IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you guys see this? Cobb Tuning AccessPort

Okay so this may be a stupid question...

i've had my car for 3 weeks now and YES there's a lot of brake dust, and i clean it off...but just yesterday i noticed that after not cleaning for about a week the dust has somewhat coated my rims...and now they look gunmetal...hehe...it gives it a cool effectl...but i cleaned them off again cause i didn't want to take a chance.....BUT...will the brake dust damage the rim if i decide to leave it on a little longer??

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
you must have silver wheels. ;) when the dust is *uniform*, they do look cool on silver. (i don't think they look as good on gold, personally. ) i suspect it would be hard to wash your car and detail the tires and while keeping the dust uniformly on the wheel. :) i keep 'em cleaned (with every car washing) just because i don't want to risk long-term staining; not so much from the brake dust, but from tar and other road crap.

·
Registered
80 Posts
For those with setups using only the front speakers...

Yup, lots of brake dust, I chose the silver rims for this reason.

T

·
0 Posts
I left the dust on for a couple months since cleaning them did not make much of a difference, they get dirty again right away. Well now that I got the winter set on I'm now cleaning the BBS rims in the tub at home (not wife approved, trust me :) ) and there is no damage what so ever. It's a big job getting them clean though. What I did is fill the tub half full with phd balanced dish soap and clean most of the dust off with my hand. Then I used special rim cleaner to clean off the hard stuff. After they're dry I used tire protectant on the tires and they're ready to be stored. The wheels look brand new now.

·
Registered
347 Posts
there are a bunch of non-aerosol, spray on wheel cleaners that work great. spray it on, wait a minute or so, and hose it off. pretty much takes care of the pad dust, but i end up using a bottle every other time i wash the car, which is generally every week or so. oh well, it's only about $5.00 a bottle...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use Griot's Garage Wheel cleaner, BBS approved. They also have special foam swabs that let you clean inside of the wheel while it's still on the car very easily.

·
Registered
2 Posts
how do you get the brake dust in the very corners. Especially at the edge of the wheels on the sides of the spokes. The brake dust is like caked on and I can't even break it lose with my finger nails (not that they are long enough to really pick it off) but it bugs me when my wheels are all shiny gold but they have little black specks stuck on them. What is the best way that you guys have noticed to get this stuff off?

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Good old fashion elbow grease. I waxed mine the last time I rotated my tires and it keeps the dust from sticking as bad.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
A good wheel brush helps to get in all the little nooks and crannies. Spray on an acid free wheel cleaner, let it sit for a minute, brush them real good, and rinse. Might have to go over them with a wash mit or sponge but they will come out great. And yes, definitely keep them waxed.

I bought this kit for my wheels, mainly to get the brushes...
http://www.properautocare.com/wheelcarekit.html

I was a better deal than just buying the brushes alone.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I found _the_ solution to brake dust cleaning and rim protection a few months ago. I'd kept it under my hat though for the most part and only posted my findings and results at one board.

Go to http://www.sti-buki.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32 and follow my posts in specific. The whole tale is told there and you should have no questions.

Cleaning my STi rims no longer requires 30 mins. per nor a ton of elbow grease.

- Janq

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I use P21S wheel cleaner: Spray it on when the wheels are dry and cool then rinse it right off with water. If I'm washing my car that day I'll run a brush through the rim with a little soap and then spray it out. I get the nooks clean when I dry the rims off with a rag. It sounds like a lot of work but the total time to clean each wheel is about 2 minutes. Drying is another minute. No elbow grease is required IF you wash/rinse your rims once a week.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts