsepower was about average which surprised him.

Initially I was going to have Grimmspeed port and polish the OE manifolds and upgrade to their crossover pipe. I changed my mind because I wanted the added security of equalized egt's afforded by an equal length design. Since my power levels weren't that high safety/reliability was my driving force.

Registered
Discussion Starter #85

Hmm. I might just hold off until I feel good about spending the money. Looks like everything on Killer B's website is backordered 8-10 weeks. Rallysportdirect has most options in stock, but they don't have one with both EGT bung and the coating. Just one or the other.

Do you like/use the EGT gauge much? I have a wideband AFR now that covers some of that purpose... but I like the idea of replacing it with an EGT gauge at some point as that seems more useful in telling me when I should back off on pushing the car.

I also really like the fact that the ELH equalizes the exhaust temps. More power + better safety margin seems like a great combo to me.

It's a never ending battle in my head. One part of me thinks that if I can get 90% of the gains for half the cost... it seems like a better route. The other part just wants everything to be done to the highest level I can do it as I plan on keeping this car forever.

Registered

Yes I do use the EGT. It was part of my build plan since the beginning.

I have a handheld wideband O2 reader and a port in my down pipe, but haven't had cause to use it.

I'm not sure what to tell you to do about the header. Only you'll know whether or not you'll be happy with what you purchase. I will say don't buy anything twice. If you plan on keeping the car forever make sure you'll be 100% satisfied with the header you decide to go with.

Registered
Discussion Starter #87

Yes I do use the EGT. It was part of my build plan since the beginning.
Image Link

I have a handheld wideband O2 reader and a port in my down pipe, but haven't had cause to use it.

I'm not sure what to tell you to do about the header. Only you'll know whether or not you'll be happy with what you purchase. I will say don't buy anything twice. If you plan on keeping the car forever make sure you'll be 100% satisfied with the header you decide to go with.
Yeah, that's really good advice. I really do love the way you've built your car. Definitely an inspiration to me with how clean and well thought out everything is.

I'm thinking of doing the same for gauges. Lose the AFR gauge itself but keep the sensor to be able to log if needed. A friend of mine actually has it so his downstream o2 sensor is replaced by a wideband and he can view the wideband via his accessport. Requires tuning, of course, but it's a pretty slick setup. Thinking I might go that route and replace the AFR gauge with an EGT in the cabin.

Registered
Discussion Starter #88
Re: Brapp's 05 STi - "Roxy" -- STi x2

So something kinda cool happened last week...

My girlfriend and I actually met because of my car. She's very into cars and has always loved the blobeye STi's in particular. They've been her dream car since she was a teenager. Last summer, I crashed her housewarming party after a Time Attack as the couple friends I was racing with were going there afterwards. She ended up seeing my car and wanted to check it out.

Long story short... we became friends, I ended up getting her into racing (in her Mazdaspeed3) and 5-6 months later we ended up starting dating.

Well... another 6 months later and she decided to make her dream of 10+ years come true and she bought her own 05 STi.

DSC09224

It needs a bit of love, but it's a great base and a fun project we're taking on together. And it's pretty darn fun to rally canyon roads together. Looking forward to a long summer of track days and races!

DSC09214

Registered

Hey nice...always great to see someone finally get their dream car. Grats to her.

Registered
Discussion Starter #90

Hey nice...always great to see someone finally get their dream car. Grats to her.
It's funny, she was really hesitant to bring up the idea at first. She was worried I'd be upset that she had the same car. The way I see it though, these are really special cars. If she loves them enough to want one then that's awesome.

Registered
Discussion Starter #93

So I've finally found an exhaust I really like (after at least 6 different ones)... and then after having it for about 6 weeks I found a rock on the highway yesterday :(

20180411_173210

Surprisingly enough, it doesn't leak. It actually got hit hard enough that it went up and smashed the top of the pipe too.

20180412_192607

I'm thinking that since it's really just the axleback (midpipe got scratched but not too badly bashed) the restriction shouldn't really be noticeable. It definitely flattens down to maybe 1.5" thick at one point, but it's still 3" across. It does make the tip hang a couple inches lower though. Doesn't look terrible... but doesn't really look right either.

In happier news... finally got the goldies back on.

PSX_20180413_172921

Registered
Re: Brapp's 05 STi - "Roxy" -- Found a rock on the highway...

Which exhaust is this? Don't recall you saying that earlier. Seems like you have my bad luck :(

Stock? I swear the pic you posted of the SO's STi, it had a FMIC in there...or at least it looked like it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #95

It's a TurboXS. I've bounced around a ton... this car has had stock, Q300, N1, Tomei, GMS, and now TurboXS.

I really like how the TurboXS sounds crisp and clean and is on the louder side... without being crazy loud. I can still hear the intake, gears, etc well and I also don't feel like if I romp on it then everyone within a quarter mile will be looking my way.

I guess I got lucky overall with the rock. It's a bummer... but not nearly as much as if it had smashed the oil pan, or diff, or transmission. And TurboXS is one of the only companies that sells just the axleback. So at least I can just get that vs the whole new catback.

And nope, hers is stock minus a Cobb intake and an AP with Stage 1 tune. She got it thinking it was stock with an Injen intake... when it showed up off the truck and I could get a good look at it, it looks like it definitely had a downpipe, 3 port EBCS, and maybe more. The previous owner took it back to stock but didn't do the best job.

We got her the Cobb intake and AP and flashed Stage 1 before she ever drove it, not having any idea what tune was on it. At first it wouldn't boost past 10psi... turns out it was just that it didn't have a restrictor pill. Got that in and now it runs like a champ. It's funny, but the car is really SO good in just nearly-stock form. Fun to rip around in it for sure.

Registered

True, coulda been worse for sure.

All too regular story of someone of someone going back to stock poorly...at least you can turn it around now. And yeah stock still has a good amount of performance; it mean a lot of people forget it was a big deal when these came to the US in 2004...now we have things like the ZR1, HC Demon, etc. etc. and the world has moved on.

Registered

That was a big rock! Glad it didn't hit anything vital.

Registered

Those exhaust "expanders" they rent at the auto parts stores should be long around to reach down there if you unbolt it. They won't make it perfect but can help push it back out some. Heat it up first.

Registered
Discussion Starter #99 (Edited)

Those exhaust "expanders" they rent at the auto parts stores should be long around to reach down there if you unbolt it. They won't make it perfect but can help push it back out some. Heat it up first.
Haven't heard of those before, I'll have to check them out. The biggest thing that bothers me is how it now hangs an inch or two lower than before. :(

Tried out Launch Control for the first time the other day. I've always launched the car without it but I figured I'd see what it was all about.

Built about 10psi at 4500 rpm before I let her fly. Interestingly enough, it spun the tires less than it usually does when I launch (and I was on my less-grippy street tires too). Normally I give it some revs then floor it and drop/slip the clutch around 6k or so. Initially I was thinking that would make for a faster launch but now I'm wondering if the quick spin and grab could end up breaking axles (hi Sal ;) )

Registered

Dan, I can answer your question categorically with a resounding YES!

81 - 100 of 117 Posts