IW STi Forum banner

721 - 740 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #722 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Building Oil Cooler Setup

It has begun! Test fitting the new oil cooler core. It hangs a little lower than I wanted but it will still have a little clearance above the bottom panels so it should be okay. Gotta notch out some more room for the lines in the beatrush undertray too.

Can I just say bolting this onto the crash bar was way harder than I thought it would be. Almost all the bolts I attempted to use either stripped or the hole stripped and wouldn't hold them... Wound up getting progressively bigger bolts until I finally got it to hold. I still am not thrilled with it but the cooler is rigid. Threw on some loctite for good measure as well.

Also hung the tow strap I bought like a year ago. Had to source a M14x1.5 bolt 100mm long. Now I wont have to install a tow hook at the track, I can just pull this through the bumper :)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #723 (Edited)

Heres a couple more with the bumper on. You can see I've got a good 2-3" of clearance from the "bottom" of the car, but that is IT... And I know this is weak, but I wish Fluidyne would've painted their logo the right way up... :rofl:

You can even see my rough marking for notching the undertray for the cooler lines.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #724 (Edited)

Random bumper fitmet discovery:

I'm not sure if this applies to only hawkeyes or if other model GD bumpers/rad supports have this. But for a while now I've felt like my bumper sags a bit and isn't quite being held properly despite it seemingly being supported every possible way that Subaru intended for it to be.

The corners of the headlight brackets have a small hole with nothing attached, and a matching hole on the back side of the bumper. It looks as if you push one of those pop-rivets through the bumper into the headlight bracket but only if you removed the 3-piece center grill first, which seems rather hard to do for just removing/installing the bumper cover. So i decided to try and thread a small bolt through the back side of the bracket, facing the bumper to see if they lined up and if it made any difference.

Forgot to take any pictures of this, because I'm an idiot, but I did find this picture on google that shows the hole on the brackets:

All of that to say, the bumper appears to fit much better now. It is a little more difficult to remove/install but now the gap to the headlights is much smaller, and the corners by the headlights that were popping out, are now sitting flush with the fender on their own without the springloaded bolt creation I came up with.

·
Registered
827 Posts

Not sure on other GDs, but yeah, those are supposed to have pop pins in them to hold the bumper up better. Probably the main reason I despise pulling my bumper off. It was so much easier on my '11 I had before. That bumper came off in just a few minutes IIRC, this one not so much, and putting it back on is even slower. ☹

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #726

I just don't understand how you're supposed to be able to remove them though? You can't get the center grille off from the front, but you can't get to those pins from the back either... :shrug:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts

The bumper on my '05 sags a lot too, but that probably has a lot to do w/ my FMIC and no bumper support. Do you have an approx length of the bolt needed to reach the bumper? Seems like it'd hafta be pretty damn long, but if it helps with the sag... :tup:

Tow strap and oil cooler looking beautiful, good work! :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #728

The bumper on my '05 sags a lot too, but that probably has a lot to do w/ my FMIC and no bumper support. Do you have an approx length of the bolt needed to reach the bumper? Seems like it'd hafta be pretty damn long, but if it helps with the sag... :tup:

Tow strap and oil cooler looking beautiful, good work! :cool:
The bolts I used for those little holes were only an inch long since he bumper basically butts up against them right there with no gap.

Thanks! I'm excited to be moving towards being more track ready this season :tup:

·
Registered
134 Posts

That hole is just another mounting bracket for the headlight on the 04-05's, which makes taking the headlight out without taking off the bumper quite aggravating...

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #730 (Edited)

New mocal plate, proper fittings, a wrench, some thread sealant and episode 12 of The Grand Tour. :)

Much better! Now to build the oil lines and install :)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #731 (Edited)

So Ive got a question for you guys with experience building AN fitting oil lines. (I purchased the mocal brand fittings if that matters...)

I put the ends on the first hose tonight, put the pressure tester on, filled it to 50ish psi and dunked it in water.

The female ends on both sides of the hose are weeping air through the little weep hole and through the threads of one of them. I tried tightening the pressure test fittings which helped but they're still leaking... Im afraid if I tighten them down too much more i will damage them (since they're aluminum).

The end of the fittings that the hose terminates in, is not leaking tho, so thats good.

So what am i doing wrong? Do I need to just muscle up on this thing? Do I need to add teflon tape? Are the fittings defective?

See the bubble forming on the weep hole:

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #732

Also, this is obviously my first time doing this so Im probably doing something wrong that anyone with experience knows better...

Ultimately I was planning to test to at least 100 psi, since thats what my oil pressure gauge reads on cold start. Is that enough? Too much? Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #734

Moar tight.
ok cool. do you know of a torque value or anything to shoot for, or just wrench on it as hard as you can? They're pretty tight now, so its going to be hard to get them much tighter without putting the ends in a vise and hulking-up... :)

·
Super Moderator
8,388 Posts

I've always done it by feel, but haven't had a leak yet. Use good judgment though... If it's really tight, maybe look at other ways that could leak air. It's supposed to seal on the 37 degree flare which should keep any air/liquid from reaching the point of that pin hole.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #736

Yeah, i figured it was supposed to seal on that flange, which is why I was concerned. :(

I'll try to get it mounted in a vise tonight to tighten. since it wasn't hard mounted, I may not have tightened it as much as I think I have...

·
Registered
368 Posts

Yeah, i figured it was supposed to seal on that flange, which is why I was concerned. :(

I'll try to get it mounted in a vise tonight to tighten. since it wasn't hard mounted, I may not have tightened it as much as I think I have...
You should be able to get it perfectly tight with the AN wrenches. You shouldn't need a vise. Tighten it on the car, then just check for leaks on startup and if it leaks give it another 1/8 turn

·
Super Moderator
8,388 Posts

Yeah, I've never had to use a bench vise to get them tight and I've never used AN wrenches, just regular wrenches and crescent wrenches.

Also, I just messaged Fluidyne to have them build me a version of their DB-30618 to mount on the radiator of my V-mount on the S2000. Looking forward to having a Fluidyne again!

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #739

Yeah, I've never had to use a bench vise to get them tight and I've never used AN wrenches, just regular wrenches and crescent wrenches.

Also, I just messaged Fluidyne to have them build me a version of their DB-30618 to mount on the radiator of my V-mount on the S2000. Looking forward to having a Fluidyne again!
The only reason for the vise is to have one side rigidly mounted. Currently I have a wrench in each hand and nothing to mount the fitting to, so even though it feels like I'm wrenching hard I'm probably applying half the torque I think I am because I'm both supporting and tightening at the same time. So to fix that mounting the hose in the vise should give me a better feel for how tight it really is... hopefully

Thats awesome, they are super easy to work with and the fact that they can build whatever you want is pretty sweet!

·
Registered
339 Posts

Love your break set-up! I must do this to mine! I have the ducts clear. Im ready... next mod :)

721 - 740 of 1193 Posts