IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 117 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Re: Brapp's 05 STi - "Roxy" - now with extra awesomesauce

Send me a PM with seat and shipping cost. Legit Recaro? Country of origin?

·
Registered
899 Posts

Nice Recaro Sportster CS, love the STI logo on them & a good looking Blobeye you got there :cool::tup:

Well:

Welcome to the not so anonymous Subaruholics!
We have beer in the fridge, BBQ in the Backyard and the Racing Simulator is up on the first floor. Feel right at home here with us & enjoy the ride.
It's great you're admitting you have a Problem, the Group here will make sure it will not go away! :D

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Nice Recaro Sportster CS, love the STI logo on them & a good looking Blobeye you got there :cool::tup:

Well:

Welcome to the not so anonymous Subaruholics!
We have beer in the fridge, BBQ in the Backyard and the Racing Simulator is up on the first floor. Feel right at home here with us & enjoy the ride.
It's great you're admitting you have a Problem, the Group here will make sure it will not go away! :D
haha thanks man! :D

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

I also want a PM on those seats, haha!

I had Pavel from PRE Tuning work over the turbo. He did a complete disassembly and rebuild with new OEM parts, and two balancing processes. I did have him install an upgraded billet 11-bladed compressor wheel. So it'll flow more than a standard VF39. I'd say you should look into PRE Tuning; he does quality work.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

I also want a PM on those seats, haha!

I had Pavel from PRE Tuning work over the turbo. He did a complete disassembly and rebuild with new OEM parts, and two balancing processes. I did have him install an upgraded billet 11-bladed compressor wheel. So it'll flow more than a standard VF39. I'd say you should look into PRE Tuning; he does quality work.
You got it.

What kind of gains did you see from that work? I was checking out his site... looks like you could spend almost as much as a new turbo on getting the VF39 all kitted out.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

I actually have yet to run the car since doing all the upgrades, but we'll see soon, should be a decent amount better than a regular 39. I won't be running a ton of boost right away, since I still need to break everything in though. It really wasn't too bad of a price.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts

Lovin' it dude! :tup::cool:

I've been wanting to do the custom mounted Yakima RR for awhile now. Drilling and tapping the rain gutters isn't a problem. But my question to you is, (IF you ever remove the roof rack,) what do you do with the open holes? Put the bolt back in there?

Also what's the difference with the bugeye rear seats? All black? Arm rest?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

Lovin' it dude! :tup::cool:

I've been wanting to do the custom mounted Yakima RR for awhile now. Drilling and tapping the rain gutters isn't a problem. But my question to you is, (IF you ever remove the roof rack,) what do you do with the open holes? Put the bolt back in there?

Also what's the difference with the bugeye rear seats? All black? Arm rest?
Thanks!

So the only hole that would be exposed to the outside would be the mounting hole in the rain gutters, so there's no hole that goes through to the inside of the car and the holes that mount the new bracket are covered by the rain gutter.

I was thinking that I'd find some sort of small rubber plug to fill the hole and protect the mounting threads for times that I have the rack off (probably just for track days really).

You could also just have a second set of rain gutters. I keep the rack on most of the time, so not really worth it to me. But the gutters are fast to take on and off, so if you were someone who ran racks only occasionally (like only in the winter, for example) that could be a good, clean option.

The bugeye seats are dark blue/black ... the main difference that I like is that they have the center pass through to the trunk. Good for me as I like to put skis in there occasionally and I just like having the option. Eventually, I'll probably get 05 WRX rear seats as they are all black, but for now the dark blue with the black matches pretty well.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)

First autox race is tomorrow! Put on Whiteline swaybars (24mm F/R), Kartboy endlinks, Whiteline heavy-duty swaybar mounts, a Killer B radiator shroud, and a new front lip (to replace the one that got ripped off in the heavy snow this winter). Brand-new RE-71R's are mounted... car's ready to rip!

Then... after the install fun, went out and shot a few rolling shots with a buddy. We left late so only had about 20 minutes to shoot before dark, but still came back with some decent goodies.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Fun first day out at autocross for the year -- overall, car felt awesome. The new swaybars are feeling really good so far. Ended up running pretty fast times all day, but had trouble putting down clean runs. Oh well, always learning.

A bit of weirdness going on with the power steering system... once or twice most runs I would very briefly lose power steering. One person said I was probably boiling the fluid (which seems strange to me... but he's a very experienced guy who has run a GD WRX for many years. Still, I've never had that happen with this car, my bugeye, or my previous STi). I'm wondering if the pump is on the way out.

Cool shot my friend got of my brake rotors after morning laps.

·
Registered
671 Posts

Purple rotors! That's the first time I've ever seen that. Wow.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Purple rotors! That's the first time I've ever seen that. Wow.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
I was pretty surprised myself. I've seen that before when breaking in pads and on trackdays... never before at autocross.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

Did you park with hot brakes?
More or less.

It's autocross, so it was a 50ish second lap, after which the car would go back to grid and sit for 5 min or so before my co driver would take a similar lap. Repeat 4-5 times each depending on morning or afternoon session.

I doubt they ever got VERY hot though. It was a chilly day and we couldn't even keep any heat in the tires between laps.

·
Registered
899 Posts

Steel changing color to purple would mean a surface temp of around 540°F.
So not very hot indeed.

Looks fancy though :D:tup:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

Steel changing color to purple would mean a surface temp of around 540°F.
So not very hot indeed.

Looks fancy though :D:tup:
That's interesting to know. I'd imagine that 540 degrees would be pretty easy to hit even at autocross. It sure does look like I was doing some real work with them though! :lol:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

I kinda failed at getting video from this weekend -- here's the one video of my laps that I did get. It was one of my faster raw laps, about 4/10ths off of my fastest pace, but I was trying to take it a bit safer and stop killing cones. All went pretty well until I got too eagar and hit literally the very last cone on course. Oh well. I actually only got 2 clean runs the entire day -- one was quite slow and the other was a full second slower than this lap when I REALLY tried to slow down and keep it clean.

Overall -- it was still a fun day of racing... but I felt pretty sloppy and like I just couldn't really put everything together. Lots of cobwebs to dust off after not being out there for 6 months.

If anyone is interested...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

A bit of weirdness going on with the power steering system... once or twice most runs I would very briefly lose power steering. One person said I was probably boiling the fluid (which seems strange to me... but he's a very experienced guy who has run a GD WRX for many years. Still, I've never had that happen with this car, my bugeye, or my previous STi). I'm wondering if the pump is on the way out.
Yes - if this is still an issue - there's a guy over on NASIOC, Blingstrom, who had the same sort of issues you are describing, where he'd lose steering power at the same point on the course - through a series of switchbacks. Turns out the pump was on the way out. And this was the third remanned pump he went through. His original was having issues, tried the rebuilding DIY route; didn't fix it. Then went through 3 more remanned ones, then recently plunked down on a new OEM one -boom- issues gone and has been running with no issues for a month now I think.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

Yes - if this is still an issue - there's a guy over on NASIOC, Blingstrom, who had the same sort of issues you are describing, where he'd lose steering power at the same point on the course - through a series of switchbacks. Turns out the pump was on the way out. And this was the third remanned pump he went through. His original was having issues, tried the rebuilding DIY route; didn't fix it. Then went through 3 more remanned ones, then recently plunked down on a new OEM one -boom- issues gone and has been running with no issues for a month now I think.

Interesting. I had it looked at... consensus was that the pump was alright. Swapped the fluid out for some with a higher temperature range. Haven't gotten a chance to race again though, so we will see how it goes. Also kinda considering a power steering cooler.

21 - 40 of 117 Posts