IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever try EBC Greenstuff brake pads? thats all i see listed in tirerack.com. what other brands of pads are out there that doesn't spew out ridiculous amounts of dust but still has the same or a little less performance than the one we have now? how much are they for a set? i tried searching yahoo for "brembo brake pads" and didn't really come up with anything =[

·
Registered
219 Posts
The pads that are on your car are more expensive than and create a whole lot more dust than the aftermarket stuff, but was designed with performance in mind. The bottom line is that your car will stop better with the original pads.

·
Registered
347 Posts
any pad that drastically reduces the amount of dust on the rims is probably so hard that is doesn't slow the car as well as the stock, or other high performance pads. search around on here, i think that there have been some recommendations made for pads that are as good but much less exspensive than stock. or talk to [email protected], he had some good ideas for me...

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Little help with A/F Guage install...

I've used EBC Greens. There's definitely less brake dust, they work well compared to stock(what doesn't), but they're; A) too pricey and B) 20k is the maximum life expectancy under "normal" driving conditions.

·
Registered
153 Posts
For street/auto-x/track I use DS2500 pads on any application Ferodo makes them for - but then I also auto-x and track. Relative to equivalent coefficient brake pads on smooth rotors they have very low dust. If you are able to out drive these pads - there are no street pads that will work for what you are doing and you need DS3000 up front - but they are not good for street use.

Ferodo DS2500 pad information:
  • Race developed.
    Performs equally well on heavy and light cars.
    20% less pad wear than competitive products.
    Disc friendly.
    Minimal bedding-in. Supplied ready to use.
    Consistent friction level with changing temperatures and speeds to give optimal pedal modulation. (~0.50 friction from 300* to 1,000*)
    High friction level at very high temperatures.
    35% less compressability than competitive products (racing pedal feel).
Streetable high performance:
  • Less noise for increased driving comfort.
    High friction level at low temperature (good cold braking).
https://chargedperformance.ixwebhosting.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21

·
Registered
347 Posts
wow, not very expensive, either...sounds like a good way to go.

·
Registered
129 Posts
In2Deep said:
The pads that are on your car are more expensive than and create a whole lot more dust than the aftermarket stuff, but was designed with performance in mind. The bottom line is that your car will stop better with the original pads.
The pads on your car were designed with cost and noise in mind. They're absolute crap. Just because it bears a brembo logo doesnt mean it isn't OE junk. I switched to the porterfield R4S and there's a WORLD of difference in brake feel and consistency. Peak braking distances are probably not changed much as braking is tire limited until around 70 mph.

·
Registered
129 Posts
SRT-4_Destroyer Interior Pics

Hmm. maybe I was a little harsh calling the stock pads junk. It's just that I'm very disappointed with them. The STi's brembos were a big selling point for me and I'm sure they were a major decision point for many of the enthusiasts that chose to buy these cars. Having owned BBKs in the past, I was surprised with the poor fade resistance and feel of the brembos.

OEMs have to consider a number of factors when designing a car. This is the reason you can pick up substantial power from making changes to the ECU. Performance isn't #1 on the list of priorities. In the case of brakes, the stock pads have to be a compromise that takes into account

Pad Life (cant be having to replace them often under warranty)
Noise (dont want customers complaining of squeal and grinding)
Thermal Range (must offer good performance in all climates where vehicle is sold ... Death Valley and Anchorage)
Rotor Life (cant be too abrasive, dont want to be replacing rotors under warranty)
Dust (seems like subaru decided this was a place they could compromise)

My list of priorities is very different. I want to see a pad that considers the following in this order:

Important:
Rotor Life (I cant afford to be replacing rotors often)
Performance/Fade (Performance comes second only to my wallet)

Not Important:
Temperature (I live in TX. Cold performance is a non-issue, although the pad does need to be range to perform OK on the street)
Noise (unless it's screeching like a banshee I dont care)
Dust (whatever. I'd like less but this isnt a cadillac)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Well, I am with Nathan; I wouldn't call the stock pads "junk" :) but they can be improved.

Our choices have always been either Porterfield R4S for street/auto-x or Hawk HP+. For track we use Porterfield R4 or Hawk Blue. Currently we have R4S on the STi, and we will be using R4 at VIR in March; and might change to Hawk Blue mid summer when it really gets hot and humid. Hawk Blue pads are truly incredable, but they do shorten rotor life; for good reason too, they'll stop you no matter what :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
In two weeks at VIR we will be running the DS2500 front & rear - that course will be a sufficient test of whether or not we want to use DS3000 on the front for the track or not.

I have pretty much come to expect most any affordable performance car is going to come with OEM pads prone to fading - however it is a huge disappointment when the OEM pads are fade prone yet still wear the rotors in the manner that they do. Fortunately I have not tracked the OEM pads but I have felt the nice lip left by others that have. Now if we could just find a decent two piece replacement rotor that doesn't slot or cross drill them. :-?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
i was thinking about just buying a set of pads and storing them... wanted to buy those replace often items to have some what of a stock of them (would hate to be broke and need them)
is there any problems or anything i should know about with storing them?

i see a few different pads mentioned.. and as far as normal use.. with a few solo2 and rallycross races (nothing serious) the Porterfield R4S should work out well for me? (last long and work well)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
my daily driving is over 80.... hmmmmmm i dont speed :-|

compaired to the stock pads are they much worse? the stock ones seem to work a-ok for me..

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
if you get slotted rotors do you need different pads? im guess not.. but have to ask..
also you mention changing break fluid.. it makes that much of a difference?

please refer to the sig...... :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
they're much better than stock in every aspect. But if you track them and frequently have to haul the car down from high speed, you'll fade the R4S pads. Granted, they last longer than the stock pads but they're not ideal for repeated abuse.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I'd agree with nathan, they are not for multiple track-day pads. We got barely 2 days out of them at VIR, but they were consistent.

If you will do heavy tracking, you should change to track pads at the track, that is the best way.

Changing brake fluid makes significant difference at the track and also SS brake lines. For brake fluid, I'd recommend Motul RBF 600 in the category of cheap and Castrol SRF for serious tracking.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Egan said:
Ed,

How did the DS2500's fair at VIR?
Wonderfully, the same progressive steady bite and fade free performance that has had me buying them again and again on many cars. I am actually anxiously awaiting the day when I am able to push the limits far enough to need DS3000's, but it isn't going to happen on any street tire that is for sure. I have never had the 2500's not be able to handle the thresholds even the best street tires can provide. Maybe by the end of the season with additional seat time and after I get a set of R's I can find out just where the limits of the 2500's are.

And still handled the first brake of the morning very well, while winter hanged on for so long this year.

And of course the Castrol SRF was never even concerned with the heat generated.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts