IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come up with a good way to clean brake dust off of the wheels? It is a pain getting all of it off, and it has to be done so frequently. I know there are alot products out there for this, but I bet most are not worth a damn. I just know one of you folks have come up with a better way. Thought I would check here first and save myself some trial and error. Tried a search but there was not much info. :wink:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I'd heard that some people clean and wax the rims. The wax makes it easier for the dust to come off. I plan on doing this to my car but have no experience as to how it actually works.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I use a conical wheel brush to get into the rim and knock a lot of the dust off, then I go over it with a towel and my fingers to get into every little spot. It takes about five minutes per wheel, but they look awesome when really cleaned well.
I've noticed getting the wheels absolutely clean takes a lot of time, but also doesn't give the dust anywhere to stick. I am goign to wax them when I take the car off the road for the winter. There are wheel waxes out there, but regular wax is supposed to work fine. I wouldn't use any wheel cleaner after waxing as it will most likely strip the wax right off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply guys. I do scrub the wheels when I wash the car. It's just that some of the brake dust is really stuck to the surface of the wheel. Alot of elbow grease gets it off, but I wasnt sure if anyone had an idea for an easier way to get the tuff stuff off the wheels. I will try waxing the wheels for sure. Just havent had the time yet.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Waxing the wheels definitely helps. Then again, I wonder if it's partly because I've sufficiently broken my car in.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've heard of people using a teflon based spray ... to prevent the really stuck on break dust... but I have no clue where you would get it or how it would effect the rims... ANYONE else heard of this?

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
All true. I use P21S on my wheels. I bought a nice tire/wheel cleaning kit off www.properautocare.com It came with a wheel cleaner and a tire cleaner, a tire dressing, brushes, and sponges. Makes cleaning the wheels easier but still a pain in the arse. This winter when I take the wheels off for the winter set I will be giving them a good cleaning and waxing inside and out.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
That P21S is good stuff, just kinda pricey.

Make a list of all the goodies needed and you should be fine.

- cheap(er) wax (Zaino too pricey for wheels IMO)
- little dish washing sponges (without the scrubber stuff on it)
- cleaner of choice
- long wheel brush (for inside rim)
- something to sit your butt on cuz you'll be rubbing for a while

Use nice warm water, keep the brush/sponge full of water to keep moving the nasty stuff around...and take your time. Concentrate on one wheel aspect (outter rim, outside of spoke, inside of spoke...) and make sure you get all the little areas.

When it's all done, dry em off and throw on some Zymol. It really helps it come off the next time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts