IW STi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Braille battery used from a member on here a few months ago. It was only used for a few months and when I got it it was in perfect condition. I had no problems with it up until about a week ago. My car struggled to start one day and the following day the battery was dead. I jumped it and let the car run for awhile and it's been ok since...but it still sounds like the car is just barely starting. It's turning over very slowly and sort of sputtering to a start. I do a fair amount of very short distance driving, could this have something to do with it?

·
pwn n00bs
18,694 Posts
well i'm not sure, i bought my braille used from a buddy and it was sitting unused for months and was not dead...it went through some rough dead to recharge cycles when my car was torn apart for turbo and it still runs like a champ.

i also added a grouding kit that i believe helped it a lot...the nrg grouding kit and i put the grounds all over and took off the paint to nonstock points so it was actually a ground.

·
Registered
142 Posts
BoostJunkie said:
I bought a Braille battery used from a member on here a few months ago. It was only used for a few months and when I got it it was in perfect condition. I had no problems with it up until about a week ago. My car struggled to start one day and the following day the battery was dead. I jumped it and let the car run for awhile and it's been ok since...but it still sounds like the car is just barely starting. It's turning over very slowly and sort of sputtering to a start. I do a fair amount of very short distance driving, could this have something to do with it?
Short distance should not be a problem or the cause for a battery to go dead unless the power demand is greater than the charging system, for example top notch audio system operating for awhile with engine off, by the time you try to start the engine the battery may be too weak to crank over the engine and if the engine start, it will need to run for at least 10 to 20 minutes to fully recharge the battery but if that 10 to 20 minutes of engine running happen with the A/C, stereo and or head lamps being use, it will take longer time for the battery to recover. With that said you should look for the obvious and simple thing first like checking your charging system I believe auto zone does this check for free. You can also check fuse for the alternator, alternator connections and even a loose belt. If the charging system tested good then your battery may not hold charge any more and most be replaced. I understand this small batteries are a great way to reduce weight I suspect this batteries may not have the same or better amperage than the original battery, I might be wrong I do not know the spec on this batteries but if that is the case and you insist in saving weight, two of this batteries running in parallel should be lighter than original and will have more amperage in storage. That something to consider, sorry for the long writing I hope you problem get resolved quickly and simple.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
464 Posts
My braille battery was doing the same thing. I didn't want to deal with a dead battery every 3 or so days, so I sent it back. Put the factory battery back in, and have had no problems since.

That thing was a big waste of money, and a headache to say the least.

BTW, had the all weather model

·
Registered
142 Posts
LRM1981 said:
My braille battery was doing the same thing. I didn't want to deal with a dead battery every 3 or so days, so I sent it back. Put the factory battery back in, and have had no problems since.

That thing was a big waste of money, and a headache to say the least.

BTW, had the all weather model

I really like the compact design and lightweight of that battery, for track use it may be just fine because people do not turn on A/C or stereo systems at full blasts during a race, but in the real world turning on all this electrical equipment in a car that maybe trap in heavy traffic with the engine just idling for long time and all this electrical stuff being use, it going to push hard on the charging system that is for sure, and unless the battery is a heavy duty one type with a deep recharging cycle you are going to have some issues. There are other ways to deal with this common problem but they cost money, as I mention at the beginning of this tread, two of this batteries connected in parallel should be lighter than the original battery and have a lot more amps and cranking power, or you could replace the alternator for one with a higher output, or get a smaller puller on the original alternator to increase rotational speed and induce maximum output at a lower RPM. Or simply get a heavy-duty battery with almost the same weight if not heavy disadvantage as the original battery. What come in mind is the Optima yellow top this battery can take serious abuse, the Optima red top is very good too, in fact it has more cranking power than the yellow top but can not take the same abuse as the yellow top. So as you can see all this cost money may be unnecessary since the original battery is more than good for the job, me when my original battery quit on me or show any symptom of going bad my choice will probably be one of the Optima batteries.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
464 Posts
The battery seemed to be a nice design and is about half the weight of most batteries. I really liked the look of it in the engine bay. But the problems I had with it outweighed that.

Another big problem I noticed, when I was driving and put my turn signal on, or press the break pedal, my deadlights and dashlights would dim/flicker for a second, This was really anoying. Again, this problem went away when i put the stock battery back in.

Maybe I just got a defective battery, I don't know? How many others have and similar problems?

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just found it strange because all summer, I would sit in traffic with the a/c blasting and my stereo on and I never had any problems. Sometimes I would even sit and listen to music with the car off and I STILL never had any problems. Now all of a sudden, my battery appears to be dying for no reason. It's cool enough that I barely use a/c and I haven't used anything electrical with the car off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.