IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winshield Decal

Just picked up our Silver STI and having ton of fun putting that 1000 miles on it...

Noticed that the brake bleeders are quite visible and accessible thru the wheels. Are they the only ones per caliper (one per)? As this would make between roadracing rounds bleeding a pleasure!

Hope so...Brembos have another advantage if so...

:)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I popped of the wheels on it and there are two bleed screws per caliper. One on the outside and one on the inside. So my idea of accessible thru the wheels is not happening.

Bummer, but still they are some cool brakes!

·
Registered
114 Posts
You don't want to do it through the wheels anyway. Brake fluid is highly corrosive to paint. Why risk getting fluid on the wheels? (albeit, it shouldn't happen if you are very careful).

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like you said, if you are carefull.

Between rounds at a track event go kind of fast...not having to jack up and remove the wheel would be big plus. My other car has a clam shell hood that pays big dividends as access to the backside of the wheel leaves the bleeders totally accessable...

Besides two bleeders per caliper adds more work...minor though.

:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yea the brake bleeders outside. Hmmm, if someone was extremely jealous or just cruel, could they litterally loosen the brake bleeder. Thus causing loss of fluid and making you get stuck where you are or might even make you have a bad accident. Just a thought because every car I've owned, the brake bleeders are always well hidden and not accessible.

:roll:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Okay...

I just changed the brake lines on my STi
How do I appropirately flush / bleed this brake?

There are 2 bleeder screws..
Do I have to bleed from each bleeder screws?
Or the outer is the same as the inner one?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Flush the brake fluid by clearing out the longest line first, then move on to the next longest. Since each front caliper has 4 pistons (2 inside 2 outside) and the rears are 2 pot (1 in 1 out) you'll want to start with the outside for each caliper since it is further away from the master cylinder than the inside piston.

Start with the rear passenger caliper, then rear drivers side, then front passenger, and last front drivers side.

When you've done the out side bleeder, remember that it only takes 2-3 pumps of the brake to flush the remainder of the old fluid from the inside pistons. Then you can move on to the next caliper.

The reason there are 2 bleeder screws is that boiled brake fluid turns into gas and gas floats to the top (like Coke). Since you have pistons on the outside as well as the inside, there needs to be atleast 2 bleeder screws to clean out all the pistons. We're lucky, the Wilwood brake calipers have 4 bleeder screws for each front caliper. Now THAT's alot of work.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Next Meeting Dallas Area....

Thanks for the reply..

Now I know what to do :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts