IW STi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to a 24hr autox this weekend and noticed that my steering would be fine at the beginning of the runs but by the time I got to the second slalom it got really hard to steer the car as in the wheel wouldn't move. My intuition is that the power steering fluid was boiling.
So I guess what I'm asking is what can I do to fix this? It was extremely frustrating to have my line perfect only to not be able to turn through the next gate.

· Registered
998 Posts
I have had that happen to me, the power steering just cant keep up. I am not sure if adding a power steering cooloer would help or not, just lettin ya know you aren't the only one experiencing that.

3,296 Posts
How many runs did you get in before this started happening?

I know 2 guys in my region who co-drive the same car. Due to some course workers not getting out of the way in time they both got a few re-runs. By the 12th run in the car the power steering had cut out since the fluid was boiling. Both of these guys are good drivers who give 10/10th and they expected it.

This was in an 05 STi.

I don't know if they make steering fluid that has a higher boiling point or maybe a bigger cooler could help out with this?

I've never had this but then again I'm a n00b auto-xer.

· Registered
931 Posts
Did you have anyPS fluid spillage? If so, then it was boiling. If not, your pump couldn't keep up. Every once in a while my pump won't keep up in a long chicane, but I used to boil fluid all the time in the 350z-never in the STi. FYI Redline fluid solved the boiling issue for me.

· I Solve Problems
18,782 Posts
stretch said:
I thought the STI got a power steering cooler in 2005. Did the USDM models not get it?
nope, we don't have it.

you wouldn't be able to miss it if we did have it.

I too have this issue, although not as pronounced as some of my friends who are much faster.

· Registered
1,888 Posts
Do you run synthetic power steering fluid (ATF)?

· Registered
405 Posts
tonemeister said:
redline power steering fluid helps a lot!

how many miles on your sti and have you ever changed it before??

double ditto on the above. Maybe my steering fluid needed changing anyway as it had 60k miles on it, but the redline fluid improved the steering response completely. Zero steering stiffness in the last two autocrosses!

· Registered
3,380 Posts
thrlskr said:
Did you have anyPS fluid spillage? If so, then it was boiling. If not, your pump couldn't keep up. Every once in a while my pump won't keep up in a long chicane, but I used to boil fluid all the time in the 350z-never in the STi. FYI Redline fluid solved the boiling issue for me.
Where did you purchase the Redline power steering fluid from?

EDIT: I found it here- http://www.247-parts.com/view_product.html?cat_l1=2&cat_l2=18&sku=RLCPSF

· Registered
394 Posts
TO THE TOP WITH THIS THREAD!

I flushed my ps fluid ~ 6 months ago. I went to Texas World Speedway last weekend, and didn't notice anything on track, but in the paddock @ low speed my steering felt kind of sluggish. While doing my tween session fluid checks (car still running) I noticed that a descent sized bubble would float to the top of my power steering reservoir every 10 seconds or so. Wouldn't that mean I'm boiling fluid? I was kind of caught off guard, because I wouldn't have suspected the ps fluid to get as hot as say, brake fluid. I am running 17x9 w/ 255 tires. Much more weight than stock, and I recently put an ALK on. Obviously I'm going to get some redline ps fluid before I go out again. I'm just glad I noticed before I had any issues at speed. It would be scary as hell to have steering problems on a track as fast as TWS.

· Registered
334 Posts
Just added a power steering cooler. Hope it fixes my problems.

The line that goes next to the cap is the one that went to the tank. it now goes strait to the radiator support and to the cooler.

The return line goes from the cooler threw the headlight opening under the tank and makes a u turn to the tank.
I dont like the bend but I tried to make it as smooth as possible. We'll see how it works.

I'm going to figure something to mount it better. I don't really like the little zip tie things

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.