IW STi Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,161 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - V3 Diffuser rain test video

Me too. I wish I had the telemetry in place to really be able to tell what exactly is happening. I will probably have downforce equivalent to a heavy passenger in the backseat...LOL.

I wish there was a similar spec'd GD out there to compare times with. There will be a 2017 STI in my run group though, so I hope we a chance to duke it out a little :devil:

EDIT: based on some google-fu it looks like a good target laptime for me would be around 1:35 to 1:40. Looking up some "enthusiast" times yielded about 1:35 for a E46 M3 and about 1:38 for a miata. I also found GR doing about a 1:38 (based on rough youtube clocking...haha). I'm not sure how well I will do getting laptimes near there since this is my first HPDE at this track, but at least I have something to measure against.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,165
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis

Track day download:

Overall the day was fun, but there was a few hiccups. I got to track a little later than planned and missed the first session. Session 2 and 3 the car felt great and drove great, but the numbers on the Cobb AP were not looking good. Tuner thought the car was probably ok since there were no external signs of problems. Fluids all good, temps/pressures all good, car sounds good, drives good etc. Car doesn't want to fill the gas tank though, maybe a clogged tank vent? Fourth session the car showed a misfire code(engine light flashed for second but didnt stay on) and hesitated a little (maybe fuel starve?) so I called it a day (skipped 5th/final session). Normal driving the car is fine, but it still won't fill the gas tank.

Basically the gas gauge seems stuck at 3/8 of a tank and I can't seem to put more than 2 gal into it. I have literally no idea how much gas is in my tank. Emailed the shop details and asked when they can look at it for me.

At least I was logging while on track, so I've sent the logs to the tuner to review to see if I just had a batch of bad gas or if there is something that needs to be addressed in the tune. Its worth noting (relating to the tune quality) that the third session did not have the ECU numbers all over the place like previously, making me think I had bad gas that was then worked out of the system.

Overall the 2nd/3rd sessions ended up being my only full sessions on track but the car felt great while we were out there. It took me the first half of each session to really get up to speed and into a groove, but once I was there, I was competitive with the other cars on track. I went giving lots of point-bys to getting lots of point-bys. That felt pretty good.

No idea on lap times though. I was planning to try to log some times for the final session since I was learning the track for the first few but that never happened. Also, there was enough cars on the track, that I doubt I would've had a good clean lap to set a time with.

I do feel like the aero mods helped though. In the second session (my first) I was able to catch a civic that I had pointed by previously and I was able to carry a little more speed through the corners than they were. Considering they probably were like 800lbs lighter, that seemed very improbable. I definitely felt like I had good grip through the day.

I do have some footage to upload though. I'll post that once its up.

Heres the few pics I took:
Packing the car

Day before, ready to go

In the paddock, with tape numbers because I forgot my magnetic ones :(

Post track carnage ;)

Side note: 7k/6k springs is definitely too low for a dedicated track car :lol: But, I think its a good compromise for a daily.

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts

Nice update, possible Evap issue causing pump nozzle to click?

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,167

Yeah, thats what I'm thinking. Perhaps the tank vent valve is clogged or something. Although that doesn't answer the weird business of the gas gauge being stuck. I just went to fill up during lunch and still only got 2 gal into the tank, and the needle didnt budge...:tdown:

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,168

Doing some minor video editing to cut out the junk and string them together, then upload!

In the mean time the photographer already posted the pics, and here are my top 5 :D
(its too bad I have stupid tape numbers instead of my nice magnetic ones for these pics...)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,169

Here are the videos. The gopro apparently took like (12) 8-minute videos, so I had to stitch them together before uploading...lol

Session 2 (Full)
First session on this track, spent a good portion of this session learning the layout and braking/turn-in points. Near the end of this session I picked up the pace and started being more competitive.

Session 3 (Partial - Battery Died)
This was probably my best session in terms of driving and clear track. Unfortunately, the battery on the camera died so we only have the first few minutes. Still spent the first couple laps warming up so I'm not sure how much faster I went after the camera died. I just remember this session feeling pretty good.

Session 4 (Full but cut short)
This session was cut short due to the misfire and hesitation I felt. You can see me slow down and get out of the gas a few times before I finally called it a day.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,170

Shop is looking for evap type of issue on the gas tank. Suspect the plastic vent valves are the culprit.

Also, missing the track already! Despite this track being a "test track" and having lots of constant radius corners, I really enjoyed it. It really helped me focus on car control and being able to slowly roll in towards the apex and controlling the car position through each corner.

I want to go back! Maybe next time I can keep in the gas a bit better since I'm more familiar with the track now.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,171

So I got the car back last week. Gas tank issues are not fixed yet as they wanted to let the tank drain down a bit more before dropping it to replace the vent valves.

In the mean time however, I did get a new cylinder 3 coil pack, new spark plugs and a new O2/AFR sensor in the up-pipe. Basically the hesitation/misfiring started with the cyl 3 coil pack (so we think). It wasn't firing properly so the cylinder was misfiring, eroded the spark plug electrode almost completely, and was spewing gas into the exhaust which threw off the AFR plug. All while causing the AFR plug to think I'm running rich and pulling fueling back, and actually making the car run lean...

So now, that is fixed and the car is driving good again, I just need to get the tank vent valves replaced. Or just keep driving the car with less than half tank :bs:

In the mean time however, I scored a sweet DAMD wheel for the car on the formerly known as Beverly Hills Copt FB page. Now its Top Shelf Waffle or something, not real sure what happened there. Either way, I won the raffle and got some sweet JDM goodness! Wifi at work is killing picture uploads, so I'll have to upload a pic later. Or you could just check out my IG, for those who havent already.

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts

Yeah, second time he ran random number generator my number came up, the third time for real it was you. Again congratulations.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,173

Yeah, I wasn't sure why he did it multiple times except to maybe prove hes not faking it or something.
Thanks tho, that was really exciting to win! This has been a real want for a long time but could never justify (probably like most of us).

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,176

Nice! I want a DAMD wheel but can't justify the price lol
I'm in the same boat with you. Only reason I have one now is from winning the raffle on the Top Shelf and Rare Parts page

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

I'm in the same boat with you. Only reason I have one now is from winning the raffle on the Top Shelf and Rare Parts page
That was you! You bastard. lol

Did you do one a while ago or recently? I only bought one raffle recently.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,178

Haha yeah. Me and one other guy. Darryl was close with getting his number pulled on a practice draw, but missed in the real-deal.

It was like a month ago or so. I bought two raffles thinking most folks were doing so, and it gave me a 1/20 chance of winning. Also, my winning number was the second one I picked, so its a good thing I got both... haha Super lucky, I feel like I never win anything so this was pretty sweet!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts

Nice looking wheel and a lucky draw.

Goes well with the rest of the car.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts
1161 - 1180 of 1193 Posts