IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have recommendations for brake pads? The ones that came stock on my 2019 are already 3/4 shaved and are pretty loud in terms of squeaking since getting the car. Anyone know of quality long lasting brake pads for spirited daily driving with minimal noise, dust? Thanks guys would appreciate any recommendations

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Project Mu B-force pads are my go to pads. Excellent hot and cold stopping power and amazing initial bite. Also very low dust compared to stock. I would just make sure you lube them up real well when installing them. Also clean and lube up the area that they sit in inside the caliper.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've been using Stoptech Sport pads and they seem to work well. Lower dust than stock and held up fine on the track , though the track was a shorter tight track so I'm not sure how they will hold up on tracks with high speed corners or straights. They are also cheap from Rockauto.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Project Mu B-force pads are my go to pads. Excellent hot and cold stopping power and amazing initial bite. Also very low dust compared to stock. I would just make sure you lube them up real well when installing them. Also clean and lube up the area that they sit in inside the caliper.
I been checking them out but I was just unsure if I should pull the trigger or not considering I've never had the experience with them. Ur helping me lean more to them thank you brotha. Any track experience with them just out of curiosity?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been using Stoptech Sport pads and they seem to work well. Lower dust than stock and held up fine on the track , though the track was a shorter tight track so I'm not sure how they will hold up on tracks with high speed corners or straights. They are also cheap from Rockauto.
Haven't heard about em. Gotta check em out man, thank you I appreciate it

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I been checking them out but I was just unsure if I should pull the trigger or not considering I've never had the experience with them. Ur helping me lean more to them thank you brotha. Any track experience with them just out of curiosity?

No, no track experience for me at all to be honest. Although i have done plenty of "spirited" (aggressive) driving on country/mountain back roads and they have been absolutely great. My brake combo is Project Mu B-Force pads with DBA 4000 T3 slotted rotors front and back. Provided my brakes werent rusted out since i dont put miles on my car, the brakes would last well over 30,000 miles. My combo isnt cheap but it also isnt the most expensive. I feel that it provides great results and is visually eye pleasing.

Prior to my current set up, when the car reached 27K i ended up doing a pad slap to stop tech pads on stock rotors. They were ok. I though there we less dust than oem with very similar braking characteristics as the stock oem stuff. Really the only thing i noticed was that they were less noisy and less dust than the oem, also way cheaper lol. I would still prefer my current set up over the stop tech stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, no track experience for me at all to be honest. Although i have done plenty of "spirited" (aggressive) driving on country/mountain back roads and they have been absolutely great. My brake combo is Project Mu B-Force pads with DBA 4000 T3 slotted rotors front and back. Provided my brakes werent rusted out since i dont put miles on my car, the brakes would last well over 30,000 miles. My combo isnt cheap but it also isnt the most expensive. I feel that it provides great results and is visually eye pleasing.

Prior to my current set up, when the car reached 27K i ended up doing a pad slap to stop tech pads on stock rotors. They were ok. I though there we less dust than oem with very similar braking characteristics as the stock oem stuff. Really the only thing i noticed was that they were less noisy and less dust than the oem, also way cheaper lol. I would still prefer my current set up over the stop tech stuff.
Seriously appreciate the info my guy, thank you much. The more u comment on them the more I want em lol

·
Premium Member
5,336 Posts
Another Project_u B-force user. I will say that they did not have much bite compard to the brakes on the car when I bought it. Like Jay I've always high end DBA rotors. Still they are the best pad I've had on my car and on my car they lasted as long as the rotors!!! That was 100K mi. I mostly like the zero compression and feel they provided. I couldn't find a set whan I needed two years ago. I'm considering returning to them soon whether the current HP+s need replacement or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another Project_u B-force user. I will say that they did not have much bite compard to the brakes on the car when I bought it. Like Jay I've always high end DBA rotors. Still they are the best pad I've had on my car and on my car they lasted as long as the rotors!!! That was 100K mi. I mostly like the zero compression and feel they provided. I couldn't find a set whan I needed two years ago. I'm considering returning to them soon whether the current HP+s need replacement or not.
Would you say they feel more "air-y"? Despite the noise and dust I do enjoy the harsh initial bite of the stock pads. The reason I ask is because sometimes I need that initial bite at the drop of a dime

·
Premium Member
5,336 Posts
No! Not airy - least airy of any pads I've used (which is not that many) My orriginal (not sure they were stock though) had ridiculously uncontrollable bite. In my GD, B-Forces were the exact opposite. No bite, but the most controllable brakes and least pedal movement I've ever had in a car. You just press really hard for full breaking power, but you are never at risk for doing something brake-wise you'll regret.

But my experience is far more limited then some here, surely Jay for one. and many people do not report little bite - even Jay who's running similar rotors.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Have you looked at stainless steel lines? They made a large improvement in my pedal feel. Coupled with a good set of pads and a change to dot 4 brake fluid and you should have a good setup for spirited driving and some short track time.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Would you say they feel more "air-y"? Despite the noise and dust I do enjoy the harsh initial bite of the stock pads. The reason I ask is because sometimes I need that initial bite at the drop of a dime

No! Not airy - least airy of any pads I've used (which is not that many) My orriginal (not sure they were stock though) had ridiculously uncontrollable bite. In my GD, B-Forces were the exact opposite. No bite, but the most controllable brakes and least pedal movement I've ever had in a car. You just press really hard for full breaking power, but you are never at risk for doing something brake-wise you'll regret.

But my experience is far more limited then some here, surely Jay for one. and many people do not report little bite - even Jay who's running similar rotors.
Like Mheyman has stated, i agree with my current combo i do not feel them being "airy" or spongy or laggy or anything like that in terms brake feelings when applying. I think that my set up provides a very controlable and yet intense bite that can be down right nasty when you want it to be. I pretty much gently touch the brake pedal and i feel the car slowing down. Under normal driving conditions a gentle brake pedal application is more than enough. Even under hard agressive "spirited" driving, i still dont think i will even get to a 50% pedal travel to save me or completly stop the car lol. These are just some of my experiences with my set up. At first, i found the inital bite to be out of control when compared to stock but it smoothed out a bit over time or maybe im just got used to it. I think what some people will notice about the project mu b-force is the COLD bite. Meaning how they will react when you first start using them before the brakes really warm up. I think the cold bite is just amazing on these. They will peform just as good from that first initial brake application to after the brakes have heated up after heavy use and hard driving.

Cygnus has a great little comparision chart on their website about brake pad comparisons, check it out. I think the chart will sell you easily. It sold me lol

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Have you looked at stainless steel lines? They made a large improvement in my pedal feel. Coupled with a good set of pads and a change to dot 4 brake fluid and you should have a good setup for spirited driving and some short track time.
This is something that is overlooked often, even by myself. I agree that this should also be done when upgrading brakes on our cars. I will be doing this sometime this year when i end up doing brakes again on my car.

·
Premium Member
5,336 Posts
Oh, yes, SS lines will make as much (or more) difference than the pads. In terms of feel they go together. Did the basics on my 5 years ago. I'm a guy with a 15yr old car, not someone in a shop doin it every day.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I’ve tried Hawk HP, Hawk HP+, and Ferodo DS2500s and found all of them to be way too noisy for my liking. They’re maybe a bit more autocross/light track duty oriented than street oriented. I wouldn’t recommend them due to the noise. I’m now back to running the stock Brembo pads and they’re fine for me.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Hawk HPS pads have served me well. No noise. Less dust than the OEM pads. Equivalent (dare I say even slightly better bite than OEM). Paired with both OEM rotors and girodiscs f&r they're great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts