IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car has 20K and never seen snow. I changed the oil, and in the process of bleeding the brakes, the passenger outside bleed screw was loosened, bled, and upon tightening, it continued to ooze brake fluid. It would not stop. Further inspection, and removal of the bleed screw revealed stripped threads and corrosion of the bleed screw. Attached is a picture comparing the outside and inside bleed screws from the same front outer caliper.

I have never had an issue with the car itself. My fear now lies within the caliper itself and if the internals have been screwed over as well.

This bleed screw was toast from the factory.

My fear is the dealer will deny coverage, since several phone calls have yet to get a reply. Apparently the honor system doesn't work anymore.

Anyone have a spare non stripped caliper lying around???

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Sorry to hear that. From the sounds of it I would say its the threads on the caliper too, not just the bleeder tip....

·
Registered
351 Posts
I just did the same thing to my left rear caliper. I found a set of rear calipers on ebay. So if you need a right rear, I could sell it to you. Subaru wanted $650 for a rear caliper, look ebay or upgrade before doing that.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would push the dealer and get it covered under warranty. Like many have said, call SOA if the dealer isn't calling back. They can't expect people not to do their own work. It is within your right to bleed your own brakes and a defective bleeder screw on a new car is something they should hear about and deal with.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
i had the same problem, they didnt waarntee me, so i had to purchase a new front caliper for that

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can't you just fix the threads inside the caliper? It may warrant the purchase of a slightly larger bleeder screw or something, but it would save hundreds overall. I would definitely talk to your dealership first, though, or at least a dealership, since it was like that from the factory.

·
Authorized Vendor
2,885 Posts
nhluhr said:
If the dealer decides to deny you, don't forget that it might be easy to just tap out the bleeder to the next size up....
i was going to suggest the same thing, just go get yourself a tap and die kit and you should be golden.

·
Registered
31 Posts
if you get denied on the warranty, fix the threads with a helicoil kit - pretty easy and they'll be as strong or stronger than the originals (and they'll be the same size as the originals).

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Is it worth the time for you to contact Brembo about this and see what they say?

I had an issue with a bad banjo bolt included with my Cobb stainless brake lines this past weekend. Cobb is closed all this week so I called Stoptech and they sent me out a new bolt for free, even though I didn't buy directly from them. I ended up finding the right size die to fix the threads on the bad bolt myself.

Hard to find size 10mmx1.0 if it ever happens to anyone else!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think you guys seriously need to work this out with SOA. This is obviously a very common problem, and given the price to replace it and the likely chance that it will happen all over again, something should be done. The huge brake systems on STi's are a big selling point for these cars, and Brembo is, of course, a very well-known company. This should not be happening from the factory.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I had the same problem. SOA said that since i touched the car i voided my warrenty on the brakes since there was no way to tell if it came that way or it was something I did. I was going to order a new caliper from the dealer til i found out they wanted $725 for one caliper. I ended up going over to VT Sports Car and buying a whole brake setup including rotors that came off a car that was built into a rally car for 1200. Now i have extras for later.

I thought of the helicoil kit, but wasted really sure since i am planning on doing some track days in the near future.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
What an 'effin mess!! When I bled my brakes yesterday all the bleeder valves were coming off with ease and everything was perfect until I got to my Driver's side Front inside valve. It was almost impossible to get off, and when it finally loosened it almost instantly became impossible to turn any further. In both directions it only turns a tiny bit. After bleeding it I tightened it with the strength of Zeuss but there was a burn spot on my wheel this morning meaning it is still leaking.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to expect when I try to fix this? Will completely draining the caliper by removing the bleeder valve mean I have to bleed all the corners again? A helicoil kit will dump all sorts of shavings into the caliper and will be a real pain in the butt if I have to go that route. This stinks!!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Geesh...all the lovely things I have to look forward to with my sti. Maybe spraying them with some pb buster or what not and letter it soak before messing with them would help?

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Geesh...all the lovely things I have to look forward to with my sti. Maybe spraying them with some pb buster or what not and letter it soak before messing with them would help?
No need for PB Blaster; at least on my car. All the bleeder valves unscrewed easily except the one that is messed up. Also, the brake fluid is leaking out of the top of the valve where it is supposed to come out, which means it isn't leaking out through the threads. I used a breaker bar and an 11mm ratchet piece to tighten it a bit more today and it has stopped leaking.
I will be calling different Subaru dealerships on Monday to find a tech that is familiar with the problem and will replace it. If they want me to bring it in I'm not going to b/c if they loosen the valve I'm not sure it will seal again. Then they'll tell me "your valve is broken and you need to buy a new caliper since you are past 36,000 miles."

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I will be calling different Subaru dealerships on Monday to find a tech that is familiar with the problem and will replace it. If they want me to bring it in I'm not going to b/c if they loosen the valve I'm not sure it will seal again. Then they'll tell me "your valve is broken and you need to buy a new caliper since you are past 36,000 miles."
Here is some advice. A technician will not talk to you over the phone. You will get the service writer and that is it. Time is money for them and they won't come off a job that is paying them money and delay other work to give you free advice when they can't see the vehicle. Don't even waste your time.

I have had customer's come in that just want a tech to ride with them to listen for a noise, but when I tell them how much, they change their mind. Sorry, but nobody works for free, so why should a technician. People really don't know how much they piss off the tech when they do this. I have techs give wrong or vague advice on purpose for that reason.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Here is some advice. A technician will not talk to you over the phone. You will get the service writer and that is it. Time is money for them and they won't come off a job that is paying them money and delay other work to give you free advice when they can't see the vehicle. Don't even waste your time.

I have had customer's come in that just want a tech to ride with them to listen for a noise, but when I tell them how much, they change their mind. Sorry, but nobody works for free, so why should a technician. People really don't know how much they piss off the tech when they do this. I have techs give wrong or vague advice on purpose for that reason.
Boo hoo. You are soured by bad experiences. I bother a tech about once every two years so I'm fine with it. I actually have a common/known problem and it's understood that some dealerships will perform warranty work and some don't.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Boo hoo. You are soured by bad experiences. I bother a tech about once every two years so I'm fine with it. I actually have a common/known problem and it's understood that some dealerships will perform warranty work and some don't.
Once or twice a year, that is a little different. I can tell you that if you go around calling every dealerships wanting to speak to a Tech, you will not get good results. Yeah, you might get 1 or 2, but the majority of the replies will be dealt by a Service Writer or bring it it. The techs are busy working on customers cars.

I don't have bad experiences, I speak from working in the industry for the past 6 years. In general, most techs won't speak to customer to help them resolve an issue unless they are there with the car and paying him to fix it or the manufacturer is paying him to fix it. I know how the dealership/warranty thing works quite well.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Once or twice a year, that is a little different. I can tell you that if you go around calling every dealerships wanting to speak to a Tech, you will not get good results. Yeah, you might get 1 or 2, but the majority of the replies will be dealt by a Service Writer or bring it it. The techs are busy working on customers cars.

I don't have bad experiences, I speak from working in the industry for the past 6 years. In general, most techs won't speak to customer to help them resolve an issue unless they are there with the car and paying him to fix it or the manufacturer is paying him to fix it. I know how the dealership/warranty thing works quite well.
My main point is I don't want them to have me take my car in, unscrew the bleeder valve, discover it won't properly seal, and make me pay $750.00 for a new caliper. I am already aware of the issue and want to make sure the dealership is one I can trust to help me. 99% of the time it takes thorough explaining by me to finally show the tech the problem because they just don't have any clue about issues with the STi (Clunking struts just for an example; replaced twice FYI). This may have changed over the years, but when I had my '04, taking it to Subaru to have the tons of problems with it fixed was a drawn out process that wasted TONS of my time.

My last major debacle was when I went to get the fluids necessary for my 30k mile servicing. The techs had no idea that two different crush rings were needed during a tranny fluid change (They said I only needed to undo one bolt; not two), and both of them said I don't even need to change the fluid at 30k miles regardless of what the maintenance book states. I went home that day with automatic transmission fluid and the wrong brake fluid! I am telling you this so you can understand the daily frustrations STI owners experience at the dealership.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
My main point is I don't want them to have me take my car in, unscrew the bleeder valve, discover it won't properly seal, and make me pay $750.00 for a new caliper. I am already aware of the issue and want to make sure the dealership is one I can trust to help me. 99% of the time it takes thorough explaining by me to finally show the tech the problem because they just don't have any clue about issues with the STi (Clunking struts just for an example; replaced twice FYI). This may have changed over the years, but when I had my '04, taking it to Subaru to have the tons of problems with it fixed was a drawn out process that wasted TONS of my time.
Well I am sorry, but they shouldn't diagnose anything over the phone, unless it's something simple like "my parking lights are on". Even when my buddy's call about their Subaru's we don't diagnose over the phone. They come in for one of my guys to look at it. Your options are to take it in and see if it is defective and have it warrantied, or deal with it yourself. Unless you screwed with the bleeder, it shouldn't be an issue having it warrantied unless they are clueless. Sometimes it will take a thorough explanation of things to make a repair and or riding with the tech or duplicating the problem with him.

When any repair is to be made or a concern is to be addressed, the dealer will need the vehicle even if it means inconveniencing you. That is how it works. Do you tell the doctor over the phone about what your medical problems are and ask him to write you a prescription? Same applies. Saving time and also work against you too. I have seen people phone diagnose and spent tons of money throwing parts at their car.

My last major debacle was when I went to get the fluids necessary for my 30k mile servicing. The techs had no idea that two different crush rings were needed during a tranny fluid change (They said I only needed to undo one bolt; not two), and both of them said I don't even need to change the fluid at 30k miles regardless of what the maintenance book states. I went home that day with automatic transmission fluid and the wrong brake fluid! I am telling you this so you can understand the daily frustrations STI owners experience at the dealership.
It appears that place has idiots working for them, not techs(makes me wonder if they were lube techs) because they sure aren't competent. I would look around locally both on the forums and talk with the local subie guys and see who they recommend.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.