IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I remember reading in a few posts from all you lucky S.O.B.'s :wink: that already have your STi's that during break in there was a lot of break dust. I was wondering if that was happening only during break in, or is a still occuring after break in?

Thanks
Jared

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I have 1,100 miles, seems to be less dust, but it is hard to tell. The venting of the rotors seems to blow the dust out differently than it did on my WRX with P1 wheels.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Most of the time a new set of pads will cause some initial dust from the start. This usually fades once the pads are broken in...

·
Registered
105 Posts
There is a lot of brake dust on my STi, but then all of the cars I have owned that had any kind of serious disk brake system seemed to give off dust. It may lessen with time, but I expect to always have to clean the wheels.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My STi 4-pot brakes never stopped being filthy and dusty, all the time.

Don't hold your breath for the STi Brembos to magically become clean!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Brake dust - happens with every BMW I've ever seen, no matter how new or old.

Wouldn't surprise me if it occurs on STi's or other vehicles as well. Doesn't always indicate a problem per se...

Just have to keep cleaning the wheels I guess.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anyone Replace the RE070 Tires?

I've 1500 miles on my STi. Brake dust seemed to be a little more severe during break in. However, it continues and I find myself compelled to wash the wheels at least oncel every two weeks. It appears similar to my experience with BMW brakes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi All:

I washed the car for the first time after about 200 miles: There was a LOT of brake dust.

I waxed the wheels there and then: This seemed to help. They still look pretty good after another 300 miles or so.

Cheers, Phun

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Yeah, I was gunna say......I wash the whole car once a week...I'd figure the wheels would be pretty dingy after a few days of stop and go traffic.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I have far less dust than my VW GTi did and those wheels sucked to clean. Just get your wheels powder coated black, then you won't have to worry about it. :lol:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
As everyone else have pointed out brake dust will happen with higher performance brakes and pads (comparing for example a 4 cylinder Accord to a 3er Bimmer or STi).

Many racers would put it this way: you want great braking, low dust, and low noise; well pick two of them" :)

I have been using Porterfield R4S pads, and I think I get 2.5 of the above requirements :) They do not have much dust, work great in controlling heat transfer to the fluid, and have tiny bit noise when hot and brakes are applied lightly; something I can live with easily. I would highly recommend them.

·
Registered
114 Posts
ACSC

A set of Brembo two piece slotted 48-vane rotors would be nice. If anybody finds them please let me know where, how much, and the model number.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would definately expect more dust after 1000 miles then before, after all, we're all going 'gently' on our babies for the first 1k, then you start hammering the c*** out of 'em, of course there's more dust. It's just the price we pay for owning vehicles w/brembo's...not that many car owners brag that they got 'em!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts