IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Re: Brapp's 05 STi - "Roxy" - now with extra awesomesauce

Sad update...

Sometimes you give people a ride to the airport and they give you some gas money or some beers.
Sometimes you take people to the airport, and they somehow damage your new seats.

No idea what my coworker was wearing, but it gouged the fuck out of the passenger seat bottom. Didn't completely tear the leather at least, but it looks like someone took their keys and tried to cut through the seat for a good three inches or so right in the middle.

·
Registered
584 Posts

Sad update...

Sometimes you give people a ride to the airport and they give you some gas money or some beers.
Sometimes you take people to the airport, and they somehow damage your new seats.

No idea what my coworker was wearing, but it gouged the fuck out of the passenger seat bottom. Didn't completely tear the leather at least, but it looks like someone took their keys and tried to cut through the seat for a good three inches or so right in the middle.
That sucks :( hopefully repairs won't be too costly.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

Yeah, not really too sure on steps to take. I could get a new base made but it's not cheap.

In the meantime... currently freaking out a bit about spending the weekend in Denver. Been seeing so many stories about stolen GD wrx/sti's ... with 04-05 STi seeming to be the most targeted as the 04 didn't have immobilizers and the 05s look pretty much the same.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts

Sorry to hear about the seat. Sucks.

If your that concerned and believe thieves are driving them away, leave it with an anti theft tune.
Sure PIA but . . .

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

Sorry to hear about the seat. Sucks.

If your that concerned and believe thieves are driving them away, leave it with an anti theft tune.
Sure PIA but . . .
It's more of just hearing lots of stories. I guess car thefts are rising quite quickly in Denver... we get people joining our local Subie group just to post for people to keep a lookout for their stolen car. Kinda like how there's tons of posts in forums from people blowing their motors... but no posts saying "just hit 33k and their motor is great! not blown up!" :rolleyes:

Definitely planning on using the anti-theft map. Sounds like it's not uncommon for thieves to pull the battery cable to disable alarms which would reset the map though. Thinking I might just actually flash it as the base map. Not the biggest fan of the idea of that idea, but I think probably worth it for some peace of mind.

I do know it'll be in a covered parking garage. So I think the chances of someone trying to put it on a flatbed are pretty darn low.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)

On a happier note... got these goodies in the mail yesterday. Gotta say, definitely impressed with Cygnus Performance with these. First time ordering from them, free shipping was supposed to have them show up on Thursday, they got here Monday. Awesome.

Whiteline Com-C strut mounts.

Stoked to get these on. Car is handling well right now but I would really like some sharper turn-in. Only running about -0.8 degrees negative camber in the front (as much as the stock bolts would allow). Debated adding camber bolts, but after reading many stories of them slipping, figured I'd go ahead and try these.

Sounds like I should be able to hit -2.0 up front with some added caster as well. Very excited for that. Could probably go even a bit more than that up front, though not sure if I want to or not.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

Got the Com-C's on... got -1.85 degrees camber in the front and about 5.5 degrees caster. Pretty excited to see how that feels. Also added a cheapo ebay front strut tower brace. Actually shocked at how much of a difference it made. Turn in feels much sharper with it.

Super stoked to be headed to Pikes Peak Raceway to do a Time Attack this weekend. Found out about it on these forums actually. They just posted course map for this weekend.

Last thing to do is to quiet down the brakes some. They are screaming absolute murder on any stop. The rotors definitely got glazed at the last autox... thinking they are too worn down. They've been cut once since I've had the car and probably before that some too.

I was looking into drilled/slotted rotors but it sounds like the most recommended setup is just some NAPA blanks. Not sure if the pads are glazed too... can I just get new rotors and do a proper bed in and have them play nicely with the pads? Or is it something where swapping rotors requires a pad swap too?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)

(Video below)

Finally got back out racing! Due to work and other obligations, I've sadly missed the last couple local events. But, thanks to this board and member SubySal, I found out about an awesome race series going on at PPIR, up in Colorado Springs.

Since I have a good friend who lives about 20 minutes from the track, I decided to make the trip.

It was my first Time Attack and also my first time at PPIR, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. I'll admit I was definitely a bit intimidated at first... there were 165 cars there, everything from Civics to GTRs to a full out Audi Quattro group-b rally car. The classes were pretty wide open... I was in AWD A, which is for basically any higher powered AWD car with most any modifications allowed. Most all the cars seemed to pretty prepared -- I definitely felt like one of the most stock ones there.

After the track walk... still definitely feeling intimidated! I've been on track before, but just for a HPDE, not a racing event. It wasn't quite a full-on track course, but it definitely looked fairly fast and there were definitely some walls that could be hit. Turns out PPIR used to be a NASCAR track and as part of the course, we were going up on the bank!

We got 5 timed runs. First run out, took it pretty mellow to learn the course and learn how the car felt with the new alignment stuff on it. I put down a 57 second run and the nerves almost completely disappeared. The course was fun, flowy, and the car felt great.

Next two runs were okay... 2nd run I missed 4th on the straight trying to shift too fast, had to coast for a good bit of the fastest part. Still cut off a bit of time. 3rd run I was doing well until there was a downed cone in the slalom. Unsure of what to do (treat it like autox and stop? keep going?) I dodged it, which upset the car. Tried to save it, ended up going through the finish line sideways. :lol: Still cut a bit of time off the previous runs though!

After that, I started spending a bit more time between runs on the practice course (another awesome thing about the event. A separate, smaller course where you could go take as many runs as you wanted, whenever you wanted).

4th run felt great and I put down a 54.5! I was super stoked... I didn't know for sure, but it seemed like most cars in my class were running in the 55-60 second range. Last run was pretty zesty... wind kicked up HARD which was wild to run in... felt my head getting blown around inside the car on track. But I cut a bit more time off and ended with a 54.3 second run.

After that, the staff kept the track open for almost another full hour for anyone to do fun runs. Probably did another 8 laps or so afterwards.

Got home, looked up times... turned out I took 3rd place out of 17 in AWD A and 14th total out of 165 cars. Super stoked on that. I've been really trying to practice getting smooth and picking good lines and doing as much research and learning as I can. I think I studied THIS at least a half dozen times in the week going up to the race. Really happy it seems to be paying off. :D

For those interested, here's a video of my fastest lap. It's kinda hard to see on the GoPro, but going up on the bank was wild. It looked like a turn you'd NEED to slow down for, but by the end, I was taking it fully flat in 3rd. It 100% felt wrong, like there was no possible way I could make the corner, but the bank just had SO MUCH GRIP.

Overall it was probably my favorite motorsport experience so far. It combined (most of) the speed and line choice of a full out track day with the timing and competition aspect of autocross.

Plus, doesn't hurt it was only $50 for a full day of racing, plus another 15 or so fun run laps, AND no worker assignments!

Unfortunately, I think I'll miss the next one, but there's two more this year that I think I'll be able to make.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Re: Brapp's 05 STi - "Roxy" - first Time Attack!

Wowza, long time no update.

Cars been running great! Finished out the autox season with a class win. Our region groups several classes together, so I won Race 1 group, which is a combination of ASP, SM, SSM, and a few other of the fastest classes. Among the other cars I was up against was a fully prepped STi track car (stripped, caged, lexan, full aero, 6 pot Brembos, running 315 Hoosiers), a 600whp 911 Turbo, 450whp 2015 STi... it's a fairly stacked class.

I've been running usually around 4th in class most of the season with a 2nd place fairly recently, but this is my first time taking a win. Felt pretty proud as I was on a basic Stage 2 power setup on stock suspension with 90k miles on it.

Around that point, I started looking fairly seriously into upgrading the suspension. I'm really happy with my progress as a driver lately and was feeling like I was finally coming close to reaching the limits of the stock struts/springs.

As so often happens, things escalated a bit :lol: I was first looking into Feal fixed perch struts with RCE Black springs, then started to look at the Feal 441 coilovers so I could raise the car up again in the winter, then finally ended up on the phone with RCE placing an order for a set of Tarmac 2 coilovers :eek:

Photo Aug 14, 9 43 06 PM by Dan Walker, on Flickr
Photo Aug 14, 9 43 32 PM by Dan Walker, on Flickr
Photo Sep 05, 9 02 17 AM by Dan Walker, on Flickr

Except for pretty far exceeding my planned budget, I'm incredibly happy with them. The car is just a whole different animal now. It felt great with stock suspension, but it just does silly things now.

Annnnddd then I did another thing.

Photo Aug 19, 3 20 10 PM by Dan Walker, on Flickr

I'd corded my RE-71s at the last autox of the year and was starting to look for new tires when I saw these beauties pop up on the Facebook page for the Time Attack series -- actually for sale by fellow IWSTI member SubySal. Mach V Awesome wheels, 17x9, +42 offset, already mounted with 245/40/17 RE-71s with only a single event of use on them. The price was right and I jumped on it.

I finished out the season with a couple more Time Attacks, taking 3rd in both.

Then, an opportunity popped up last minute for a track day at a small track I'd never heard of out in La Junta, Colorado. I made the drive, met up with a friend, and had pretty much the best time ever.

$100 for a full day of lapping -- 9am to 4pm -- and there were a grand total of 7 cars out there, including me and my friend. Talk about getting seat time in. It was really cool to get that many laps on an uncrowded track, especially such a safe one with so much runoff room.

Now race/track season has mostly come to a close, got one more track day in a couple weeks back down in Phoenix, plus maybe a "just-for-fun" Winter Time Attack event up at PPIR in the beginning of December. Then time for snow tires, raised suspension, and some sideways Subaru snow times :D

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Re: Brapp's 05 STi - "Roxy" - RCE coilovers, Time Attacks, trackdays... the fun conti

Nice updates. Sounds like you're getting more comfortable with the setup. Allows you to get faster....:D

By the way, your YT links are broken...videos won't load.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Re: Brapp's 05 STi - "Roxy" - RCE coilovers, Time Attacks, trackdays... the fun conti

Nice updates. Sounds like you're getting more comfortable with the setup. Allows you to get faster....:D

By the way, your YT links are broken...videos won't load.
Exactly! I'm loving these T2s. I don't mind them at all around town or on roadtrips when set to street settings, and they feel amazing on the track. I'm definitely still learning the limits... with so much more camber, wider tires, and the coilovers... I've definitely taken runs and decided to take a section completely balls out, expecting to not make it, and then having the car easily do exactly what I want it to do.

For the moment, I'm not even messing with the settings or deviating from RCE's recommended track baseline. They feel so good even without more extensive tuning, I'm planning on just getting used to them and then starting to tweak and play with rebound and compression once I feel like I'm pretty well settled with them.

Thanks for the heads up on the links too... they should all be fixed now?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

Indeed. But then again, that's the benefit of suspension mods eh? Gives you some confidence and more ability in the platform.

Nope, vid playback is still an issue.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

Well, with winter about to finally hit us here in Colorado, I think it's about time to raise the car back up.

Anyone have any thoughts on a winter alignment? Gonna need to do it anyways as my toe will get messed up from raising the car and my fairly aggressive summer settings (-2.4 front/-2.0 rear) are a bit overkill for snow tires.

It'll probably just be used for commuting and daily fun for the winter, though I'll be doing some ice racing here in a couple weeks. Should be a really fun time and a new challenge :D

·
Registered
899 Posts
Re: Brapp's 05 STi - "Roxy" - moving into winter mode

If you raise the car your Camber will automatically decrease. Don't have any values on how much though.

I'd say a good setup would be -1° Front, -0,5° Rear and a tad of toe in in the front and neutral / tiny bit of toe in in the rear.

Should give you good traction on snow and not wear down your winter tires badly.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Re: Brapp's 05 STi - "Roxy" - moving into winter mode

If you raise the car your Camber will automatically decrease. Don't have any values on how much though.

I'd say a good setup would be -1° Front, -0,5° Rear and a tad of toe in in the front and neutral / tiny bit of toe in in the rear.

Should give you good traction on snow and not wear down your winter tires badly.
Good point. I'd probably just raise it and not worry about the alignment if it weren't for the toe changes from raising it.

Thanks for the thoughts on alignment! I'd still like it to feel good and reasonably sharp, as well as not run too far on the outside edges while sliding around on the snow/ice. But thinking less camber will be good for tire wear and also braking on slippery surfaces.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Wow been a few months. It's March and I'm starting to get super stoked for race season. The fact we've had very little snow this winter hasn't helped much... feels like I've been running around burning my Blizzaks and never even got to really play around on them or drive them in worthy conditions.

Anyways... done a few things over the winter. Some fun performance things I'll cover soon, but one big thing is I made some pretty significant changes to the interior. Swapped all the door cards and the rear seats out to black 05 WRX stuff and swapped the leather, custom covers on the Recaros out for standard issue black cloth covers.

Long story for this... but really in the end I just don't like leather seats. They looked great, but they were hot and sweaty even on days that weren't very warm.

Adding to that... I'm not really a big interior guy, I really just got the seats to get something more comfortable and supportive, but the massive change from the rest of the interior made them stick out terribly. So I was trying to make everything work together and it was turning into a big, expensive project to make the interior look super fancy. Just not my thing.

So I actually just went and got standard issue, black cloth covers for the seats and changed all the door cards, the carpet, and the rear seats out for 05 WRX black cloth stuff. Now it all looks great and is far more comfortable. It's great to have an interior that finally all matches and looks factory and I much prefer the cloth seats to the leather.

I also added in a Schroth quick-fit harness in red. It's a pretty sweet piece of tech. It's a 4 point harness that is actually approved by the DOT, TUV, and fully meets all the US federal requirements for OE seatbelts. They have some cool things going on to do this... primary of which is their anti-submarine technology. It tightens the lap belt and lets the shoulder belts go slack(er) in the event of a collision to prevent submarining. There is also provisions for rollover situations to let you fold out of the way of a collapsing roof. Pretty cool.

They are also very fast to install and remove... once you get the brackets in it takes 30 seconds to put them in the car or take out. This is great as I only want them for autox/track/time attack usage. So I can run the OE belt on the street and the harness for the track.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Exactly. I got the seats for comfort and for the bolstering and ended up with a full-on interior project. I'm really happy to have it clean, comfortable, and cohesive now.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Whoa. Those harnesses could be a game changer...looks like OE belt functionality is still retained for street use? I had written off the possibility of harnesses since I don't want to commit to a cage. Off to do some research...

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Whoa. Those harnesses could be a game changer...looks like OE belt functionality is still retained for street use? I had written off the possibility of harnesses since I don't want to commit to a cage. Off to do some research...

Exactly. Probably took 30 minutes to do the install total... and now that the two outside attachment spots are in place (attached to the OEM belt bolts on the drivers side front and rear) it literally takes under a minute to put the harnesses in and take them out. The thing that takes the longest is feeding the belts through the harness holes in the seat back. You don't remove the stock belts at all.

Also cool... you really don't see any evidence of them when they are out. The rear attachment point tucks into the rear seats so it's hidden and the front one is only visible by a couple inches. If I had black instead of red I doubt you'd see it at all. As it is, you gotta look for it.

And again... they actually are approved by the DOT, TUV, AND are legal to run in NASA and SCCA events. NASA seems to be the most stringent... here's from their rules:

Section #11.4.8. The only four-point belt systems that are allowed for use in HPDE / TT are 1) those that carry an “FIA B-xxx.T/98 certification, or 2) those that carry a label from the belt manufacturer stating that the belts meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 209 AND that the belts were designated for the specific vehicle (e.g. “For use only in BMW E36 models”). Such label must be easily visible to the NASA inspector. Note- four-point belt sets that have a DOT-only certification are not allowed.
The Schroth belts specifically say, on the belt, that they meet FMVSS 209 and they specifically say "only for use in Subaru WRX/STi models".

I'm imagining that I'll be questioned about them at tech... but I plan on printing out that section of the rules and I think it should be all good.

As far as functionality, I love them. I wouldn't want to run them on the street as they hold you VERY firmly... but on the one Time Attack I've done with them so far they were amazing.

41 - 60 of 117 Posts