IW STi Forum banner

981 - 1000 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #982
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Building Rear Diffuser

minor update. Haven't been making much progress on the diffuser lately with life stuff getting in the way... But I'm very close to finishing it. I need to grind a smidge off the strakes to get them to sit flush with the diffuser then I can mount them and will be done!

Ive also got a couple other small things in the works. One of which is making my own test mode switch thanks to the folks at iwire (thanks to Daryl for posting the link in the track subies FB group!). I know this is probably not a big deal to anyone else, but now I won't have to crawl under the dash to plug in those green connectors anymore if I need to flash the ECU for any reason :tup:

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #985
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Diffuser/Underbody Completed!

Well i finished up the strakes, got them mounted and put a layer of flat-black on the whole thing. I also replaced the SS exhaust heat shield on the diffuser with a larger one that can keep all the exhaust off the aluminum as well as lift it up a little higher to disrupt underbody airflow less.

Just after I finished installing the strakes and painting (still wet, hence the gloss):

installed:

I'm going to call the underbody V2 project done at this point. I might tweak it a little here or there later on, but that'll just be a continuation of I-cant-leave-anything-alone. On to the next thing!

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #986

Last night I finally figured out how to remount my lil fire extinguisher. I used to have it just in front of the driver seat on the floor, but the new(ish) floor mats are in the way now. So I found a new, and probably better (I think so anyway) location that is much more accessible and visible. I may even get the size up to put here and stow this one elsewhere.

Just drilled a couple small holes for the screws, and voila!
(nevermind the painters tape thats still on there...haha)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts

Love the seat.

The diffuser is nicely done, just a bit over the top with the rest of the car. This is styling wise only as your flat floor will work very nicely with this.

·
Registered
339 Posts

Love the seat.

The diffuser is nicely done, just a bit over the top with the rest of the car. This is styling wise only as your flat floor will work very nicely with this.
Agree. Fuser is badass! Maybe maybe add flares, or widebody to fit that badass mod. :)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #989

Love the seat.

that just means I need to make the rest of the car crazier :lol::devil:

·
Premium Member
94 Posts

Agree. Fuser is badass! Maybe maybe add flares, or widebody to fit that badass mod. :)
WRC style wing to match the overhang as well as flare/wide body?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #994

WRC style wing to match the overhang as well as flare/wide body?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
I do like the sound of that! It would certainly make the diffuser overhang less awkward :tup:

·
Registered
339 Posts

I do like the sound of that! It would certainly make the diffuser overhang less awkward :tup:
YES YES YES! Sounds badass!

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #996

I attempted to video some driving in the rain to show the water carried behind the car but it didn't turn out as good as I was hoping. I need to mount the camera differently, and I also need it to rain harder...haha

So its not super easy to see, but there are a few good moments where you can see a bit of haze behind the car. It doesn't stand out from other cars very well, but I can assure you it is much more water.

The audio was a ton of loud water droplets so I added some classic "Orion" to be more pleasing to the ears :tup:

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #997 (Edited)

Happy Holidays everyone! I hope you got some car parts ;)

I got a couple little new things to share. A Kartboy "tallboy" shifter, a custom machined shifter extension my Dad made, titanium brake shims, and a set of new speakers for the front doors. :D

Also had enough free time to mount up the quick connect latches for the bumper corners.

Wasn't able to fit the bumper-side of the latch high enough to re-use the holes I drilled for the home-depot version of bumper latches. So I filled them with epoxy and then added some touch-up paint (still wet in the pic).

From Russia with love ;)

Tallboy shifter with some heat shrink on it to prevent rattling:

And here's the shifter extension. I gave my dad the spec's to machine this from stainless steel but I wasn't sure how high I wanted the extension to be. This one is about 3" tall, but hes making one that is 6" tall as well.

So far the extension, coupled with the short shifter (and already having done all the shifter bushings) feels amazing, and totally natural! I'm excited to see how the other one works after he gets around to machining it. Its nice to have a machinist in the family :tup:

·
Registered
339 Posts

Happy Holidays everyone! I hope you got some car parts ;)

I got a couple little new things to share. A Kartboy "tallboy" shifter, a custom machined shifter extension my Dad made, titanium brake shims, and a set of new speakers for the front doors. :D

Also had enough free time to mount up the quick connect latches for the bumper corners.
Image Link

Wasn't able to fit the bumper-side of the latch high enough to re-use the holes I drilled for the home-depot version of bumper latches. So I filled them with epoxy and then added some touch-up paint (still wet in the pic).
Image Link

From Russia with love ;)
Image Link

Image Link

Tallboy shifter with some heat shrink on it to prevent rattling:
Image Link

And here's the shifter extension. I gave my dad the spec's to machine this from stainless steel but I wasn't sure how high I wanted the extension to be. This one is about 3" tall, but hes making one that is 6" tall as well.
Image Link

So far the extension, coupled with the short shifter (and already having done all the shifter bushings) feels amazing, and totally natural! I'm excited to see how the other one works after he gets around to machining it. Its nice to have a machinist in the family :tup:
LOVE IT!!! Build is sick!

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts

Well i finished up the strakes, got them mounted and put a layer of flat-black on the whole thing. I also replaced the SS exhaust heat shield on the diffuser with a larger one that can keep all the exhaust off the aluminum as well as lift it up a little higher to disrupt underbody airflow less.

Just after I finished installing the strakes and painting (still wet, hence the gloss):
Image Link

installed:
Image Link

I'm going to call the underbody V2 project done at this point. I might tweak it a little here or there later on, but that'll just be a continuation of I-cant-leave-anything-alone. On to the next thing!

:eek::eek: How much does it weigh?

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,000

:eek::eek: How much does it weigh?
I haven't weighed it but it weighs about as much as the shift knob, maybe less. Its much lighter than I was expecting since its machined from stainless rather than aluminum. :cool::tup:

981 - 1000 of 1193 Posts