IW STi Forum banner

901 - 920 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #901
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Diffuser/Underbody RE-DO

How else are you wanting to mount yours?l
I was considering possibly shifting it upwards so that the top of the cooler is even with the top of the bumper beam, rather than the bottom. Just to get some extra ground clearance since its so far forward. I'm kind of wishing it had brackets to mount to the radiator support, but I would also need to relocate the inlet/outlets off the back side to the bottom.

·
Registered
479 Posts

Been slowly working on parts of the revised underbody setup. Still a long way to go, but I'm almost ready for the new one-piece section (hopefully) to go under the main cabin. Also added some skirting that I think will be pretty sweet. No pics yet since I'm not done, but just wanted to let you know I'm still working :)

also received something in the mail today that I've wanted to put on for a long time...:devil:
I'm looking forward to the updates! Especially the diffuser! I've been working on my rear bumper project that I've wanted to do for a long time. I chopped it and opened up the wheel well. I'll post pictures in my journal once I get the carbon brackets made.

·
Registered
694 Posts

BlueScooby said:
Thats more-or-less my understanding as well. I would even narrow down the "sweet spot" to right around 220°F (IMO).

I picked the "high temp" (200°F instead of the regular 180°F) thermostatic sandwich plate since I daily this car but the oil cooler is supposedly sized to maintain a max of 220°F on the track. Even though I've only done two "events" (neither are up to what a full track day would see) since the oil cooler install, I haven't seen any oil temps above about 205°F so far.
If the sweet spot is about 220 though, wouldn't you want to target 220 as normal vs 220 as max? Or are you thinking more that 220 is the limit you want to hit?

I am aiming to keep my oil temp around 230-240F. My last setup held 240-250F on hot days, which I was fine with considering I use good oil, but I was ultimately limited by the airflow that it was getting. Since I added a turbo, I couldn't just redo the mounting for flow... I needed bigger! Not to mention I moved up several thousand feet in altitude, which makes it even harder to cool
Any thoughts on what you'd consider to be too hot? As in... now it's time to back off (on track) and take a cooldown lap.

Just started getting into track stuff last fall... in my 2nd session of HPDE 1 I started having to back off as my water temps were starting to rise more than I was comfortable with (only on stock gauges). Went home after that day, ordered oil temp gauge and way to mount the AP to monitor water temp more accurately.

I had no idea oil temp fluctuated as much as it does though. Haven't had a chance to get back on full track (I can usually just make fall events for those because of work) but in autox and time attack events I haven't gotten above 220... though those are not really all that hard on the car.
Max oil temp I've seen was about 230 pushing it a bit in the mountains up by Silverton (9000+ ft elevation).

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #905 (Edited)

So about that new diffuser.. :naughty:
All in good time my friend :)

So I have been out on vacation all week so I've been backlogged a bit on the projects. But I did knock out two things today. I installed LED lights in the tail lights and head lights. They look good but it did take some messing with to get them all in the right way... haha

I also finished modifying and reinstalling the OEM plastic undertrays. Removing them a few weeks ago reminded me of how light they are and that anything I replaced them with would be heavier so I figured out how to retain them again. This time around I have riveted aluminum angle to the corners to use as a rivnut retainers so I can bolt a solid sheet under the exhaust. I also riveted some more rubber skirting to the plastic undertrays to guide the airlfow from the front wheels away and isolate the airflow under the car MUCH better. Bonus is they can scrape the ground and stuff and either move out of the way or be ground down a little. No harm either way.

Next up is to fab the replacement underbody panels and move onto the replacement diffuser :tup:

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #906

If the sweet spot is about 220 though, wouldn't you want to target 220 as normal vs 220 as max? Or are you thinking more that 220 is the limit you want to hit?
I was thinking of 220 max, or rather that would be the temperature at (or about) that would be sustained during a track day. Although thinking about it now, I probably should've had my "max temp" above that when I asked about core sizing... oops. haha

·
Registered
479 Posts

Good work on the under tray. I'm considering doing the same sort of thing with the end fences to my diffuser around the bottom of the wheel well. I'd be uber pumped if you re uploaded the pictures of the old diffuser! I'm trying to figure out mounting points and visualize obstacles.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #908

Good work on the under tray. I'm considering doing the same sort of thing with the end fences to my diffuser around the bottom of the wheel well. I'd be uber pumped if you re uploaded the pictures of the old diffuser! I'm trying to figure out mounting points and visualize obstacles.
my old mounting points were basically homemade brackets bolted to wherever I could find a bolt in the chassis. I used the bolt holes for the OEM diffuser with an aluminum bar down to each side and also had small aluminum bars to the sides, one by the muffler and one by the charcoal canister. I don't really like how they worked at all, so I'm going to redo the supports completely. I plan to use wind splitter support bars as the primary means of support. I will probably have to weld on or drill holes to get them to mount where I want them...

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #909

Post of randomness.

so I'm starting to work through relinking my pictures to Flickr (because PB is a whore) and there are a couple of things I'd like mention:

1. Back in Post 164 I talk about having a hard time shifting, and wonder about stiffer engine/trans mounts being a solution. Since then I have upgraded the engine mounts, pitch-stop, trans mount, trans bushings, and shifter bushings (actually not sure about shifter bushing timeline...) and I can safely say after a good chunk of time with these, I have not had any such issues shifting since. Apparently stiffening up the drivetrain was all that was needed :tup:

2. The Continental DWS tires that I am daily'ing are up to about 21K miles now and still have tons of tread. No issues with premature wear or anything so far. I'm pretty sold on these for a daily. They also do great in light snow as well (bonus).

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #910 (Edited)

Pictures are all re-linked.

So I have long felt that a journal with a lot of pictures is a more entertaining journal to follow. So I try to show lots of pics of what I'm working on. For the past week, that has been a huge pain in the butt!!! lol

In other news, Ben (xirallicGDB-F) has a lot of pictures in here that he needs to re-link now ;)

·
Registered
479 Posts

Pictures are all re-linked.
[URL=https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4332/35971096550_090021943f_z.jpg]Image Link
[/url]

So I have long felt that a journal with a lot of pictures is a more entertaining journal to follow. So I try to show lots of pics of what I'm working on. For the past week, that has been a huge pain in the butt!!! lol

In other news, Ben (xirallicGDB-F) has a lot of pictures in here that he needs to re-link now ;)
WOOT! Scrambling to go see what i've been wanting to see :lol:

Also, you're absolutely right! :D I'll work on it over the next week. I have some new stuff I need to add as well.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #912 (Edited)

So here is the new strategy for the underbody panels. By having the exhaust shifted up I am hoping to have all the paneling be able to extend under it as a solid piece. This means that there will only be two pieces/sections of panel between the diffuser and the beatrush undertray in the front.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #913 (Edited)

I worked on the exhaust heat shield as well. I added a piece that wraps around the actual exhaust outlets to effectively extend them past the bumper. I also replaced the aluminum on the bumper with stainless steel. Its in multiple pieces to allow to me to get a much better fit as well. All painted black with VHT paint for that low-key look :)

·
Registered
479 Posts

looking good! Are you at all worried about heat build up from the exhaust (enclosed flat bottom) ? Thats the one thing I'm wondering about and don't have much knowledge on. I did order some titanium sheet that ill be fashioning a new bumper heat shield as well as axle / differential shield from rotating the exhaust up.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts

Neat work. I still prefer single exit fart cannons though.

I guess some people never grow up. Hehe

·
Registered
694 Posts

Exhaust looks sweet like that! I'd love to see a shot of the rear from further back.

·
Registered
936 Posts

So here is the new strategy for the underbody panels. By having the exhaust shifted up I am hoping to have all the paneling be able to extend under it as a solid piece. This means that there will only be two pieces/sections of panel between the diffuser and the beatrush undertray in the front.

[URL=https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4311/35465524084_12c7ce3a52_z.jpg]Image Link
[/url]
Have you thought about how the heat of the exhaust will get out and cooling the rear diff? Considering a flat floor myself but wondering what the approach to this should be.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #918

looking good! Are you at all worried about heat build up from the exhaust (enclosed flat bottom) ? Thats the one thing I'm wondering about and don't have much knowledge on. I did order some titanium sheet that ill be fashioning a new bumper heat shield as well as axle / differential shield from rotating the exhaust up.
I'm not real worried about heat build up. The downpipe is ceramic coated so the heat transfer to the transmission is significantly reduced and I put in a heat shield over the section of the exhaust that goes under the rear diff. Over all it will get a little warmer in there but I'm not expecting any issues with it. There will still be a little airflow down the tunnel from the positive pressure in the engine bay as well.

Neat work. I still prefer single exit fart cannons though.

I guess some people never grow up. Hehe
Haha, gotta work with what Ive got over here :D

Exhaust looks sweet like that! I'd love to see a shot of the rear from further back.
I'll try to grab a better shot for you.

Have you thought about how the heat of the exhaust will get out and cooling the rear diff? Considering a flat floor myself but wondering what the approach to this should be.
I put this heat shield under the rear diff for that very reason. I would, however, actually buy the 1ft length instead though. 2ft was a little long to fit. That should be enough to keep the diff from getting to warm, but if for some reason I have an issue, I'll just upgrade to a diff cover that adds capacity and heat-sink fins :tup:

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #919 (Edited)

Started to do some work on the new underbody panels this weekend (FINALLY!) but I didn't get too far.

To start off, if I am really going to improve my design and, more importantly, the execution, I need to involve a little professional help. I took measurements, came up with this drawing of panels and sent it off to a sheet metal shop to be cut out of 16 gauge aluminum.

*The strakes and endplates are over sized so I can trim them to fit

Brought them home and laid them out for comparison:

The shop also put the diffuser plate on the roller to get a real nice curve on it :D. They also put a couple mild brakes on the end so I can over lap the joint forward of the diffuser seamlessly :tup:

The two panels before the diffuser both have a 1" brake on both sides to act as mini endplates/strakes while also adding some rigidity to the aluminum. I will probably add a couple small reinforcing angles to the back side to minimize any drooping that takes place in the middle. The diffuser end plates and the panel connecting to the diffuser will both get similar skirting to what is on the plastic panels currently as well.

Saturday I spent some time in the garage lining up the long section and drilling the two rear mounting holes and adding rivnuts. I've got some trimming to do on the front side to get around the big "U-brace" and the downpipe, but then I will be able to drill the rest of the holes and mount this beast up. In the meantime however you can see a sneak peak of how beautiful this thing is going to look!

901 - 920 of 1193 Posts