IW STi Forum banner

581 - 600 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #581
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Turbo Blanket Installed

RE: Turbo Blanket effectiveness

So I have now had the opportunity to drive with and without a turbo-blanket and monitoring intake air temps on the throttle-body side of the intercooler. It certainly makes a big difference!

Before the blanket, cruising down the highway would usually yield intake temps 15deg above ambient, sometimes as low as 10deg above. WITH the blanket, I am regularly seeing 5deg above ambient.

But the biggest difference is not the numbers, its how stable they are while also being cooler. Before, i would see IATs jump 50deg at an average stop light and barely come down before the next. Now, im only seeing around a 10 degree rise at stoplights and the temps come back down much quicker! So instead of averaging 25-30deg above ambient around town, its more like 10-15 average.

All in all I would highly recommend the turbo blanket, especially now that Ive been able to see the ACTUAL difference they make! I honestly did not think the IATs would be effected this dramatically, but Im certainly not complaining:tup:

·
Registered
101 Posts

Between the turbo blanket and wrapping your exhaust pipes it make a huge difference in under-hood temps, which results in lower operating temps overall which = power/reliability!

Sometimes its the little things that make the noticeable difference, I personally went with the DEI brand but Moore Performance makes super good stuff too, I use their front camber plates =)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

I'm curious to see what the difference in temps I will see when I run a blanket with a heatshield. But then again I also have a thermal coating on my hot side. Nice to see some results though Blue!

·
Registered
899 Posts

Yeah, I kinda wanna give a Turbo Blanket a try now.
Especially since nothing is coated on my turbo.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #586

I'm curious to see what the difference in temps I will see when I run a blanket with a heatshield. But then again I also have a thermal coating on my hot side. Nice to see some results though Blue!
I would imagine running them both is better than not, but since the radiant heat should be getting partially soaked up by the blanket, I doubt it would do a whole lot more... but hey it doesnt hurt!

Yeah, I kinda wanna give a Turbo Blanket a try now.
Especially since nothing is coated on my turbo.
its all about that heat managment ;) you should totally grab one :tup;

Haha, all this talk about them has me shopping for them too now. lol.
haha, when its good stuff everybody wants it!

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #592 (Edited)

Fender Vents? :)
dingdingding, we have a winner!

Singular Motorsports just finished developing these and I somehow wound up being able to buy a set... :D This is the only legit fender vent for our car that I know of that you can just purchase which is really cool. I've been wanting to figure something out to relieve the high pressure air off the front wheels for a while but to no avail. These are the answer!

I havent decided if I'm going to paint-match them or just paint them black yet, but I'm excited about them either way! Now to figure out when I can install them...haha

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts

Cut away...........hope it solves your issue. I vote body color.

·
Registered
101 Posts

I wonder if this would be legal in my AutoX Class, we can replace fenders and modify them so it should be ok?

I actually guessed Singular Motorsports, but then I remembered they didn't make fender vents but damn I guess they do!

The other challenge is right now I park outside, so that's a thing.

·
Registered
899 Posts

If you're allowed to modify fenders you should be ok I'd say, Krang.

I wonder how this will turn out in terms of look.
Bet it won't be a huge deal to make them functional.

Can you turn them so the pointy end on the right side is on the bottom?

I kinda want louvers on the boxes of the fenders. That would be awesome :D
Like this (Hope you're ok with stealing your picture, Aaron :) ):

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #596
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Fender Vents are next!

Cut away...........hope it solves your issue. I vote body color.
not a big fan of cutting into the body are we? haha I get it, although I'm much less worried about it after my hood vents install... Body color probably is the way to go I'm thinking.

I wonder if this would be legal in my AutoX Class, we can replace fenders and modify them so it should be ok?

I actually guessed Singular Motorsports, but then I remembered they didn't make fender vents but damn I guess they do!

The other challenge is right now I park outside, so that's a thing.
That would be pretty sweet if you could add them in your class! It will certainly be unique given that these aren't even up on their website yet.

Supposedly most of this first batch went to race cars they sponsor except for a few. I had contacted them a month or two ago after seeing their hood vents and inquired about fender vents. They said they didn't have anything but would look to see if they had something I could work with. Then a couple weeks later they said they had enough interest to develop a legit set and I could purchase one if I wanted... so the timing was perfect! :tup:

If you're allowed to modify fenders you should be ok I'd say, Krang.

I wonder how this will turn out in terms of look.
Bet it won't be a huge deal to make them functional.

Can you turn them so the pointy end on the right side is on the bottom?

I kinda want louvers on the boxes of the fenders. That would be awesome :D
Like this (Hope you're ok with stealing your picture, Aaron :) ):
[URL=https://abload.de/img/unbenannta4ugx.png]Image Link
[/url]
These aren't going to be something I will be able to modify like that But I like where you're heads at. I too have been interested in the boxed out part of the fender, but unfortunatly that is a much more complex shape with much less surface area so I just dont see that sort of thing happening very easily. Your best bet would be to find someone VERY good at metal work who can custom cut slits, bend them up, and angle the two sides together to make one seamless, curved set of vents. It would probably be super expensive to fabricate though :(

Before I cut the fender, Ive got to figure out how I'm going to modify the fender liner. i don't want to remove the whole thing, so I'll probably just cut a huge hole in the top and add some kind of mesh screen to keep the big stuff out... we'll see

either way, I'm pretty excited:cool:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Fender Vents are Next!

I look forward to installed photos! I recently got my hood louvers installed and these might make my custom fender liner project easier.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #598

I like those a lot! Im curious about them on a DD in terms of rain and security though... thats the main reason I didn't grab their hood louvers...

·
Registered
479 Posts

I hear ya. I don't daily mine anymore but the rain isn't an issue thus far. Doesn't really get on any important electrical stuff that I can tell and the lid on the intake box protects that..I also have to imagine the air escaping out of the hood while moving plus engine heat would keep incoming moisture to a minimum.. security on the other hand.. :notsure:

Any who, I vote paint match too since you did the hood louvers to match.. Now hack up them fenders already!

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #600

random question; can one of you Auto-X pros help me figure out where I'm classed at now? Last time I went as "SM" but i'm having trouble finding out if I still fit that class... I probably not even fast enough to be competitive in that class anyway. :shrug:

581 - 600 of 1193 Posts