IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I’m not a car aficionado(yet). I got the STI because autocross looks like fun. I race motorcycles so I understand the importance of rev matching. So here I am trying to learn to "blip" a car. Wow, this is much harder than a bike. Maybe I’m not doing it well but the brake pedal and gas don’t seam close enough together. I guess I could get a wider shoe, but I am not a duck. Anyway, I see a lot of after market pedals that have the port side enlarged to accommodate the side of foot. Anyone who "heel toes" have any insight. I hate to replace those shiny new pedals that came stock, but I would rather that than eat a pine tree because my foot slips off brake (again).???????

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had the same problem as you. I found these and they make it a lot easier for me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
that's right...
the edge of the accel. pedal on the STi pedal kits
allows for easy heel/toe action :)

STi pedals come in blue, gold or silver as seen.

You can get em for $140 + freight....
let me know if you need more info.

If it's heel/toe you want... these pedals
will definately do the trick.

jamie

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
sacsti said:
...but I am not a duck....
well i'm a duck (wide-footed) and for everyday driving, it's not a problem. the problems occur when i'm at the track and have to brake really hard and blip at the same time. gotta get me some pedals. (or maybe better technique?)

G

·
I'm not having any trouble double clutching or heel toeing with the stock pedals.

I think with a little more practice, you will get comfortable with it and won't need any accessories.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I actually ordered those pedals a while back with my mudflaps but have not installed them yet. Like mistkerl said, during the 2 months it took me to get them I got comfortable with the stock pedals. Plus those STi pedals are so purdy and after seeing my stock pedals all beat up, I almost hate to use them. I will more than likely wait till spring now to put them on.

·
Registered
347 Posts
good general resource for brake info

It doesn't matter what I read, I cannot force my feet to do that! Without leaning my right knee dramatically to the left, I cannot get the heel of my right foot to the right of the ball. And, as my knee can't move past the steering wheel, that's pretty much impossible to do. If the brake and accelerator were closer together, I figure I could just rock my foot over to "blip" the throttle. Would this just be a terrible thing to do from a safety point of view?

G

·
Don't forget only the toe goes on the brake, not the entire foot. So the top left part of your foot and the lower right bottom of your heel. I have a small foot and have no problem reaching both. Although maybe it is tougher for someone taller, I dunno. :eek:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
turbs said:
Although maybe it is tougher for someone taller, I dunno. :eek:
yeah, i think this may be part of it. i'm 6'1". my seat is slid three or four clicks from the back. in some situations (again, only at the track; it's all fine on the road) my knee bumps the column.

i've tried using my heel, but the combination of being "tall" and not having double jointed ankles made it a really unreliable technique for me. when blipping, i would inadvertantly come off the brake slightly, defeating the point of heel-toeing; a smooth transition to a lower gear that does not upset the balance of the car.

crazytrain, have you seen the jdm's best motoring '04 sti video? they have a race between the sti, spec c, evo, etc. in the video, they have really nice shots of the drivers heel-toeing. all the drivers blip with the mid-right part of their foot; this is how i do it also. they don't use their heel, despite what many heel-toe webpages show. i extracted just the 10minute race. i'm uploading it now; should be done by 1400edt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts