IW STi Forum banner

3381 - 3400 of 3418 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,381
Re: BoostJunkie's OFFICIAL Journal- New Sponsor: Cosworth! ~ 6/14/17-Post #3378

Got the Cosworth manifold installed. It certainly looks nice, now let's see how much power it makes up top!

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,382
Re: BoostJunkie's OFFICIAL Journal- Cosworth manifold installed! ~ 6/29/17-Post #3381

A little bit more aero work on the car this past weekend. I worked with DHP Composites on a custom set of barge boards, which I was able to test fit but still need to work out final mounting. This should help quite a bit with overall downforce by separating the vortices moving down the side of the car, as well as the turbulent wake off the front tires, from the high velocity airflow underneath the car and into the rear diffuser.

I also fabricated some carbon bumper spats, which will help create front downforce by stalling the airflow over the top of the splitter and creating high pressure zones. They should also reduce drag by redirecting air around the front tires.

Next order of business is to replace the front bumper latches with Quik Latch fasteners. Besides being an eyesore, they are actually large enough that they're probably disturbing airflow and interrupting the vortices coming off the dive planes. More on this later.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,384
Re: BoostJunkie's OFFICIAL Journal- Aero updates! ~ 8/8/17-Post #3382

Yes, the stock manifold had to go! The timing for this opportunity with cosworth was perfect. Their rep actually noticed at boxerfest that I was still running stock and reached out.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,385

With the flat bottom retaining heat, cockpit temp can reach 130+ degrees. This new cool suit system from Ultra Chiller should keep me comfortable, rather than sweating out half my body weight during a 40 minute race. And it's only around 10 lbs fully loaded!

·
Registered
707 Posts

With the flat bottom retaining heat, cockpit temp can reach 130+ degrees. This new cool suit system from Ultra Chiller should keep me comfortable, rather than sweating out half my body weight during a 40 minute race. And it's only around 10 lbs fully loaded!

Image Link
Chris is a great person.

Good choice in ultra chiller.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,387

Chris is a great person.

Good choice in ultra chiller.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yup, very easy to deal with and a very cool product. I really like how much smaller and less obtrusive it is than the "ice chest" systems.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,388
Re: BoostJunkie's OFFICIAL Journal- Cool suit! ~ 8/10/17-Post #3385

Small parts update (although nothing to report on the car at the moment). Ordered and received a pair of OS Giken Super Lock diffs, which I'm very excited to try out. The current diff setup worked great previously but with the amount of power and grip the car now makes, I decided to work with them to come up with a custom tuned solution that would work better all around. This offseason, I'll have a Quaife front and Carbonetic rear diff for sale for a very attractive price ;)

I also received a billet aluminum rear diff cover from MooreSport, as well as a steering rack adapter (brand new part). The diff cover alone will reduce temps, as it increases fluid capacity and has a finned surface for better heat dissipation. But the real draw for me was the extra ports for adding an external cooler, as well as a universal temp sensor. Now I can run a cooler with the fluid pump triggered off the temp sensor (thanks MoTeC).

The rack adapter allows the lines to be converted to 100% AN hoses and fittings. Right now, we are running a hybrid with the hard lines cut and flared to accept an AN fitting but this will eliminate that altogether.

I'm still hoping to get the new gearbox in and make it out to summit in November. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Re: BoostJunkie's OFFICIAL Journal- MooreSport/OS Giken! ~ 9/28/17-Post #3388

IIRC Prodrive and a few other WRC supplier made a rear diff cover with a built in cooler/fan/thermostat. When I say built in, I mean they cover was designed for the mounting of all the auxiliary components. They were very nice and also VERY expensive. You can come across them used sometimes. Not quite as baller as the liquid cooled 6-pots though ;)

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,390

IIRC Prodrive and a few other WRC supplier made a rear diff cover with a built in cooler/fan/thermostat. When I say built in, I mean they cover was designed for the mounting of all the auxiliary components. They were very nice and also VERY expensive. You can come across them used sometimes. Not quite as baller as the liquid cooled 6-pots though ;)
Those things are super sweet but it's an entire diff assembly (made by Xtrac I believe) so definitely not just an R180 cover. It's about $12k for the diff and another $5k per titanium axle that goes with it, plus god knows what other components you need to make it work. So I'll stick with this for now :lol:

·
Registered
5,464 Posts

^ yes but you can get them used for a bit less than half and they only need a $2000 rebuild. That's a bargain! ;)

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,392

^ yes but you can get them used for a bit less than half and they only need a $2000 rebuild. That's a bargain! ;)
Shit, put me down for two then!

·
Super Moderator
10,702 Posts

Got lost in your Journal again drooling over your car...:p

Noticed something though:
Image Link

Vape Button :lol::lol::lol:

Baahahaha, much win there.:clap:

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,396

Featured in the 2018 Manley Performance catalog. IAG has worked closely with them to develop their renowned engine program and this is a nice way to recognize that partnership!

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,397

Prep for the 2018 season has officially begun. I took a day off work on Monday to spend some time in the shop working on the car. The primary objective is to get the Samsonas gearbox in the car and working with the paddle shift system. I'm also working on some other upgrades and improvements to continue to evolve the car and improve both performance and reliability. Exciting stuff to come over the next few months!

Firing her up for the first time in quite awhile.

Got the Life Racing air compressor/accumulator in the car. This also includes an integrated tank pressure sensor, overfill popoff valve, and mounting bracket...the whole package weighs less than 6 lbs!

And I removed my JRZ RS Pros from the car. I wanted more control over fine tuning chassis behavior so I have something new coming from JRZ coming in a few weeks. These are off to Canada to begin their second life on another quick time attack Subaru!

More to come after the holidays. We're just getting started!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Re: BoostJunkie's OFFICIAL Journal- 2018 Prep Begins! ~ 12/14/17-Post #3397

Everytime I check your Journal I find something new I need :D

The air unit for the Paddle shift is epicly small! Awesome!
I really hope we'll get some great Videos in 2018 from you :D

And I think the time is nearing I finally need to step up my Suspension game :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,400
Re: BoostJunkie's OFFICIAL Journal- 2018 Prep Begins! ~ 12/14/17-Post #3397

Well I haven't updated on here in awhile. Been a whole lot going on (if you follow me on Instagram @dpk_racing I've been updating). Here's a quick recap.

-Samsonas sequential gearbox, along with the new OS Giken diff, is assembled and installed.
-Geartronics paddle shift system is installed, with the actuator mounted directly to the gearbox case
-Header, uppipe, downpipe, turbine housing, and wastegate have been covered with custom inconel heat shields from Advanced Thermal Products
-JRZ RS Pro 3 dampers have been received and installed, along with Swift springs
-The chassis wiring harness was removed and totally overhauled, removing some old wiring mess. All of the paddle shift functions were added, some old stuff repurposed or removed, everything properly termed and booted, etc. It's a huge improvement. We also added sensors for exhaust backpressure, crankcase pressure, gearbox temp, rear diff temp, and provisions for shock pots, steering angle, and wheel speed.
-The engine bay has received some love as well. Added a Boomba 75mm throttle body, swapped silicone i/c coupler for a Vibrant HD clamp, all vac lines swapped for AN hoses with crimp fittings, and a brand new GTX3582R Gen 2 to replace the damaged turbo.
-I am very excited to announce a new partnership with RHR Performance (https://rhrperf.com/). I have been working with them for a couple months on the design and manufacture of a new aero package, starting with a WTAC-caliber front splitter, designed by Kyle Forster, who some of you may know from the "Kyle Engineers" YouTube series. Kyle has moved on to work for Mercedes F1, but his replacement is equally talented and we are still moving forward with more development. We will be starting with the splitter and a temporary wing, to be replaced later in the season with a new multi element wing and redesigned rear diffuser. Along with extensive CFD work, this is going to be a massive difference maker in terms of lap time.

I think that about covers it for now. The car goes on the dyno this Thursday/Friday to do the final setup for the paddle shift system and retune. If all goes well we will be on track next month!

3381 - 3400 of 3418 Posts