IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving forward from reverse causes all pads to slide and hit pins (calipers). And driving reverse from forward. Constantly driving in one direction is fine. Sounds like I am hitting another car, especially while parallel parking in the city (had to argue with a guy that I did not hit his car). Pads installed are the Hawk HPS. This should not be normal after talking with Hawk Performance and Brembo. Pads match model for the brembos. None of these guys heard of this problem and could not offer any help except Brembo says to check for bent or deformed pins (have not done yet). Nor Have I gone back to the OEM's.

How many people have this problem? And who has fixed it?

·
Banned
8,265 Posts
the pads touch the calipers no matter what, thats how the brakes are set up.

Hawk HPS are noisy from what I hear, however your best bet is to pull off the wheel and make sure everything is OK.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah not scary loud, just as you described. Its louder when your out of the car. Had my roomate drive forward an reverse. It sounds like you have the exact same problem. How long have you been driving with this?

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have this same noise with my hawks. I usually get it when im going forward-brake-reverse-break. It sounds like the pads are knocking back and forth. I was told that this is pad "knockback" and it is normal for the brembos. Im hoping that is true.

·
Registered
21 Posts
OP,

I had the Hawks in for about two weeks now. Since then, I have driven about 1500 miles though.

Like Partysub said, I am just hoping its normal. I can accept this noise no problem, the STi is full of strange sounds anyway. A brake failure....that I can't accept. :(

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
STIky said:
Driving forward from reverse causes all pads to slide and hit pins (calipers). And driving reverse from forward. Constantly driving in one direction is fine. Sounds like I am hitting another car, especially while parallel parking in the city (had to argue with a guy that I did not hit his car). Pads installed are the Hawk HPS. This should not be normal after talking with Hawk Performance and Brembo. Pads match model for the brembos. None of these guys heard of this problem and could not offer any help except Brembo says to check for bent or deformed pins (have not done yet). Nor Have I gone back to the OEM's.

How many people have this problem? And who has fixed it?
Same issue - the pads are not an EXACT fit compared to the brembo pads. I think it is normal...took everything apart and inspected - checked out ok.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Maybe we should all email Hawk and complain - maybe they will compensate us somehow. As far as I know it is just a result of their design. I don't know of a way to resolve it short of throwing the pads away and getting something else.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Singletrack said:
Maybe we should all email Hawk and complain - maybe they will compensate us somehow. As far as I know it is just a result of their design. I don't know of a way to resolve it short of throwing the pads away and getting something else.
My OEM pads do it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.