IW STi Forum banner

641 - 660 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #641 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Fender Vents getting painted

Also, and this is random; but I finally made a more legit cover for the lower bumper opening. 1/16" ABS sheet with rubber trim :tup:

Car comes up to temp quicker on cold mornings and the PS cooler is no longer "sub cooling" the PS fluid... haha

(This is a winter only cover)

Theoretically this will also reduce drag a little... but probably not very much.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts

Nice Job!
I don't see the fender vents on their website though. Is this a test/ prototype model?

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #643

Nice Job!
I don't see the fender vents on their website though. Is this a test/ prototype model?

When I was emailing Singular they said I got one of the few remaining sets for the first batch so I assumed they would be rolling out full on production...

You should probably shoot them an email, they have been really responsive to me so far. Hopefully they can find you a set :tup:

·
Registered
2,222 Posts

Will do.

Thanks mate.

Ventilating the air out of the front plus two canards will be my main strategy for more aero grip in 2017.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #645 (Edited)

Sounds good to me! You're gonna be pulling all the G's in the corners :D

Finished the drivers side, and installed the TIC Fender braces, then went for a test drive.

BTW, I was not expecting great things from those braces, but the difference in front end response on turn-in is actually VERY noticeable! Apparently there is a lot more flex in that part of the chassis than I thought...

And here's some more pictures of the whole car. Btw, the roads were wet but not raining, but look how much water came up through the louvers! Even the back side of the fins are soaking wet. A nice little confirmation of airflow.

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts

Sent packing......something......anything.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #652
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Fender Vents Installed (WITH PICS)

Car looks great ! Really enjoying this thread. Thanks for doing so many updates.
Thanks! I think I'm having as much fun doing mods as actually driving... which is probably not healthy for my wallet. :lol:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

haha, I know. I stood there holding the angle grinder for 30 seconds like, am I really doing this? I'm real glad I didnt F**K it up.. haha
I had an existential crisis right before I ground down the lip on the rear quarter panels to gain some room for wider tires, and that's not even a big deal. I don't know if I would have survived cutting what you did :lol:

Looks great and the water on the backside of the fins says air is flowing!

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #655

Haha, I know what you mean. I did at least have the history of already cutting into my hood, so I had the comfort of this not being the first time. Cutting into my hood was nerve-racking for sure though! And now I kinda want the Singular Motorsports hood louvers to match the fenders... lol

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #656 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Adding switches #becauseracecar

next little project, in the land of I can't leave well-enough alone: switches! Need moar racecare? Add switches!

Bought a 6"x6" carbon fiber panel to use for the switch plate/box and 8 basic on/off switches. Planning on having one for fuel pump cutoff, one for intercooler sprayer (forcing to stay on), and a couple for ancillary power switches (gauges/radio/etc). I have 3 more open slots though (IIRC) that I'm not sure what to use for, but will run the wires for them anyway. Right now I plan to use "ejector seat" and "machine guns" as two of the open place holders... hahaha (I'm open to suggestions for useful things to add to this BTW)

Anyway, heres some progress pics. Still got some cleaning up to do, then figure out the mounting.

(ignore the random order of the lettering on the panel... haha. I labeled the wires before I started connecting them so the order is off. learned from that on the second set (numbers on the bottom)).

·
Registered
449 Posts

Ignition?

Oh, and you need one so that when pressed your taxes are done.
Or, one that when pressed puts duck tape over passengers mouth.
or, one that electrocutes anyone touching your tunes when jamming out to Taylor Swift.....

lol

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #659

Ignition?

Oh, and you need one so that when pressed your taxes are done.
Or, one that when pressed puts duck tape over passengers mouth.
or, one that electrocutes anyone touching your tunes when jamming out to Taylor Swift.....

lol
Haha, I though about ignition/starter, but I don't really want to mess with those. Besides, they would not be an "added" function just a "neat" thing... As neat as a push button starter would be, its just relocating an existing function. And those two also are probably to high a current load to run through these cheap little switches.

641 - 660 of 1193 Posts