IW STi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search, so don't flame me. I didn't come across anything, maybe I put in the wrong phrases. Anyway, I just had the dealer inspect my brakes to see how much pad life I have left. Just playing it safe, I was told my fronts are 6-7mm and my rears 3-4mm. They said I was in the clear. What's the recommended mm thickness to change the pads, if you have none of the tell tale signs (squealing, pulling, shudder)? I don't want it to go too long then I have to replace my rotors as well. Riding on stock Brembo's and pads, I'm planning on using HSPN's brake change tutorial when the time is right to upgrade pads & rotors.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Backing plates is a sure sign they are done. That's usually where my race pads wind up, and surprisingly they work well up to that point.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RyanC said:
Backing plates is a sure sign they are done. That's usually where my race pads wind up, and surprisingly they work well up to that point.
Danka x2!

·
Registered
422 Posts
The stock pads have a little "squealer" that will let you know when they are close to gone. Take care of the rotors. They are brutally expensive.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
The '06 (maybe others too) has a warranty that covers pad wear (believe it or not). They need to be at or below 3mm i believe.

It is semi true that they work well even when almost worn out but they have seen so many heat cycles that their composition has changed slightly and they cannot take as much heat as they did when thicker/newer.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Web_Foot_STi said:
^ It's true, but you have to be below 36k miles and 3 years. I'm just out and know how expensive the stock parts are...
Mine were at 4mm after 17K miles but they wouldnt warranty them until I used another 1mm!:scurred:

I went ahead and upgraded the whole setup anyway at my expense. I hate my dealer.

·
Registered
969 Posts
My dealership told me they need to be down to 1.5mm before they can be covered under warranty. Am I being lied to?

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Im not sure but 1.5 mm on the trailing edge of the pad could easily represent zero on the leading edge. Pads never wear exactly evenly, esp on a relatively long pad like ours.

I guess you need to research your warranty manual some more or call corporate. Poss an out of area dealer will tell you the straight scoop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts