·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,182
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis

Nice looking wheel and a lucky draw.

Goes well with the rest of the car.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I've always thought that wheel looked "OEM" or what we should've had from the factory anyway. It feels so at home in the car, it seems like it has always been there :D

Not hating, but agree ^^^^.

Darryl

;)
haha, I can't blame you ;)

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,184

Car is finally done being fixed. After the coil pack/spark plug/O2 sensor to get it running right agian, I needed to replace the gas tank vents and the charcoal canister to get the gas tank to stop acting weird. Finally got all that done and everything is back to normal again :D

·
Super Moderator
8,427 Posts

I really like the steering wheel, except for the flat bottom. I'll never really understand the flat bottom wheels on cars that need to have the wheel turned half way around.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,186

I really like the steering wheel, except for the flat bottom. I'll never really understand the flat bottom wheels on cars that need to have the wheel turned half way around.
Yeah, I always thought it looked cool, but its actually rather impractical... If I had the chance to do it over, I would get the regular "O-shaped" wheel.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,188

welp, this summer is not quite going as planned. I wanted to get back out to the track again, but I've got too much to take care of first and hardly any time to do it all... So I doubt I'll get back out before this season is over :crash:

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,189

Nothing but crickets in here...

I'll try and at least give you an update on whats going on (or will be at least).

Next month I'm having a new catback fabbed up using some oval tubing for clearance to the underbody. Once its fabbed I'm going to have the whole thing ceramic coated to keep the heat where it belongs.

I have yet to wire up the JDM mirrors. Just keep forgetting to do anything about it. Some day I suppose...

I also want to duct the front bumper to the radiator. My bumper is cut for a FMIC so I'd like to be able to force the air where I want it to go.

Lastly, and more importantly, I need to upgrade fueling and charge cooling. The injectors are getting less accurate on the top end and are giving me FBK occasionally. So I'm going to make the jump to topfeeds and larger injectors. It will let me turn up the boost a bit as well. I'm also going to replace my stock TMIC with a Process West unit, as temps rise under full throttle currently, and its only going to get worse down the road... The goal is to have the injectors/TMIC on hand and installed by the spring, so I can get my updated tuning done during the heat of the summer.

I'm not going with flexfuel yet, but I am going for injectors large enough that I can add FF later if I want. Just cant justify the extra cost on top of all the other cost at the moment.

So no more track time until that gets sorted out at the very least.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts

Nothing but crickets in here...

I'll try and at least give you an update on whats going on (or will be at least).

Next month I'm having a new catback fabbed up using some oval tubing for clearance to the underbody. Once its fabbed I'm going to have the whole thing ceramic coated to keep the heat where it belongs.

I have yet to wire up the JDM mirrors. Just keep forgetting to do anything about it. Some day I suppose...

I also want to duct the front bumper to the radiator. My bumper is cut for a FMIC so I'd like to be able to force the air where I want it to go.

Lastly, and more importantly, I need to upgrade fueling and charge cooling. The injectors are getting less accurate on the top end and are giving me FBK occasionally. So I'm going to make the jump to topfeeds and larger injectors. It will let me turn up the boost a bit as well. I'm also going to replace my stock TMIC with a Process West unit, as temps rise under full throttle currently, and its only going to get worse down the road... The goal is to have the injectors/TMIC on hand and installed by the spring, so I can get my updated tuning done during the heat of the summer.

I'm not going with flexfuel yet, but I am going for injectors large enough that I can add FF later if I want. Just cant justify the extra cost on top of all the other cost at the moment.

So no more track time until that gets sorted out at the very least.
I like it reasonable realistic improvements and refinements all the time.

You will get some power and respose with reduced temps of a larger IC I imagine.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,191

I like it reasonable realistic improvements and refinements all the time.

You will get some power and respose with reduced temps of a larger IC I imagine.
Thanks! Thats sort of my general philosophy with this car I guess. I'm hoping that after this the big-dollar items are all covered and can focus on seat time. I really need to get a lot more of that. Its clear to me after the last track outting, that the difference between track tires/brakes and road tires/brakes is enough to not be super comfortable with where my limits are. I have a lot of learning to do.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,192
So, I have finally made some progress on a few items, to have a setback in the way of a deer, resulting in an insurance claim and repair work... The good news there, is the damage is relatively minor (in terms of hitting a deer at least). Front bumper looks like it will be replaced, and the undertray will be replaced.

I have to be honest, I bought the Beatrush tray for aero reasons not skid-plate reasons, but it sure as heck saved me from catastrophic damage under the car :O Right now it seems there is no other major damage which is nothing short of miraculous!

So now, I will be focusing on getting the front of the car back in order, but at least I recently accomplished a few other items.

JDM mirrors are finally FULLY wired and operational (as shown on IG). Very pleased with these.

AEM UEGO Wideband is finally up and running (had to send it back for warranty replacement, but AEM had fantastic customer service and got me a good one!). Got the gauge ported into the ECU for monitoring there as well!

Finally I just installed the new/revised axle back. I had a friend at a local shop take the new muffler (same muffler as before, just without the catback) and build an axle back from scratch using some oval piping, a lot of beautiful welds, pie cuts, and finally ceramic coating.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,194
So the forum looks totally different now. Seems super dead on this site lately. Oh well

Car is back from the body shop. Took about a month to deal with Insurance coming out a couple times to look at the car. Body shop worked on the car for about 2 days... I am waiting to put the new bumper on until the paint cures, and can be clear-bra'd. Don't want the nice new bumper to get all rock-chipped up ;)

Now I am waiting for a replacment beatrush undertray, which won't be here until February... UGH.

In the meantime I am keeping myself busy with projects! I have 4 projects I want to accomplish over the winter, prior to the power upgrades.
1 - build front splitter to replace panels that were previously under the front bumper. Will be very mild, probably only about an inch extension past the front lip. Mostly to help clean up airflow for rest of underbody.
2 - Steering wheel radio buttons! After being in a rental for a month, I was reminded how awesome they are. Purchased a legacy wheel with radio buttons and the corresponding clock spring. Hopefully install won't be too bad. Worst case, I'm hacking up and merging the two clock spring harnesses to make them work. Its really just a bridge for the wiring connections after all. Then wire to the SWC adapter to send signal to the radio! Badabing, badaboom.
3 - Add some tire wake deflectors to the rear diffuser. Basically some horizontal blades (sort of like giant dive planes) attached to the bottom of each end fence. Just to clean up the airflow and help keep some of the wheel wake from rolling back under the diffuser.
4 - build some ducting from the rad-support to the bumper. Apparently, even the un-cut factory fresh bumper still doesn't get closer than 3-4 inches from the radiator support. Not good enough! A little sheet metal (or maybe sheet-ABS) should make a nice go between for the bumper to slip into.

That should keep me busy for the next month or two of weekends ;)

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,197
just figured I'd check back in here and saw my last post was a while ago. so quick update on the "four" projects I named.
1. Basically built, currently building adjustable brackets as a second try to get it fit properly.
2. Done. I love the buttons on the steering wheel! Such a nice addition :)
3. Done.
4. Done.

Going forward I'm going to be re-evaluating the underbody panels up front and how they mesh with the splitter. As it stands, it needs a little work so we will see what happens there. Might see if I have enough alumalite left to do a better version of the setup up front. :)

1181 - 1197 of 1197 Posts