IW STi Forum banner

61 - 80 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Building an Intake Air Box

It is finished! Yesterday I drove to charlotte and back so I plugged my access port in to monitor the intake temp on the drive. I only had the outside air temp from my dashboard, but I'm hoping the calibration on the two sensors is similar since they're both being read out in the ECU...

I am pleased to report that throughout the drive (at highway speeds) I was consistently between 0-3 degrees above ambient temperature (depending on traffic/clean air/etc). There was a large portion of time where i didn't have any cars in front of me and maintained intake temperature AT the ambient temperature displayed on the dash! Thats a win folks. (FYI - this intake w/o the box or bumper ram air, is reported to run at around 25-30 degrees above ambient while driving)

**please disregard the duct-tape in this picture. I have the OEM cover for that hole, but I dropped in the fender and havent gotten it back out yet...

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Intake Air Box complete - PICs!

Well sports fans, my radiator has sprung a leak. I have a nice 3-4" crack along the top center-ish of the radiator. Just ordered a Mishimoto Aluminum as the replacement.

And this week I should be getting my A/C suctioned/recharged, my adjustable rear lateral links and roll center kit installed (with an alignment), and possibly my shifter bushings (if i have time)... busybusybusy

·
Registered
62 Posts

Well sports fans, my radiator has sprung a leak. I have a nice 3-4" crack along the top center-ish of the radiator. Just ordered a Mishimoto Aluminum as the replacement.

And this week I should be getting my A/C suctioned/recharged, my adjustable rear lateral links and roll center kit installed (with an alignment), and possibly my shifter bushings (if i have time)... busybusybusy
Id LOVE to see the results on this. Cant wait, particularly the radiator and roll center kit. :)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #65

Thanks, as far as the radiator goes, I'm most excited about being leak free again and not having to worry about the OEM plastic radiator ends failing again... The slight bump in cooling capacity, and engine bay "bling" factor are pretty cool too :)

I am really excited about the suspension bits and shifter bushings though! I'm excited to see the handling improvement from the roll center kit; and if the shifter bushings do to my car what they did to my buddies LGT, my shifter is going to feel amazing!

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #66

Ripped out the old radiator last night. Wasn't very difficult, but it is quite messy.

New radiator is due to arrive today. Kinda frustrated with UPS though. It arrived in Greensboro (nearby city) Friday afternoon. I called to see if I could pick it up and was told that "it is in transit" and there's nothing they can do for me to pick it up sooner. Well it left their warehouse this morning. It was sitting there for 3 days and they cant let me go pick it up?!?! pisses me off...

anyhow, i should be getting it installed tonight.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Mishimoto Radiator Installed - Pics! - 1/6/14

New radiator is in! It was actually a fairly easy swap, just took a little time to pull the old, flush the block, and install the new. The only problem is I ran out of fluid before burping the system so I need to get more tomorrow. For now, enjoy the pics!

Old radiator is out!

Old vs New

Fans test fitted. Install was done after the radiator was in the car. Supplied mounting bolts made fan bolt up a piece of cake.

DONE!

·
Registered
21 Posts

Nice Mishimoto! The exact same thing happened to me two weeks ago. Looks like you did a much better job at triming the hoses...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
BlueScooby's 06 STI - Mishimoto Radiator Installed - Pics! - 1/6/14

Nice Mishimoto! The exact same thing happened to me two weeks ago. Looks like you did a much better job at triming the hoses...:rolleyes:

Actually I didn't have to trim either hose... I bought new silicone mishimoto hoses, and they managed to fit without trimming, although they're on there tight... (And no rubbing!)

·
pwn n00bs
18,208 Posts

the only thing i suggest and i may not be completely correct, is to swap that mishimoto cap to an OEM subaru. that cap is rated a bit higher.

we literally just put this rad into an 09 wrx and it's the first thing i noticed. we plan on getting a subaru approved cap.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)

the only thing i suggest and i may not be completely correct, is to swap that mishimoto cap to an OEM subaru. that cap is rated a bit higher.

we literally just put this rad into an 09 wrx and it's the first thing i noticed. we plan on getting a subaru approved cap.

I don't know about the WRX, but the OEM STI rad cap on my car is rated for 137kpa (1.37 Bar) and the mishimoto cap is 1.3 bar. So it's actually a hair less pressure on my car... But the rad has a higher cooling capacity, so that shouldn't be an issue.

EDIT: Local shop advised me that the Mishimoto Radiator caps are prone to failure after a year or so. OEM cap is back on!

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #73

So the A/C is recharged, Roll Center Kit and Adjustable Rear Lateral Links are installed, and alignment done with -1.5* camber on all 4 corners. :)

Only problem is since i bumped the power steering line during the radiator install, I need a new O-ring and my steering is sucking in air and whining like crazy... New O-ring coming in monday. Until then no harsh steering or testing out new suspension bits... :(

Shifter bushing install still to come

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #74

well the shop trimmed my upper rad hose yesterday because they said I didnt have enough clearance... I cleaned up coolant residue last night, assuming it was from them trimming the hose and not cleaning up after themselves.

now this morning I have more coolant sprayed on my engine. awesome. guess where I'm headed back to today...

·
Registered
21 Posts

I knew that install went to smooth for you! :) PS pump went ape shit on me also, I had to replace the clamps along with the o-ring to get mine straightened out. Maybe have t-bolts put on the rad hoses if it's not to late, while they are fixing the leak. You'll get it figured out though! Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #76

I knew that install went to smooth for you! :) PS pump went ape shit on me also, I had to replace the clamps along with the o-ring to get mine straightened out. Maybe have t-bolts put on the rad hoses if it's not to late, while they are fixing the leak. You'll get it figured out though! Best of luck.

Ha, yeah the upper rad hose clamp was my issue. Replaced both and no more leaks. The shop will be getting more O-rings in Monday for the PS pump, then I'm going to get that taken care of. Then I can finally start carving some corners and test out the improved suspension setup!

And one of these days, shifter bushings will go in...

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #77

New P/S pump O-ring and new fluid! Car is good again! Now, at the advise of the local subie shop, I'm considering a P/S cooler. Sounds like a cheap but effective mod to promote pump/rack/oil longevity...

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #78

The first real snow since I bought my STI is here!!! I'm going to try to get out tomorrow sometime, but its going to be sketchy since I only have summer tires...

·
Registered
46 Posts

i just read through your journal, it nice to see your passion. i have version 8 jdm seats in my 06 sti and i feel your pain on swapping parts. i was able to get height adjustment on both seats, swap the bladder in the pass seat, keep my usdm driver rails without having to buy anything extra. they are tight and i love them. i have to take my wallet out when i sit down theyre so snug. keep up the good work!

also be really careful with summer tires, youll get decent traction under acceleration but braking is terrible and youll have crazy understeer. i stopped driving my sti when it snows here in oregon which is somewhat often on summer tires.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #80

i just read through your journal, it nice to see your passion. i have version 8 jdm seats in my 06 sti and i feel your pain on swapping parts. i was able to get height adjustment on both seats, swap the bladder in the pass seat, keep my usdm driver rails without having to buy anything extra. they are tight and i love them. i have to take my wallet out when i sit down theyre so snug. keep up the good work!

also be really careful with summer tires, youll get decent traction under acceleration but braking is terrible and youll have crazy understeer. i stopped driving my sti when it snows here in oregon which is somewhat often on summer tires.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm riding on the JDM pass seat base and just living with being a little higher. It's not that bad, and I like the more snug base. I just wish there was a way to lower it an inch or two...

Yeah, I want to go driving through the snow so bad! But snow driving isn't worth a busted car. I'll probably just stay in :(

I want to find a cheap winter setup to have on tap for days like today. Even if we only get one or two a year...

61 - 80 of 1193 Posts