IW STi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey family! I just joined not too long ago. I had a 1997 prelude, got into an accident (some a hole in a rush plowed into my front end) which totalled my car. I decided to go with an 06 sti. I haven't done too much to it, just cobb AP, and hks bov. I plan on doing cobb DP/Invidia g200 combo. Afterwards I wanted to see about getting a bolt on turbo. I was thinking the Garrett SR55. My question is, is it that simple? I mean could I go with a bolt on turbo and not have to change anything else for it to be compatible (have no engine issues or transmission failures)? Would it be okay on the car if I just put the bolt on turbo and didn't do any other mods to make it agreeable on the car? These turbos aren't cheap and I didn't want to mess too much with my engine just yet (probably will do the pulleys). Of course I would get a protune done, just really didn't want to touch the engine just yet. Any help would be taken as the holy word :) :wave:

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
First of all you should do a lot of research before you start looking into upgrading your turbo. BTW the SR55 is an APS turbo, not garrett.

I would also advise that you remove the HKS BOV on a mostly stock car. Do a search on BOVs and you will find alot of inormation on running one on on a lightly modded STi including up to a stage 2 STi. The only reason to install an aftermarket BOV is because the stock unit is failing to hold enough boost. The stock bypass valve is effective up to about 21 psi. An aftermarket BOV isn't need until you upgrade to a larger turbo. It is not a good mod for a lightly modded STi because it make the vehicle running excessively rich which makes your car slower and also sacrifices gas mileage.

As far as up grading the turbo, you will need a lot of supporting mods for a turbo of that size. These supporting mods include:

Frontmount intercooler (Perrin, APS TurboXS)
Larger injectors (PE850s, JEC720s)
Aftermarket intake that will work with your frontmount intercooler (APS, Perrin BigMAF)
Possibly an aftermarket turbo inlet hose (Perrin, APS, Samco)
An aftermarket electronic boost controller (Apexi AVCR, TurboXS Dtec) is also highly advisable
Turbo back Exhaust
Walbro Fuel pump
A Protune by a good tuner
Eventually a new clutch to hold that power

The stock motor is very capable of handling 500 crank HP and more with really good tuning. 500 crank HP will result in slightly over 400 WHP. How long the motor will last pushing that much power is anyones guess. How much HP you make will also depend on your grade of gas. If you have 91 then don't expect much better results than that of a protuned stage 2 STI. If you have 93 then you could probably end up around 360-380 WHP. On race gas you will start making around or over the 400 WHP mark. Of course this is all subjective because it depends on the dyno you are tuned on and how it reads. Just make sure you get a dyno tune and a road tune, or if you have to to make a choice between the two then a road tune will be the better option. Another good mod to consider is meth injection. This will net you some serious HP with aggressive tuning. Good luck with your setup and start researching.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts