IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully I can explain this properly. Here we go. Sometimes when I apply my brakes pretty heavily the car wants to float left and right. It is like your tire is riding in the groves of the highway that big rigs leave and it kind of joggles you left and right. It is kind of un-nderving because it is tough to do heavy braking with only one hand on the steering wheel. Any idea what might be causing it or is it just normal???? I have 1060 miles on the car and this is my first AWD car. So, I am not sure if it is just a characteristic of the car or a charateristic of the Brembos.

Rocky

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Does this happen consistently every time you nail the brakes, and even on straight line braking? Can you narrow down the type of road surfaces when this happens?

There are several possible reasons that may cause this. I am by no means a brake expert; but reasons can be classified as "normal" or something much for serious. It would help if you can narrow down the conditions under which you experience this. And this has nothing to do with the vehicle being a 4WD ;)

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Sounds like you might need an alignment. Some have found their new STis out of wack. I will be going to get mine done next week.

Robert~

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes the car does feel out of line. Should that be covered under warranty? Also, I will make not to monitor it this weekend to see exactly when it is doing it. I am just kind of nervous now to brake hard with only one hand because it does seem to happen fairly often. And when I say brake hard, I don't mean brakes to the floor. Just a good steady heavy pressure. So now I am having to brake, most of the times with two hands, which keeps me from effectively downshifting.

Thanks for the speedy replies!

Rocky

·
Registered
347 Posts
check your tire pressures, and make sure they're the same left/right. then go to a reputable alignment shop and have them check the car. the dealer may cover this, as some of them contract out for alignment work, but check w/ your dealer first, and let them know what is up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts