IW STi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, was hoping for some advice. My 19 sti's brakes began squealing the other day. Over the next few days I began to hear a knocking noise that became more consistent. ( It sounded like it came from the engine bay I'm not sure now) I took a look and my pads are wedge shaped to the point where I have almost no pad left at the inside edge when the outside looks 100% . This is happening to both front wheels! My car only has 30000 km and had a service less than 10000 km ago where my brakes were inspected with no issues brought up. Does anyone know if this would be caliper pistons sticking? The bill is thousands if it's not under warranty 馃槖. I'm worried if the brakes are constantly dragging that I could be putting extra strain on clutch, drivetrain or engine, should I be concerned?

Registered
If you have a documented inspection of your brakes I'd take to that same dealer and talk to them about it. There's no reason why they should wear like that. The worst they can say is "no".

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Of course. I have an appointment set up. I just want to know what I should be expecting replaced ( rotors , pads..... Calipers??) And can dragging the brake cause wear on clutch engine or drivetrain I should be concerned about. I know they will only do what they are forced to do. What should I fight for. This dealership I take my car to has been a nightmare I'm not looking forward to the excuses they give.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Is there anything the shop could have done improperly to create this issue? They have caused me problems before. I find it so strange both front wheels have the same problem... And for it to show up after my first brake service makes me suspicious it was not just a random failure

Registered
It sounds like whatever side pad grabbed more that the other side had an equally opposite reaction. Meaning that they cancelled each other out. Unless you felt a dragging sensation, you shouldn't have a clutch issue. I'd look for another shop if they're consistently pumping out sub-par work. Sounds like calipers may have to be replaced/rebuilt. Pads definitely (They're sold by the pair, so why not do both). I'd closely examine rotors for wear as well, maybe replace them. Don't cheap out/mess with brakes. They keep your car from becoming part of someone else's car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts