IW STi Forum banner

141 - 160 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #145 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI

So yesterday I ended up having to work to help get a large project out the door by today, so I've got today off :tup:

Its been a productive day for the subie.

Installed a umbrella mount on the trunk lid after stealing the idea from khunter25. I did mine on the trunk lid though to avoid knocking it off when putting big "stuff" in the trunk...

Installed my boy's convertable car seat. Matching Recaros :D

Also washed the car, windex'd the windows, cleaned the headlights with Plast-x (already cleaned the wheels), cleaned my MAF sensor, and mocked up a cardboard cover for the PS Cooler in the winter.

Been a good day :)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #147 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - New pics!

Well, its a day later than promised, but here they are:

I tried to get a few different angles, but I was only on lunch break so I was limited with what I could do... Ideally I'll have a better location and a more 4pm-ish afternoon sun to do some better pictures later.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #148 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Gauges Ordered

I've been wanting oil temp/oil press gauges for a long time, and I've been getting more paranoid, largely because I have no way to know how the car is running without some gauges... Checking your oil periodically only gets you so far.

So I ordered the SMY cluster, an oil temp, and an oil press gauge. It'll be nice to get those in and stop worrying.

Fun fact, I originally was going to buy all three from RSD, but i happened to click on the SMY site, and saved $100 on my order! That sort of thing normally doesn't happen, but I'm not going to complain about my savings :D

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Gauges Ordered

I just read your entire journal. Beautiful car, great job working through your mods!

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #151 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Gauges Installed! (with pics)

Gauges are in! (they have been for a little while actually Ive just been slow updating you guys...)

here is my new gauge cluster view :)

SMY Cluster
Defi Red Racer Oil Temperature on the left
Defi Red Racer Oil Pressure on the right

·
Registered
348 Posts
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Gauges Installed! (with pics)

Gauges look great! Now, send your climate cluster and power window switches in to be converted to RED and it will be PERFECT! Don't forget the Key ring as well, its an easy swap-out to red.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
BlueScooby's 06 STI - Gauges Installed! (with pics)

YES!

I did the key ring already and i really want to send in the other stuff but i cant find anyone to do it... All the vendors ive found have stopped doing conversions :(

Oh, and i did the cig lighter too :tup:

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Tire Question...

So I'm at work with a little free time and I find myself on tirerack.com again... I'm thinking of changing up my tires for the next round.

Right now I have 245/40/17 MPSS, which are great tires, but they are pricey as well as they dont come in 255/40/17 (which I'd rather have)... They are warrantied to 30K miles which is great, but we are taking my car everywhere we go, so mileage is racking up quick. I'd hate to waste most of these amazing (and expensive) tires on the highway...

SO, it appears that the next best thing might be the Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position. My biggest hesitation is mileage though, most tires I like have at least a few reviews of very short mileages. I'd really like to get at least 20K out of any tire I buy.

I'm even considering going to an aggressive all season (i cringe at the idea). Some of the all seasons out now have pretty good levels of grip and last much longer. I hate the idea of sacrificing all my car's performance just for a tire that will last a little longer; but on the street if I can maintain 90% of my grip and get 150% the tread life, then it will probably be worth it.

What do you guys think? Anyone have experience with the S-04s? Should I look to something like the Pilot Sport A/S 3?

My main concerns at this point are basically $/mile and total grip levels...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

Heh, figured I'd give a courtesy drive-by to yer too since you've been following my blog. Not many do but yer one! Thank ye! Oh, and anyone that has a GD WRC car in his avatar is cool with me! :tup:

YEE-HAW! :D

Sadly, I can't help you with your tire thing... Is it because I won't or I can't? I think you know! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #157

Ha, i love that gif!

I really enjoy your blog, although I have to admit i read most of your new posts through my email updates...lol I wish I had more "custom" work into my car, but I dont have nearly the time I'd need to come up with half of what you've done. :tup:

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #158

Warning: Wall-of-Text below! For optimum view pleasure, read the first sentence (not including this warning) and the last sentence.

-------------------------------------------------

So, here’s the update on the Tires front.

From the suggestions I received I have narrowed them down to three tires that seem to suit my needs/goals the best right now.

1. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S-3 - $166/tire or $664/set - 45K Mile Warranty (68 miles, per dollar, per set)
2. Continental DWS - $141/tire or $564/set - 50K Mile Warranty (89 miles, per dollar, per set)
3. General GMAX AS-03 - $116/tire or $464/set - 40K Mile Warranty (86 miles, per dollar, per set)

So as you can see, the Michelins are the most expensive and the least mile per dollar, BUT they are the best tire. They have the most grip, they are the quietest, and IMO are arguably highest “quality” tire as well.

Heres where it gets interesting, the overall grip from all three tires is fairly close, so lets put that on the back burner and look at everything else.

The Conti’s have the best mileage warranty and best mile per dollar value, and they have the best snow traction. I will only need the snow traction for maybe one week a year though… (but it would be so nice to have during that one week)

The Generals are by far the cheapest, and have the lowest mileage warranty, but are nearly equal to the Conti’s in miles per dollar value. But being the cheap tires they are, they are more noisy and sometimes have issues with cupping.

I’m an engineer and I like numbers. So here’s some numbers.

Scale of 1-5, 5 being best. (numbers in parenthesis are “weighted” by how important I think that category is, which is a multiplier)

Value (4):
DWS=5 (20)
GMAX=5 (20)
MPS A/S =3 (12)

Dry Grip (5):
MPS A/S =5 (25)
DWS=4 (20)
GMAX=4 (20)

Noise/Comfort (2):
MPS A/S =5 (10)
DWS=5 (10)
GMAX=3 (6)

Snow Grip(1):
DWS=5 (5)
GMAX=4 (4)
MPS A/S =3 (3)

So here is the purely analytical answer:

DWS: 19 (55)
GMAX: 16 (50)
MPS A/S: 16 (50)

As you can see with the weighted scores, all three tire choices are still fairly close (only 9% deviation between first and last place). But there is a clear victor between weighted and un-weighted scoring.

Congratulations Continental DWS, you have one the first inaugural which-tire-suits-me-best contest!

The Conti’s appear to have the most of “what I want” comparatively; they last the longest, have the best value, and the best snow traction. So there you have it.

Unless there is some kind of sale where the Michelins are significantly cheaper, then it looks like the DWS are my next tire choice.

·
Registered
87 Posts

From what I remember reading, it was looking like the DWS will get less miles than the mpss.

I was between them on my first go around with this car and went with the mpss

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #160

From what I remember reading, it was looking like the DWS will get less miles than the mpss.

I was between them on my first go around with this car and went with the mpss

Youre probably confusing their summer tire the DW with the all season DWS. The DWS has a 50k mile warranty compared with the 30k you get with the MPSS

141 - 160 of 1193 Posts