IW STi Forum banner

61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Exactly. Probably took 30 minutes to do the install total... and now that the two outside attachment spots are in place (attached to the OEM belt bolts on the drivers side front and rear) it literally takes under a minute to put the harnesses in and take them out. The thing that takes the longest is feeding the belts through the harness holes in the seat back. You don't remove the stock belts at all.

Also cool... you really don't see any evidence of them when they are out. The rear attachment point tucks into the rear seats so it's hidden and the front one is only visible by a couple inches. If I had black instead of red I doubt you'd see it at all. As it is, you gotta look for it.

And again... they actually are approved by the DOT, TUV, AND are legal to run in NASA and SCCA events. NASA seems to be the most stringent... here's from their rules:

The Schroth belts specifically say, on the belt, that they meet FMVSS 209 and they specifically say "only for use in Subaru WRX/STi models".

I'm imagining that I'll be questioned about them at tech... but I plan on printing out that section of the rules and I think it should be all good.

As far as functionality, I love them. I wouldn't want to run them on the street as they hold you VERY firmly... but on the one Time Attack I've done with them so far they were amazing.
The group I run with might question them, but if I'll just make sure I show all of what you mentioned and they should be fine with all that.

I can't tell from your pictures, did you get the "pro" model with the camlock and AST (anti-submarine tech.) or the standard model? I'm still a little leery of how the AST works, but I saw the video and it sure does work. Schroth certainly knows their stuff so I should probably just chalk it up to them having done the research and designing something that works.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
The group I run with might question them, but if I'll just make sure I show all of what you mentioned and they should be fine with all that.

I can't tell from your pictures, did you get the "pro" model with the camlock and AST (anti-submarine tech.) or the standard model? I'm still a little leery of how the AST works, but I saw the video and it sure does work. Schroth certainly knows their stuff so I should probably just chalk it up to them having done the research and designing something that works.
I got the standard ones. Both the standard and the pro models both have the anti-submarine tech, while the pro ones also have provisions for a HANS device. I don't have a HANS device so I got the normal model.

I was also a bit wary of the anti-submarine tech... after watching the videos I was more convinced. What really sold me is all the different government safety bodies (DOT, FMV, TUV, etc) that have certified them. If they've passed that level of testing, I feel comfortable with them.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Finally a race day!

First up... fresh goodies!

So pretty I almost didn't want to tear around on them! Almost... :cool:

I've always driven a decent distance to races or track days... which means my car was always crazy dirty at the event. This time, I decided to give it a bit of love the night before.

My girlfriend lives near the track and also races. So she helped me get the car prepped.

Figured while it was clean, I'd get a few shots of some of the other mods I did over the winter.

First up... new exhaust. Went with a TurboXS catback that I got for a crazy deal ($280 brand new). The Tomei is awesome, but a bit louder than I want for everyday, plus I'm not a huge fan of the giant angled tip. So far... loving the way the TurboXS sounds. Not too quiet but takes it down a couple notches.

Then, if you look into the lower grill, you can see the Mishimoto power steering cooler. Hopefully this will help eliminate the issue I've had of power steering cutting out during quick transitions on track. This course wasn't the tightest ever, but no issues so far! It's not 100% straight... but it's tough to line up and you don't see it unless you are virtually on the ground so I'm not too concerned for the moment.

The event went awesome. It was a pre-season practice event, so doesn't count for points... but everyone was still going full out. I was pretty stoked to win my class and take 2nd fastest time of the day overall out of 190 cars -- including Vettes, Porsches, a 500+ whp STi on 315 Hoosiers, and many more. Super gratifying as I've been working hard to get my skills and my car to a competitive place and it seems like things are finally getting there. Not all the fastest guys were there, so we will see what happens later in the season, but I did manage to squeeze ahead of some guys who were consistently beating me last season. So progress!

I also took my girlfriend's mom out for a couple ridealong laps. She'd come out to one event before but just spectated. It was very fun to give her a taste of why we love this so much.

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts
Re: Brapp's 05 STi - "Roxy" -- Finally a race day!

Avoid Swaintec........I had issue and they tried to blame their error on UPS, even told me to my face at PRI. I will never do business with them again, ever.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #65

Avoid Swaintec........I had issue and they tried to blame their error on UPS, even told me to my face at PRI. I will never do business with them again, ever.
It was actually your post in your journal that made me consider taking my business elsewhere. And it seems like you aren't the first to have issues either.

I'm okay spending money on an expensive product, but not at all okay when a company isn't willing to stand behind it.

Thinking right now the best call is to get an uncoated header and go the route YamahaSHO suggested with finding a good local shop to ceramic coat it.

·
Premium Member
5,286 Posts
Re: Brapp's 05 STi - "Roxy" - now with extra awesomesauce

So next up... getting suspension up to par. First autocross is the end of April... so have until about then to figure out what I want to do.

I was going to go for Feal fixed perch struts + RCE blacks + Whiteline camber bolts.

But... thinking to cut back on the budget just a tad. So I was thinking RCE blacks + camber bolts.

Then I did a bunch of research and found out how often camber bolts can slip. Also not tooooo stoked as I'm in a fairly small town, and no performance shops around. My last alignment (and the one on my 2010 STi with camber bolts) was done by one dude who really knew what he was doing and cared to take the time to get it perfect. But he moved out of town. So thinking to keep it simpler.

Now thinking... ideally this year I'll do RCE blacks + some sort of camber plate. Currently debating between the RCE camber plates (non-lowering) or the Whiteline Com-C plates. The Whitelines are a good bit less expensive and claim to offer up to -3.5 degrees camber plus some caster. The RCE ones are claiming similar. I do like the adjustability of the RCE plates though.

Any thoughts out there?
Feal rebuild, Blacks and camber plate are harsh as hell - if you care - I have 100K on mine.
I would try Comm-s, though in may case I just think that for 2 or 3 times the cost my car could handle and ride significantly better . . . and that it would be worth it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Re: Brapp's 05 STi - "Roxy" - now with extra awesomesauce

Feal rebuild, Blacks and camber plate are harsh as hell - if you care - I have 100K on mine.
I would try Comm-s, though in may case I just think that for 2 or 3 times the cost my car could handle and ride significantly better . . . and that it would be worth it.
Appreciate the thoughts...

I was actually pretty set on the Feal struts or the Feal 441 coilovers, but somehow ended up on the phone with RCE after they posted an open box special and wound up with a brand new set of Tarmac 2 coilovers :lol:

So I've been running those since September with Com-C top hats in the front and Group-N in the rear. Didn't get as much camber as I thought I'd get... with both the coilovers and the Com-C's I get a max of -2.4 degrees in the front, but that's about what I'd want anyways so I'm ok with it.

I love these coilovers though. They were a good bit more money than I was planning on spending but I haven't had even a moment of buyer's remorse. They feel fantastic on track and are plenty comfortable on the street (for me at least).

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

I, like Daryl, also had issues with Swaintech - ignoring my specific instructions for coating not one, but two separate uppipes being rendered unusable(without much time being spent to fix their error that shouldn't have even happened in the first place if they had not ignored my instructions) at $300-a-piece + coating costs, and they told me I had to deal with it and that I was SOL. It's in my journal a ways back.

I'm not using them again.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

Dan,
I saw you mentioned you were having power steering issues. I had the same problem on my 2004 2.5RS. Turned out to be the power steering fluid. I had switched it out to Redline D4 ATF. It didn't work properly. On slaloms it felt like the pump couldn't keep up and I would momentarily lose power steering. I went back to the OEM Subaru fluid and the problem disappeared. I've never had this issue on my STI, but it's only ever had OEM fluid.

As for Swaintech... my Killer B header came coated in Swaintech White Lightening and it came out fine. They did spray the outer part of the V-band connection. I would not have done that, but it still went together without a lot of fuss. That stuff does sort of melt off which makes a mess. Especially around the collector. I prefer inconel heat-shielding, but it's so tight in that area already.

As for powdercoating there's a place in Wheatridge called Applied Plastics. I haven't been there in a couple years, but the guy that does the work is an autocrosser. His name is Casey and he does a really nice job. He's done the ceramic coatings on my car and my snowmobile. That said I'm not sure those coatings are as effective as White Lightening. According to Chris at Killer B they are not. I don't know one way or the other, but everything Casey has coated for me has been holding up well.

·
Super Moderator
8,398 Posts
I do believe that SwainTech is better than regular ceramic sprayed at a local shop, but that shit is still hot and still emits lots of heat.

You really want to see what matters, look at what the F1 cars do... Shielding, insulation, and reflection. They have plenty of money for a coating and they don't bother.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #71

I, like Daryl, also had issues with Swaintech - ignoring my specific instructions for coating not one, but two separate uppipes being rendered unusable(without much time being spent to fix their error that shouldn't have even happened in the first place if they had not ignored my instructions) at $300-a-piece + coating costs, and they told me I had to deal with it and that I was SOL. It's in my journal a ways back.

I'm not using them again.
Damn. That's ridiculous.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #72

Dan,
I saw you mentioned you were having power steering issues. I had the same problem on my 2004 2.5RS. Turned out to be the power steering fluid. I had switched it out to Redline D4 ATF. It didn't work properly. On slaloms it felt like the pump couldn't keep up and I would momentarily lose power steering. I went back to the OEM Subaru fluid and the problem disappeared. I've never had this issue on my STI, but it's only ever had OEM fluid.

As for Swaintech... my Killer B header came coated in Swaintech White Lightening and it came out fine. They did spray the outer part of the V-band connection. I would not have done that, but it still went together without a lot of fuss. That stuff does sort of melt off which makes a mess. Especially around the collector. I prefer inconel heat-shielding, but it's so tight in that area already.

As for powdercoating there's a place in Wheatridge called Applied Plastics. I haven't been there in a couple years, but the guy that does the work is an autocrosser. His name is Casey and he does a really nice job. He's done the ceramic coatings on my car and my snowmobile. That said I'm not sure those coatings are as effective as White Lightening. According to Chris at Killer B they are not. I don't know one way or the other, but everything Casey has coated for me has been holding up well.
Yeah, I've been fighting the power steering thing for a bit. The December Time Attack I think I probably had no power steering for 20+% of the track. I tried switching to the Redline high-temp ATF last fall, but it didn't have any noticeable impact. My mechanic and I were guessing that the pump was getting old and weak and when I was really throwing it around on sticky RE-71r's that it was just a bit too much for it.

So far I just have last month's practice event on the new pump with the cooler, but I didn't have any issues. It wasn't a super tight track so it wasn't fully tested, but I think I would have been having issues on the old pump. So that's encouraging.

It sounds like the White Lightning is better than standard ceramic... but I'm leaning towards ceramic anyways with all the poor reviews I've been hearing about Swaintech. Glad to hear of a good shop! I might be looking into his pricing this season. I'm really trying to decide whether or not the Killer B header is worth it to me. It seems like a great mod for so many reasons... but the price tag is creeping up towards $2500 and that just seems like a TON of money for a header.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #73

I do believe that SwainTech is better than regular ceramic sprayed at a local shop, but that shit is still hot and still emits lots of heat.

You really want to see what matters, look at what the F1 cars do... Shielding, insulation, and reflection. They have plenty of money for a coating and they don't bother.
That's interesting for sure. I do like the look of the Inconel shields you were talking about. Seems like a great option especially compared to traditional heatwrap.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

Yeah, I've been fighting the power steering thing for a bit. The December Time Attack I think I probably had no power steering for 20+% of the track. I tried switching to the Redline high-temp ATF last fall, but it didn't have any noticeable impact. My mechanic and I were guessing that the pump was getting old and weak and when I was really throwing it around on sticky RE-71r's that it was just a bit too much for it.

So far I just have last month's practice event on the new pump with the cooler, but I didn't have any issues. It wasn't a super tight track so it wasn't fully tested, but I think I would have been having issues on the old pump. So that's encouraging.
It sounds like you're getting it sorted out. Though that's the first time I've heard of a p/s pump wearing out like that.

It sounds like the White Lightning is better than standard ceramic... but I'm leaning towards ceramic anyways with all the poor reviews I've been hearing about Swaintech. Glad to hear of a good shop! I might be looking into his pricing this season. I'm really trying to decide whether or not the Killer B header is worth it to me. It seems like a great mod for so many reasons... but the price tag is creeping up towards $2500 and that just seems like a TON of money for a header.
Yea, they are costly. That's even a lot more than I paid a six years ago. There might have been a sale or special going on at the time too though.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #75

It sounds like you're getting it sorted out. Though that's the first time I've heard of a p/s pump wearing out like that.
We will see. Hoping that's the thing! It was definitely doing some whining even just going lock to lock on flat ground with sticky tires. Right now the biggest hope is that it isn't something with the rack.

SubySal said:
Yea, they are costly. That's even a lot more than I paid a six years ago. There might have been a sale or special going on at the time too though.
I think the base header with up-pipe, with EGT bung is about $1800. Then sounding like either $250 ish for Swaintech (with reported issues and a LONG wait time... 8-10 weeks or more) or order from RSD and get it coated by a local shop for $500-$700. And then, of course, the cost of a retune to get the most from it.

It sounds like ELH is such a great mod for a ton of reasons but that's a lot of money to pay for the performance gain. There's always the option of going a cheaper route, say a Tomei for $700 or even a MAP (same 4-1 style as Killer B) for about $1k. But then they are just 304 SS and I'd really rather not buy something that seems virtually guaranteed to crack at some point in time.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #79

Gotcha. How long did you run the Invidia for?

The material is the biggest thing that has me hesitant to go for another header. I take it to autox and time attack events regularly and it sees probably 4-6 track days a year as well. Nothing too crazy, but still a good bit more heat than most street cars see. I'd rather not have to be replacing headers every couple years.

61 - 80 of 117 Posts