IW STi Forum banner

801 - 820 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #802
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - WedsSport Wheels are HERE!

yeah, i saw those. they're a pretty good option. I don't think i will have room for the transformer mounted behind it like that however... my fuseblock/wiring takes up a lot of that room.

·
Registered
899 Posts

True. Clearance might be an issue for you.

I guess I scrap the switches on on mine and put it there instead of the four switches as they are still not wired up and I'm too chicken to do so as I don't want to fry another ECU :rofl:

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #806

lol

The guy actually went old-school on me. He carefully removed the flares then proceeded to use a heat gun and a mallet to beat out the fenders. First he flattened the inner lip, then slowly "pulled" them via the mallet. It sounds terrible, but he did a great job, and he didnt have to remove any of the spot welds or anything. :tup:

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #807

Trying to hit up Hyperfest at VIR on the 20th for a couple sessions. But I'm worried they won't allow me to run a fixed-back bucket seat without a rollbar... which is probably going to become a recurring problem :(. So either I need to get that bolt-in autopower roll bar (not sure how easily this is removable) or probably swap my Recaro Pole Position for a reclineable seat...

What do you guys think? Any experience with either of those?

·
Registered
368 Posts

Trying to hit up Hyperfest at VIR on the 20th for a couple sessions. But I'm worried they won't allow me to run a fixed-back bucket seat without a rollbar... which is probably going to become a recurring problem :(. So either I need to get that bolt-in autopower roll bar (not sure how easily this is removable) or probably swap my Recaro Pole Position for a reclineable seat...

What do you guys think? Any experience with either of those?
What does a fixed back have to do with needing a roll bar? Or are you referring to using a harness?

You can still use your 3 point with your PP (I got the ABE version to make it more streetable), if you run the belts through the holes properly it should be no issue (although difficult to buckle unless you have a buckle extension.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #809

What does a fixed back have to do with needing a roll bar? Or are you referring to using a harness?

You can still use your 3 point with your PP (I got the ABE version to make it more streetable), if you run the belts through the holes properly it should be no issue (although difficult to buckle unless you have a buckle extension.

My understanding is that it is typical of clubs to require a rollbar in a car with a fixedback seat. Although Im not sure if it is more the roll protection or harnesses that matter. Ive been under the impression a fixed back and harnesses make it harder to escape a rollover situation if there isnt a roll bar.

Although if they just want me to add a harness thats easy enough... KB has a nice bar that i would pick up.

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts

Looking great there with the wheels/tires, USB, gurney flap and all the good stuff. Need side pictures with the wheels and tires on.

No rules listed for the event? Seems to me they would cover what is allowed as far as seat/harness etc.

·
Registered
368 Posts

My understanding is that it is typical of clubs to require a rollbar in a car with a fixedback seat. Although Im not sure if it is more the roll protection or harnesses that matter. Ive been under the impression a fixed back and harnesses make it harder to escape a rollover situation if there isnt a roll bar.

Although if they just want me to add a harness thats easy enough... KB has a nice bar that i would pick up.
I'm pretty sure it's for harness use. In a fixed back with a 3 point you can still flop forward in a roll to escape crushing from the roof. Most fixed seats do not accommodate 3 points very well though, so it can be tough to make it work. Having belts over the side bolsters would be incorrect and dangerous in a crash as well.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

Many events won't allow a harness bar. Too many failures.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #813

Looking great there with the wheels/tires, USB, gurney flap and all the good stuff. Need side pictures with the wheels and tires on.

No rules listed for the event? Seems to me they would cover what is allowed as far as seat/harness etc.
Apparently the track sessions are put on by NASA, whom I have emailed already. Here is the response I have recieved so far:
"I sent your question to our tech chiefs.......

CCR 11.4.8

"Stock / OEM belts should not be worn with hard shell, fixed back racing seats. Those seats should have a racing harness."

So, this means you will either need to put in stock seats or buy a rollbar and harnesses."

It doesn't look good for the seat, but theres always a possibility the tech cheif will give me a pass...:notsure:

I'm pretty sure it's for harness use. In a fixed back with a 3 point you can still flop forward in a roll to escape crushing from the roof. Most fixed seats do not accommodate 3 points very well though, so it can be tough to make it work. Having belts over the side bolsters would be incorrect and dangerous in a crash as well.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Yeah that make sense. I would think that if you can get the 3pt on correctly you'd still be fine then, but who knows.

Many events won't allow a harness bar. Too many failures.
Normally this wouldn't surprise me, but from what I've read the KB unit is legit... But I'm not sure how you would convince anyone of that though.

·
Registered
899 Posts

How about a proper harness bar which is mounted on the strut towers?
So instead of your strut brace in the trunk, you have the strut brace where the rear seats are.
Use the proper materials & thickness and you should be good.
Extend it to be a Triangle Brace and you stiff up the rear at the same time.

Construct it properly and make it removeable and you could easily switch back to your back seats.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #815

How about a proper harness bar which is mounted on the strut towers?
So instead of your strut brace in the trunk, you have the strut brace where the rear seats are.
Use the proper materials & thickness and you should be good.
Extend it to be a Triangle Brace and you stiff up the rear at the same time.

Construct it properly and make it removeable and you could easily switch back to your back seats.

Image Link

Image Link
Interesting. Is that unit something you can buy, or do you have to fab one up? Is there a regulation out there somewhere that I can build this thing to so that it would be accepted as legit? Or perhaps a manufactured one that has some sort of recognized homolgation?

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #816

as much as I love my Recaro, it seems the simplest (in many ways) answer is to swap it out for a good reclineable seat... The problem is most of them are trash... The Bride units are beautiful but way too expensive. Sparco has one or two seats that look decent, but like my previous sparco bucket, may not fit. Corbeau has a couple decent looking ones but there are mixed reviews on their quality. Cobra has a nice seat but for that price I'd get the Bride...

Used Evo seats seem to be the winning option, but those are much harder to come by and unless I can get a pair with airbags, I'm only going to touch the drivers seat... (and most are sold in pairs)

ughhh

·
Registered
899 Posts

Interesting. Is that unit something you can buy, or do you have to fab one up? Is there a regulation out there somewhere that I can build this thing to so that it would be accepted as legit? Or perhaps a manufactured one that has some sort of recognized homolgation?
This is a custom made solution from a Friend. Is using it in his two Trackcars for years and never had a Problem with Tech Inspection at a Trackday.

I guess a Cage Builder could tell you more about the proper material to use and certified welds and stuff.

There is no such part from any manufacturer as far as I know. Yet it's such a simple solution and would be way better than those Harness Bars.

I don't know about regulations for the Classes you run in.
Since I'm just doing Trackdays. I know it's not road legal over here.
For Time Attack over here it would be legal to run in the Club 4WD Class.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #818

Yeah, this would just be for open trackdays (HPDE). The rules are different for each club. NASA is so far the main club I know that has language in their rules regarding the use of a fixed back. The local club so far doesn't have any specific language (emailed for further clarification), and another club I messaged last night will allow the fixed back. I may just have to avoid the NASA based events :(

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #819

Looks like I'm ok for the local club too! This might work out afterall... haha

Now to see what they say about Hyperfest... man I hope I dont have to put the stocker in.

801 - 820 of 1193 Posts