IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only put about 250 miles on my STi, and already I can see quite an accumulation of brake dust on those expen$ive BBS wheels! Is it just me braking too much, or having to brake for slow(er) vehicles? :lol: Anyway, any recommendations for protecting the wheels? Someone told me to treat them with a silicone spray...

Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
382 Posts
You can try waxing them. Or get some good non-acidic brake cleaner. The dust is normal, performance pads will do that. Also, try engine braking more.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
silicone will attract dust. try wax two or three coats. wash wheels with X-1 motorcycle wash, safe for paint, it works wonders hardly any scrubbing needed. although it is about $10 per bottle, 1 bottle will do the wheels 3-4 times (aprox. 2 weeks.....lol)

ted

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
11.999 possible with this set up?

P21S is incredible. I used it starting at 200 miles and again at 600 (I currently have 800 miles on my car). Spray on, hose off, wipe dry. It's expensive but works like a charm. I ordered mine from autosupermart.com and received it two days later on a Saturday. I swear by it. It may be that I have good sucess with it since I used it pretty much from day one, but the stuff works like nothing else I've ever used.

Plus, It's pH balanced :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
What I did and it worked wonders is the Liquid Glass that I have mentioned before. It is a clear carbon polymer that they claim brake dust does not stick to. Well anyway it does stick to it. The good part is that you can pretty much hose it off without any cleaner at all. I used a good wheel cleaner to make sure all the dust and grime was off and then applied two coat of the liquid glass to each wheel. The stuff has to cure in the sun to create a hard coating. It worked great on the rest of the car too. The shine lasts and the dust just blows off the body. I am very impressed with the liquid glass and I have all my friends using it now since they saw my car and saw how easy it is to use.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have the same problame. I cleaned the wheel with wheel cleaner and then polish the wheels with that metal polish. I still have break dust very little but still visible. Is there anything strong enough to clean all the break dust?I recently purchased a small hard ( brush that can be use on wheels and tires) brush . I want to see if buy using this with simple green mixture . The brake dust will finaly be gone.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I would just wash them regularly. I drive my Sti daily and I don't have that much of a problem. I've had mine since March 26th and only have 700 miles, minimal brake dust buildup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts