IW STi Forum banner

881 - 900 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #881 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Auto-X (Pics&Vids)

Revised underbody step one: adjust the exhaust. Pre-step one (lol) make some cuts to have room to move the exhaust :)

This was the start to my evening:

Have an appointment for Friday afternoon with a local exhaust shop to lift the whole catback up as much as possible:tup:

·
Registered
2,222 Posts

Me and Darryl still haven't received my diffuser.
;-)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #885 (Edited)

exhaust has been successfully shifted upwards to give some more clearance! Got the muffler up like 6" or so higher so that it is almost even with the bottom of the bumper. This should clear the diffuser with no problems :) Also shifted the rest of the piping upwards and should have enough clearance there as well. Now to decide how Im moving forward from here:cool:

Here you can see some before/after pics of the muffler location. This is definitely the largest shift in the exhaust and will get the muffler out of the diffuser :tup:

Now I need to make a little heatsheild exhaust bezzle to clean up the rear bumper cuts I made...

·
Registered
899 Posts

Looking good Aaron!
Makes me want to lift the exhaust as well to get a proper diffusor under there 😁

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #887 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Diffuser/Underbody RE-DO

built a little heat shield for the bumper since the muffler tips no longer extend past the bumper cover. Not sure how I like it. I will probably remake it out of Stainless or something at least. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Looks good! Maybe make it out of carbon fiber or powdercoat it black to go with the diffuser so it won't stand out as much?

·
Registered
479 Posts

Love it! what exactly was done to the exhaust to move it? I'm trying to find a local titanium welder. My tomei cb is slip fit at the muffler so I bought some new hooks to weld on for the springs. I plan on just rotating it up as high as i can.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #890

Looks good! Maybe make it out of carbon fiber or powdercoat it black to go with the diffuser so it won't stand out as much?
Thats not a bad idea! That will probably look much better :tup:

Love it! what exactly was done to the exhaust to move it? I'm trying to find a local titanium welder. My tomei cb is slip fit at the muffler so I bought some new hooks to weld on for the springs. I plan on just rotating it up as high as i can.
The mid pipe section was basically just raised and new hanger fitted. The axle-back section was a bit more work. The elbows up from the diff were cut to raise the muffler up, with a peice of pipe spliced in, an the bit under the rear crossmember was raised up snug as well.

·
Registered
479 Posts

You inspired me to go see how high I can get my exhaust tucked up. To my surprise I was able to rotate both the midpipe and muffler quite high! I just had to notch the bumper beam a little. The midpipe is almost as high as my diff! Gotta love a slip fit design!

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #893

This looks like an awesome functional and asthetically pleasing (to me) mod. Love it!
Thanks! That's the dream isn't it :D

You inspired me to go see how high I can get my exhaust tucked up. To my surprise I was able to rotate both the midpipe and muffler quite high! I just had to notch the bumper beam a little. The midpipe is almost as high as my diff! Gotta love a slip fit design!

Image Link
Lookin good! Glad I could be of some inspiration ;) I would recommend you put a small heat shield under the diff/rear subframe as I did since you lifted the exhaut up. Check this guy out as an option to traditional heatwrap that won't rust away your piping

·
Registered
479 Posts

Good idea on the heat shielding, I'll look into that! I'm really looking forward to the new diffuser design and fabrication. I'll be following closely ;).

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #896

How's the oil cooler working for you and are your coolant temps back in check? I just got my oil cooler in today and it's pretty large.
oil cooler is doing great! I havent seen the oil get above 200 at all this summer and usually I would hit 220F on the way home from work pretty quickly in the hot months...

I did do one auto-x since Hyperfest and I havent seen those temps moving at all either. I truly think the issue I was having was simply because I forgot to turn off the A/C on that second run :banghead:

I saw your cooler, it looks like a beast :tup: I'm having second thoughts about how I mounted mine, and am wondering if I could mount it differently...

·
Registered
694 Posts

oil cooler is doing great! I havent seen the oil get above 200 at all this summer and usually I would hit 220F on the way home from work pretty quickly in the hot months...

I did do one auto-x since Hyperfest and I havent seen those temps moving at all either. I truly think the issue I was having was simply because I forgot to turn off the A/C on that second run :banghead:

I saw your cooler, it looks like a beast :tup: I'm having second thoughts about how I mounted mine, and am wondering if I could mount it differently...
What are you trying to target for oil temps? Or trying to keep them below?

I've been trying to get a sense on what is too hot... I've been putting together a bunch of thoughts from different threads but no one seems to want to give a pretty firm answer. Even asked Blackstone at one point.

From what I've sorta seen... seems like 200-230 is kinda the sweet spot, with 260 being a fairly definitive "too hot" point.

I usually seem to run about 180 in non-summer months and about 220 during the summer. All of which seems fine, I'm more worried about monitoring during track days.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #898

I've been trying to get a sense on what is too hot... I've been putting together a bunch of thoughts from different threads but no one seems to want to give a pretty firm answer. Even asked Blackstone at one point.

From what I've sorta seen... seems like 200-230 is kinda the sweet spot, with 260 being a fairly definitive "too hot" point.

I usually seem to run about 180 in non-summer months and about 220 during the summer. All of which seems fine, I'm more worried about monitoring during track days.
Thats more-or-less my understanding as well. I would even narrow down the "sweet spot" to right around 220°F (IMO).

I picked the "high temp" (200°F instead of the regular 180°F) thermostatic sandwich plate since I daily this car but the oil cooler is supposedly sized to maintain a max of 220°F on the track. Even though I've only done two "events" (neither are up to what a full track day would see) since the oil cooler install, I haven't seen any oil temps above about 205°F so far.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #899

Been slowly working on parts of the revised underbody setup. Still a long way to go, but I'm almost ready for the new one-piece section (hopefully) to go under the main cabin. Also added some skirting that I think will be pretty sweet. No pics yet since I'm not done, but just wanted to let you know I'm still working :)

also received something in the mail today that I've wanted to put on for a long time...:devil:

·
Super Moderator
8,386 Posts

Good to hear it's been working out for you. So many people undersize oil coolers these days... I wonder why they do them.

How else are you wanting to mount yours?

Thats more-or-less my understanding as well. I would even narrow down the "sweet spot" to right around 220°F (IMO).

I picked the "high temp" (200°F instead of the regular 180°F) thermostatic sandwich plate since I daily this car but the oil cooler is supposedly sized to maintain a max of 220°F on the track. Even though I've only done two "events" (neither are up to what a full track day would see) since the oil cooler install, I haven't seen any oil temps above about 205°F so far.
I am aiming to keep my oil temp around 230-240F. My last setup held 240-250F on hot days, which I was fine with considering I use good oil, but I was ultimately limited by the airflow that it was getting. Since I added a turbo, I couldn't just redo the mounting for flow... I needed bigger! Not to mention I moved up several thousand feet in altitude, which makes it even harder to cool

881 - 900 of 1193 Posts