IW STi Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 1193 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Got the car detailed!

Got to go karting with the local subaru club at VIR yesterday, for the first time in a while. They recently upgraded their karts and let me tell you, they are SO MUCH BETTER! The course is also counterclockwise now, which I had only driven clockwise previously. So new karts, and a new layout; what could go wrong? haha These karts wanted to lock the rears under hard braking at nearly every turn. Made for some lively turn-ins. You will notice in the videos, I do get a little sideways under braking a few times. I actually started pumping the gas a little under braking to keep the rears from locking and the engine from stalling. Worked pretty well for the most part.

I ended up with being third place in both races. They guy in first place grew up racing karts competitively, so its really like second place of the normal people... haha Either way, in new karts and a new layout, I'll take it!

2018-07-01: TSO goes to VIR Race1 - YouTube
2018-07-01: TSO goes to VIR Race2 - YouTube

[edit:youtube embedding seems to not be working for me for some reason so i have links...]

Yep something else broke here. I've stopped reporting issues as the current regime is clueless.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,083
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Got the car detailed!

Second place of normal people. Hahaha love it.

Look like you had fun.
Haha, yes it was a blast! I miss it already...

The car is looking great! I need to take some time and do the same to mine. When I detailed my SHO, it was a huge difference.
Thanks! I'm really impressed with how well it came out :tup:

Yep something else broke here. I've stopped reporting issues as the current regime is clueless.
:tdown:

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,084
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Oswald Performance Front Bumper Beam Installed

The garage is getting pretty close to finished now. I even got to do car things in it this weekend! :lol:

Heres a recent pic. I've added some more yard tools to the wall since then, but this is relativly complete for what is shown. I painted the walls, sealed the floors, added several lights, changed out the garage door and opener, hung some shelves, built the workbench and hung the cabinets.

Here is an old panoramic to show most of the space (despite not having as much done yet):

And then, finally this weekend I installed my new Oswald Performance front bumper beam. I had to remove my oil cooler unfortunately as now it doesn't fit, but I think I have a solution to this. More to come later on that.

Bumper beam installed:

Buttoned back together. i went ahead and installed the tow hook as well since I would have to remove the bumper to install it later (the grill blocks access to the bolts). It doesn't stick out too far which I think is nice too, so its not super attention grabbing. But the kids at Cars and Coffee will love it :lol:

·
Registered
170 Posts

Looks great. Love all the electric outlets you added to the bench.. great idea. What product did you use to seal the floor? I am planning on sealing my garage floor soon as well and am starting to research a little...

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,086

Looks great. Love all the electric outlets you added to the bench.. great idea. What product did you use to seal the floor? I am planning on sealing my garage floor soon as well and am starting to research a little...
Thanks, the electrical outlets were actually my co-workers idea, and I am SO glad I added them. The floors were done professionally. Its an epoxy base coat, a TON of flakes, and a Polyspartic top coat. They diamond-grinded the entire concrete floor first to open up the concrete and promote adhesion. Its WAY better than one of those DIY kits and has a lifetime warranty :tup:

·
Registered
170 Posts

Thanks, the electrical outlets were actually my co-workers idea, and I am SO glad I added them. The floors were done professionally. Its an epoxy base coat, a TON of flakes, and a Polyspartic top coat. They diamond-grinded the entire concrete floor first to open up the concrete and promote adhesion. Its WAY better than one of those DIY kits and has a lifetime warranty :tup:

Excellent!

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts

Love the garage.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,091

Its been a little slow on the car front lately but I have done a few things... I redid the oil cooler and trimmed the bumper beam to fit it. Although because I trimmed it, I welded in a support bar inside to sort of take the place of the removed material. Had to relocate the horns as well. Getting a bit tight in here...

I finally started working on installing the ARP lug studs from Penguin Garage (T3hclap). I've only got the fronts done for now, as the rears are a bit more difficult. I may pull the rears apart and replace the wheel bearings while I'm in there. Anyway heres a couple shots of the fronts:

Also picked up a set of JDM folding mirrors on ebay for like a $100. They are super cheap, although most of them have some scratches and stuff in the paint. I found a set that looked pretty decent and immediately handed them over to a friend who details cars to fix em up for me.

This is the worst of it, which is actually not too bad compared to some of the ones ebay:

Now that the paint is looking decent (more pics later), I'm going to cover them in expel and then start trying to mount them. I havent decided how I'm going to handle mounting the switch yet, but there is no really simple solution it seems :( For now I'm waiting for the touchup paint to finish curing before I get them covered.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts

Awesome car and member journal!

Where did you get those new Brembo caliper stickers for your car? Also how did you remove the factory red ones? It looks like they can be rubbed off with a compound or some kind of acetone?

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,095

Awesome car and member journal!

Where did you get those new Brembo caliper stickers for your car? Also how did you remove the factory red ones? It looks like they can be rubbed off with a compound or some kind of acetone?

Those are the original brembo stickers. They turned color from heating up at the track.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,096
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Coilovers ordered! Selling FEAL Revalves/JDM Pinks

My struts have been making some noise and are apparently needing to be rebuilt. They've been doing it a while now and is part of the reason I haven't done any events this year. I finally took the plunge and ordered a set of coilovers. My current suspension is great, but I don't want to put more money into a non-adjustable setup... So I'm going to try to sell them instead to recoup some cost on the coilovers.

I decided on Fortune Auto 510s. Ive heard lots of good things about them and honestly I think its the best option for me at this price range. One of the selling points for me is actually the separate height-adjustment to spring-preload. A lot of very good coilovers don't do this for some reason (I'm guessing for simplicity or ease of maintenance?) Theoretically I could use that to tune the springs a little to each track, but we all know I'm never going to do that... haha I do like having the option though.

I'm going to check out the possiblity of corner balancing the car too. I'm not sure what that'll cost, but it sure would be nice to be able to utilize all that adjustment to actually fine tune the handling a bit.

At Geoff's suggestion (Cygnus Performance) I went with 7k/6k springs to step up the springs from my current setup with out going overboard. I didn't want to go too aggressive on the springs since I daily this car (literally to work every day...).

So, now that the order is placed, all I have to do is wait a few weeks... I'm excited to finally have ordered these, but I'm even more excited to get back out to the track next season!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

Woop! Congrats on the purchase, sorry I kept you on the hook for a while there! You'll like 'em.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,098

Woop! Congrats on the purchase, sorry I kept you on the hook for a while there! You'll like 'em.
Thanks! No worries, I wasn't really ready to pull the trigger until now anyway. Besides, your springs were a bit more intense than i was really looking for anyway.

I'm really excited to get them in! I splurged a bit and paid for the "remote damper controller." It was pricey, and I really didnt want to spend on it, but I really like the idea of being able to adjust damping on the fly, as well as having a few setpoints I can quickly select. I like the option of basically having regular-sport-track settings that I can fine tune. It should be pretty cool :cool:

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts

Everyone is headed to Fortune.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

Remote damper controller, nice! I wanted one of those too, pricey...

1081 - 1100 of 1193 Posts