IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My idle some times drop to about 300RPM and the whole car would shake a bit and then it goes back to 1000RPM. Sometimes it stays at 1500RPM when slowing down to a stop, drop to 3-400RPM, does the shake.. and then come back...
What the hell is going on here? What's everyone else's car idling at?
Also, my first tank of gas lasted 250 miles, and second tank only managed 160 miles...what's up with that? both 93 octane Mobile gas..
BTW, My car has 500 miles now, so I am only doing the break-in type of driving.

:-?

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Yeah this has been discussed before. I think it's a characteristic of the boxer engine.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Re: High Performance All-season Tires

When started for the first time of the day mine idles at like 1200 or so and slowly pulls down as it warms up as you would expect. Once fully warmed up it idles at almost exactly 500 rpm. When the A/C fan kicks on there is a small momentary rpm drop just like every other car I know of.

I think the manual says idle should be 700 rpm +/- 100 rpm so I'm wondering why mine is lower.

·
Registered
151 Posts
This is pure conjecture, but my guess is that the line that seems to be 500rpm is possibly 700 or 750rpm. The reason I say that is because my car idles right there too, and there is one other tiny line right above zero which could be 500rpm. Tachs don't normally show the really low numbers since your car would stall at that low of an rpm anyway.

So to answer your initial question, my car bounces around a little but generally idles at the same "rpm line" between 0 and 1000

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
The NEGATIVE camber is normal

Yep bounce comes and goes, just like a horse shivering, wanting to get up and run. :wink:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was a bit concerned at first, cause mine does the same thing. then after doing some researching, i found that it is a normal thing in subaru cars to idle like that. Which still puzzles me, but oh well.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
My grounding kit fixed this, now it just sits at ~500rpm most of the time, even under A/c and good bit of electric strain.

Robert~

·
Registered
759 Posts
staticx313 said:
My grounding kit fixed this, now it just sits at ~500rpm most of the time, even under A/c and good bit of electric strain.

Robert~
Dang! You beat me to it.
My car's RPMs used to bounce up and down until the ground kit. Very smooth now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts