IW STi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i didn't know you had to break your brakes in but my friend told me you do. no hard breaking... but he never told me till what mileage... so for the sti when does the brake break-in? the reason i asked is cuz i was on the freeway going at about 65 and the guy in front of me braked really hard. i ended up having to mash the brakes and i even stalled (i was in 6th gear, it all happened so quick i didn't have time to downshift). all this while still under 1000 miles. thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
thats actually not what I heard as far as break in for the brakes, i would do a search, i saw a thread or link to somewhere as far as breaking the brakes in, I remembered seeing something about slowing from around 80 to 40 a few times, Im not sure of the details though, someone will give you a definate answer soon though

·
Registered
916 Posts
From the 2006 Owner's manual (page 11-29):

Breaking in of new brake pads and linings

Brake pad and lining
While maintaining a speed of 30 to 40 mph (50 to 65 km/h), step on the brake pedal lightly. Repeat this five or more times.

Parking brake lining
1. Drive the vehicle at speed of approximately 22 mph (35 km/h)
2. With the parking brake release button pushed in, pull the parking brake lever SLOWLY and GENTLY. (Pulling with a force of approximately 33 lbs [147 N, 15 kg].)
3. Drive the vehicle for approximately 220 yards (200 meters) in this condition.
4. Wait 5 to 10 minutes for the parking brake to cool down. Repeat this procedure.
5. Check the parking brake stroke. If the parking brake stroke is out of the specified range, adjust it by turning the adjusting nut located on the parking brake lever.

On page 8-2, it says for the first 1,000 miles:

-Avoid hard braking, except in an emergency. (my emphasis)

I think your situation qualifies as an emergency. You and your STI are fine :).

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for ur answers guys. looks like i didn't break it in right tho -_- how about the stalling at 65 mph... is this anymore harmful then, say stalling from a complete stop?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Don't worry. Cars (especially the STI) are built to be more durable than to suffer damage from simply stalling the car in an emergency manouver. I'm sure your car didn't stall while it was traveling at 65 mph--you would have lost your power steering and your power brakes if it did. It probably stalled just as you came to a stop, no?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts