IW STi Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 1193 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Wheel swap time

Kansai Service FTW!

I can say the APR one is mildly effective from what I've read, but it's not as deep as the Kansai one, so not as effective. Also from what I've read, people say that it's not really noticeable once installed since it's not very large. Again, this is where the Kansai piece is better. I'd stay away from Forcewerkz as their production is spotty and there have been more than a few reports of quality issues. Forcewerkz just copies designs anyway. Then there's the Mature diffuser, but again that's a JDM piece and you would be subject to typical JDM price/lead time on delivery.

Trimmed my post for non-topic relevance.

·
Registered
694 Posts

You know Brapp....I've got a potential GB open for the Kansai Service diffuser, if you missed that I posted about that in my journal. The price decreases the more people we get in on it, however I'm not sure if you're looking to spend that much for a diffuser. PM me if you're interested. It does require bumper modification though...

I can say the APR one is mildly effective from what I've read, but it's not as deep as the Kansai one, so not as effective. Also from what I've read, people say that it's not really noticeable once installed since it's not very large. Again, this is where the Kansai piece is better. I'd stay away from Forcewerkz as their production is spotty and there have been more than a few reports of quality issues. Forcewerkz just copies designs anyway. Then there's the Mature diffuser, but again that's a JDM piece and you would be subject to typical JDM price/lead time on delivery. But like I said if you're interested in the Kansai thing, PM me, there's three of us so far.

Sorry to do this in your journal Blue; if you want me to remove it, let me know.
Appreciate the info! Sent you a PM about the diffuser :)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,063

The Kansai and Mature are the two main ones that I recall looking like they had a functional shape. Their effectiveness will be limited without a flat floor ofcourse but most aftermarket diffusers purposefully keep the diffuser opening up above the rear diff/gas tanks to avoid being a parachute... the other point would be the diffuser angle. These diffusers tend to be more flat under the car and the just roll upwards with on a continuous arc, rather than a raked non-curved rise. The curve is good for limiting the flow seperation at the entrance to the diffuser, but beyond that you are simply increasing the “diffuser angle” up beyond the recommended range of angles.

Long story short, the Kansai and Mature are probably more beneficial to have than nothing but will probably not be able to add a noticeable difference in performance. Aero parts can be super finicky sometimes, and even my full flat floor and diffuser doesn’t do much of anything below freeway speeds.

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

Agreed though, that you wouldn't see the full effect of a diffuser without a flat floor, so to this point at least for me it's for looks as well as a bit of functionality. But I have also been thinking of a way to make flat floor similar to yours...

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,065

Agreed though, that you wouldn't see the full effect of a diffuser without a flat floor, so to this point at least for me it's for looks as well as a bit of functionality. But I have also been thinking of a way to make flat floor similar to yours...
Yeah the flat floor plays a huge part in the diffuser functionality because its eliminating all that turbulent air and drag up at the underside of the car. Keeping that top layer of air smooth and attached helps the airflow keep from separating once it enters the diffuser and is asked to accelerate and change direction.

One side note about the flat floor though, access to things under the car becomes a bit more of a burden. If you plan on getting under there a lot, make sure you have a system of easy to remove/re-attach panels. My latest round of panels are larger than before which is great for aero but also a little more difficult to remove and replace. The panel under the cabin is the worst for this because its under the center part of the car and its like 5' ish long. At least that panel is really only covering the exhaust/transmission and driveshaft... I don't have much need to remove it currently. The panel under the gas tank section however has been off several times recently, with looking into fuel pump issues (needed to drain the tank) and access to suspension for an alignment. The diffuser has to come off with these as well, but at least its at the back so it is much more accessible to mount.

The other thing is heat management. On the street, heat management isn't too much of a struggle, but if you started doing enduro-races it would definitely be a concern (see boostjunkies build). For me, I have the downpipe ceramic coated so heat transfer to the transmission is reduced, and I have thermal blanket (the strap mounted one) between the exhaust and the rear diff. Couple that with the airflow down the tunnel and out the back and I have had zero heat related issues to date. :tup:

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,066 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Took some infrared pics of the car!

What do you do when you have an Infrared Camera at work and nobody is using it? Take pictures of the car ofcourse!

I wanted to show heat coming out of the fender vents which was not as easy as I was hoping. The temperature of the louver is not that much greater than the rest of the fender after driving around town so the visuals are not as much of a stark contrast, but you can still see whats going on. I took a couple temperature points of the outer fender (cooler blue area), the inner fender area (which has heat transfer from the wheel and engine bay warming it), and the actual louver itself, which is almost as warm as the inner fender but not as much.

Now there are a couple interesting factors (to me at least) at play here.
1. There is warm air from the fender being heated by the tires/brakes and engine bay being exhausted through the louver and warming it.
2. The Exhausted air from the fender is significantly warmer than the ambient air (its like 60 degrees F ambient currently and the pics show the inner fender around 110 degrees F).
3. The louver temperature is much closer to the exhaust air temperature than the ambient. air temperature.

This tells me that there must be an airflow bubble around the louver that is not allowing the ambient air to contact and cool the louvers while driving. So there must be a pretty decent amount of air pressure exiting these vents to displace the high pressure ambient airflow. Singular Motorsports know there stuff!

SP1: Louver temp
SP2: Temperature inside the fender
SP3: Fender temp1
SP4: Fender temp2
SP5: Tire temp

These temperatures were taken after driving around town, higher speeds may change how hot the louver is able to get. Racing, which naturally produces much more heat, will probably show and even greater heat delta of exhausted air.

Oh, and while we're at it, here is the little exhaust heat shield I made, surrounding the exhaust tips, clearly working well :tup:

And here is a picture of the turbo/downpipe. There is as much as an 80 degree F difference between the outside of the turbo blanket and the exterior of the downpipe (which is ceramic coated)! Based on these temps, its pretty clear i wasn't driving the car too hard. LOL

That was fun. What else can I do with that camera :domo:

·
Registered
2,223 Posts

Sooo cool

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
694 Posts

Whoa fun. I love infrared cameras.

It would be interesting to see how fast the exhaust cools as it goes down the turboback. It's always slightly astounded me how EGT temps can be 1300 or so degrees but by the time it leaves the back of the car it's only kinda warm.

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts

You get mail?

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,072

Whoa fun. I love infrared cameras.

It would be interesting to see how fast the exhaust cools as it goes down the turboback. It's always slightly astounded me how EGT temps can be 1300 or so degrees but by the time it leaves the back of the car it's only kinda warm.
That would be pretty neat, although you would be measuring pipe temperature rather than gas temperature which will be a bit lower, but you'd still get the picture.

You get mail?
I did, thanks for the swag! Ive been super busy with the move and all, so I'm not even sure where that stuff ended up. lol Been working on getting the house un-packed and will be starting on the garage shortly. Going to try to fix it up a bit nicer than the last place. I'll have to post a pic whenever i get done :tup:

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts

That would be pretty neat, although you would be measuring pipe temperature rather than gas temperature which will be a bit lower, but you'd still get the picture.

I did, thanks for the swag! Ive been super busy with the move and all, so I'm not even sure where that stuff ended up. lol Been working on getting the house un-packed and will be starting on the garage shortly. Going to try to fix it up a bit nicer than the last place. I'll have to post a pic whenever i get done :tup:
Congratulations on the move!

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,074 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Got the car detailed!

So, not much has been going on car-wise lately with the move and whatnot. I have been working on building out the garage though, so that is coming along. About two weeks ago I had a local club member, who details cars for a living (and on the side), come out and work on the STI. The car has needed it for a long time and I finally pulled the trigger on it. Needless to say he did an amazing job and buffed out a ton of imperfections and really made the paint shine like never before :tup:

(Side note, none of these pics have been messed with at all; straight from the camera. Unlike instagram...haha)

I am pretty excited about the progress in the garage though. I don't want to show a bunch of pictures yet since its not finished, but I will show you what I started with. Its basically an empty poorly lit garage here. But to me its a blank slate to start from and build out what I want. (And I actually demo'd the little bit of what was already built in there too.

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts

Looks good, getting my car professionally detailed and the coating applied was the best thing I did. Pictures from Gridlife Midwest with my car among 5 so called WRB cars proves it.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,076

Looks good, getting my car professionally detailed and the coating applied was the best thing I did. Pictures from Gridlife Midwest with my car among 5 so called WRB cars proves it.

Its crazy how big of a difference it makes! I was truly impressed with how much better the paint looked!

·
Registered
899 Posts

Looks really good, Aaron!

I should do mine again too.

Also have fun getting that Garage Set up your way!
I can't wait to do mine after we've moved :)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,079 (Edited)

Got to go karting with the local subaru club at VIR yesterday, for the first time in a while. They recently upgraded their karts and let me tell you, they are SO MUCH BETTER! The course is also counterclockwise now, which I had only driven clockwise previously. So new karts, and a new layout; what could go wrong? haha These karts wanted to lock the rears under hard braking at nearly every turn. Made for some lively turn-ins. You will notice in the videos, I do get a little sideways under braking a few times. I actually started pumping the gas a little under braking to keep the rears from locking and the engine from stalling. Worked pretty well for the most part.

I ended up with being third place in both races. They guy in first place grew up racing karts competitively, so its really like second place of the normal people... haha Either way, in new karts and a new layout, I'll take it!

2018-07-01: TSO goes to VIR Race1 - YouTube
2018-07-01: TSO goes to VIR Race2 - YouTube

[edit:youtube embedding seems to not be working for me for some reason so i have links...]

·
Registered
2,223 Posts

Second place of normal people. Hahaha love it.

Look like you had fun.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1061 - 1080 of 1193 Posts