IW STi Forum banner

2861 - 2880 of 2880 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,861
Re: Boris' MY05 STi.

Please write more about this RX7, I love this car.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

All of the rumors of wankel powered RX7's being temperamental are true.

My car has sometimes just not wanted to start one day.... then the following day, it will start up on first crank.

That is the nature of the beast. I had bought it way earlier this year and it's been quite the ride replacing all sorts of stuff, improving what not only the previous owner had done to the car but also what I could make better from the factory.

I am also thrilled that I get to purchase so much from the OG Japanese Companies like HKS, Greddy, Apexi, etc. The car has a laundry list of parts from the big names, as cars like the RX7, Supra, GTR's were their bread and butter.

I need to get a cleanup tune done on the car and raise the boost up and it should be good.

I am compiling a whole bunch of pictures for my member journal on RX7 Club, but i'll pass the link along and some pics onto here.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Same user name on rx7 club? I've been a member on there for a long time, but haven't been on there much since I sold my rx7. I still want an FD project car.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I wasn't as lucky as u guys, I used to drive a RX-8 as i couldnt get my hands on a rx-7 but that really gave me a real appreciation of the rotary world and I still miss it to this day. It has serve me well and completely trouble free until the day I sold it. Waiting for mazda to release another rotary in the future, hopefully I can afford it when they do.

·
Premium Member
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,866
I had an 87 turbo II for 5 years. I miss the rotarums. Sometimes. :lol: My username on there is tIIsleeper
They are fun. RX7 Club is probably the better one of them all... from what I've seen.

I wasn't as lucky as u guys, I used to drive a RX-8 as i couldnt get my hands on a rx-7 but that really gave me a real appreciation of the rotary world and I still miss it to this day. It has serve me well and completely trouble free until the day I sold it. Waiting for mazda to release another rotary in the future, hopefully I can afford it when they do.

Honestly that's really nice to hear because a lot of people who buy these damn cars dont know what they are really in for. When you do, it changes the whole perspective to it.

When I bought my FD, I had low expectations on reliability. Sure enough, sometimes it works great, sometimes you can tell the car is like, " Boris, shut me off , please."

Now when it works great, i'm pleased, and when it doesn't, its business as usual.

The biggest problems that I'm dealing with now is the pre-historic wiring harness that's been cooked for 23 years.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
They are fun. RX7 Club is probably the better one of them all... from what I've seen.

Honestly that's really nice to hear because a lot of people who buy these damn cars dont know what they are really in for. When you do, it changes the whole perspective to it.

When I bought my FD, I had low expectations on reliability. Sure enough, sometimes it works great, sometimes you can tell the car is like, " Boris, shut me off , please."

Now when it works great, i'm pleased, and when it doesn't, its business as usual.

The biggest problems that I'm dealing with now is the pre-historic wiring harness that's been cooked for 23 years.
Ah yes, the rat's nest. Wiring and all of the silly vacuum solenoids. Remove it. Remove it all!

·
Premium Member
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,869
Ah yes, the rat's nest. Wiring and all of the silly vacuum solenoids. Remove it. Remove it all!
Well I'm single turbo now, so I dont have like 90% of what the stock sequential system used :lol:

It is insane! Something like 74 lines for the sequential system. 50feet of hose!

I think over the winter I'm going to pick up a new front harness. The 13bREW really has a lot of heat and it truly cooks these harnesses.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Picture from Last Night as it was VERY nice out.
Dat fart can doe..............................:lol:

Needs more LS.......Boris.;)

Thanks to FB bullshit algorithm I can't follow the local guy doing billet rotary parts. I'll find him again just for you.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Well I'm single turbo now, so I dont have like 90% of what the stock sequential system used :lol:

It is insane! Something like 74 lines for the sequential system. 50feet of hose!

I think over the winter I'm going to pick up a new front harness. The 13bREW really has a lot of heat and it truly cooks these harnesses.
It's just stoopid. If you're redoing the wiring, I vote for a standalone ECU. So much simpler and cleaner. $$ though. I helped a friend install a microtech in his t2 and it cleans up the engine bay so nicely. Do you have a build thread on rx7club? Back when I was considering selling the sti and getting an FD rolling chassis, I was tempted to go LS. I love the rotary stuff too much though.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Built rotary is fucking wicked. Especially the sound!

Check out Rob Dahm's build just shown at SEMA.

·
Premium Member
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,874
It's just stoopid. If you're redoing the wiring, I vote for a standalone ECU. So much simpler and cleaner. $$ though. I helped a friend install a microtech in his t2 and it cleans up the engine bay so nicely. Do you have a build thread on rx7club? Back when I was considering selling the sti and getting an FD rolling chassis, I was tempted to go LS. I love the rotary stuff too much though.
I am running the Apexi PowerFC, but i am not sure whats in my future yet.

This winter will give me a good amount of time to really sort some stuff out.

When I first bought the car and with its issues I wanted to fix it and get out and drive it.

Winter time will give me a good chance to really go over everything in fine detail and perform a lot of changes.

The RB kit is on the table for exterior, just need to purchase a house first so the wife doesn't kill me.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I am running the Apexi PowerFC, but i am not sure whats in my future yet.

This winter will give me a good amount of time to really sort some stuff out.

When I first bought the car and with its issues I wanted to fix it and get out and drive it.

Winter time will give me a good chance to really go over everything in fine detail and perform a lot of changes.

The RB kit is on the table for exterior, just need to purchase a house first so the wife doesn't kill me.
Maybe have a look at aaroncake's build. He's using standalone on both his rx7 and his ongoing project cosmo too.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Boris, this is the metro Detroit guy that does custom rotary parts.

chipsmotorsports

2861 - 2880 of 2880 Posts