IW STi Forum banner

841 - 860 of 1193 Posts

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - HyperFest (Pics&Vids)

How'd I not see this! Need to go back and watch it all.

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts

I'll have to come back and look at the other video's later. Just been busy offline and forgot to look back at them.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts

Looks fun and nice driving. Good job not getting distracted by the every so intrusive annoying instructor.

OMG the instructors in US are soooo freaking annoying, brake brake brake... left, right blah blah blah...

They guys mouth was moving non stop. I would take my glove off and shove it in his mouth.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts

Ps, did you notice any differences with the vents?

Front end grip? Brake cooling?

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #847

Looks fun and nice driving. Good job not getting distracted by the every so intrusive annoying instructor.

OMG the instructors in US are soooo freaking annoying, brake brake brake... left, right blah blah blah...

They guys mouth was moving non stop. I would take my glove off and shove it in his mouth.
ROFL!

Yeah he was really chatty, in and out of the car... :lol:

It didn't bother me though, between trying to learn a new course and my new setup all in ~15 minutes with traffic, his continual reminders of where to brake/turn-in was generally helpful. I did sort of tune him out in places that I felt I knew where my markers were though.

Honestly this event seemed a lot less like a regular track-day that I thought it would be... There were way to many random people that just showed up for cheap laps. The fact that there were multiple cars going slowly around the track was ridiculous. I don't think I'll bother with this event again other than spectating the other stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #848 (Edited)

Ps, did you notice any differences with the vents?

Front end grip? Brake cooling?
It's hard to say what the difference was since I did so many things to the car, but I do think they were all working the way they were designed to. I was still getting used to the new setup so I wasn't able to REALLY push the car but I seemed to have huge levels of front grip.

For the fender vents, I don't think the corners were fast enough here to really take advantage of them but I never felt like the front was light or drifting at all so who knows... :notsure:

The brake cooling definitely was working. These brakes were worked WAY harder than the Ferodos at the last track day and the temps didn't get out of control at all. I do think my front brembos got a shade darker though :lol:

Tires and Brakes felt very consistent throughout the event :tup:

You can see from this pic that the first temperature marking was burnt off but the next two are still perfectly fine. In my mind I'm thinking I would've hit the second temp marker without the brake cooling.

This is DBA's temp marking chart:

I know the color on the middle stripe looks more like the yellow in this picture than the orange, but I'm pretty sure thats how that paint stripe looked originally.

·
Registered
479 Posts

Off topic but did your powdercoater have to do anything special with the wheels? Weds told me the metal is some sort of strange consistency and the silver they come in was a special paint for the wheels?

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #851

Off topic but did your powdercoater have to do anything special with the wheels? Weds told me the metal is some sort of strange consistency and the silver they come in was a special paint for the wheels?
no idea... I just dropped them off and then picked them up when they were done. That sounds really sketchy, I would hate to have damaged them :notsure:

·
Registered
2,869 Posts

I happened to be at that hyper fest thing ass well. Saw you making some laps, spot on.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #854

I happened to be at that hyper fest thing ass well. Saw you making some laps, spot on.
Thanks! I wish I had some more time saturday to just hang out. There was a ton of people there that I knew and would've like to be able to hang out a bit before having to leave :(

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #856 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Auto-X (Pics&Vids)

Hit up the local Auto-X saturday! It was fun, and another good chance to get used to the new setup a bit. Probably wasn't "competitive" since there was a ton of miatas and other light cars *shrug*. Will have to wait to see what the results are. In the mean time heres a pic of me waiting for my second run :)

Working on uploading the vids this morning.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #857

Got the vids uploaded. I had 4 runs, but I forgot to record the first one... I should know the times in a day or two, hopefully. I was the only car running in FP, so I was both first and last in my class...haha No idea how I stacked up in "raw" times but probably not well. I think My best time was 45 some thing, but the fast guys were down around 43 or less seconds. I know I left some time on the table at the hairpin/pivot each lap (particularly the exit), but most of the rest of the laps felt pretty decent. Either way, had tons of fun :)

Oh, and fun fact, the IC sprayer can empty the tank in ~5 minutes of continuous running... haha

So starting with run 2:
Left the car in 2nd gear at the hairpin/pivot and had no power on exit...

Run 3:
Tried to shift into 1st gear at the hairpin/pivot and hit third instead (even worse)...

Run 4:
Finally hit 1st gear coming out of the hairpin/pivot and felt much quicker, but the timing board at the end showed 7.xxx which is obviously wrong. Not sure if they actually got my time or not on that run.

FYI, the weird nails-on-chalkboard kind of scratchy noises you hear is apparently the camera rubbing on the face shield... got a nice little scratch on there now :(

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #858

Results are in, apparently they only got my first two times... :(

Even so, i still managed 37 out of 115 raw time. PAX was literally double that tho :lol:

1.5 less seconds would've put me at about tenth place though. Its too bad the last run wasn't recorded, I bet I was close to that...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

Nice vids and updates man! Good to see the car getting some track time and the new setup is working well. FACK.....those wheels....awesome.

·
Registered
694 Posts

Results are in, apparently they only got my first two times... :(

Even so, i still managed 37 out of 115 raw time. PAX was literally double that tho :lol:

1.5 less seconds would've put me at about tenth place though. Its too bad the last run wasn't recorded, I bet I was close to that...

That's annoying they lost your times... normally if the timing doesn't work you should get a re-run.

Nice work though! I bet PAX on FP is pretty insane :lol:

841 - 860 of 1193 Posts