IW STi Forum banner

561 - 580 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #562
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - EWG routed back into DP

Thanks!

Also, being that I'm an engineer, I really wanted the EWG piping to enter the down pipe at an angle to reduce the turbulance on entry, and Jordan did a really good job of cutting the proper hole and fitting the pipe to the DP. I'm really impressed with the way it came out :tup:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

Yeah, I absolutely agree about the angle/avoiding turbulence. If(when) I decide to route mine back in, I'd do something similar to yours.

·
Registered
584 Posts

after everyone went to bed I finally decided to try out the paint pens I bought 6 months ago... turns out painting lettering is a time consuming PITA! I love the way it looks, but this may be the only set of tires that get the treatment... haha

ps - its a little sloppy, so don't judge me.:rolleyes:
Wastegate dump-tumb is routed back into the downpipe! I am SO glad I decided to do this! First off, obviously now I no longer have the crazy angry loud shouty dump-tube routed to atmosphere which is enough of an improvement by itself. But also, the crazy resonance/reverberation that came from adding a support tab for that "muffler" onto the transmission subframe is gone as well :) I mean it was like my head was bouncing around between the gears in the transmission it was so bad. And as an icing on the cake, we found the hose on the wastegate had cracked so we replaced it. Luckily before I over-boosted to hell and grenaded the engine... #fixallthethings

So I'm pretty happy with how it all came out. Not to mention that the local club member (Jordan) who did the work, did a fantastic job on a super clean install. We added a couple V-bands to have a removable section of the waste gate piping for serviceability, a flex section to avoid cracking, and we hit the down pipe section with a little black paint just to clean it up a bit (you'll see it looking sort of wet/shiny in the pics below).

Looking good! How does the paint hold up on the tires? Always loved that look but not so much into the stick-on lettering.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #565

Image Link

Looking good! How does the paint hold up on the tires? Always loved that look but not so much into the stick-on lettering.
thanks! I've got no idea on how well it holds up, but so far so good. haha We'll see what it looks like in 6 months...

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #566 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Turbo Blanket Installed

So it's been a little slow on the car front lately. Having an 8-week-old child and a nearly 3-year-old toddler doesn't leave much time for cars, let alone sleeping.

Anyway, I finally got around to spending some time in the garage Saturday. I finally installed my new turbo blanket, which looks WAY better than my old one. I had the PTP Lava blanket before, which wasn't bad, but it came with wire instead of springs for holding it on and I now much prefer the springs. The new one I got from a semi-local company called Moore Performance. This one is their expensive carbon fiber backed one, which I purchased 75% because it had the highest heat rating, and 25% because bling :D This one came with two springs for holding the blanket on, which helped me get it pulled in the right directions and fit nicely. Oh, and the only reason I bought a new one is because when you a remove a heat-cycled turbo blanket, it sort of crumbles apart a bit. They're pretty much a one-time install kind of item it appears.

Also did a few other minor ancillary items, and was nice to finally get some stuff done.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #567

Also just wanted to throw a quick shout-out to KillerB Motorsports. I had an issue with my alternator shroud, and they replaced it for me and sent me a T-shirt on top of it! Excellent customer service!

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #568 (Edited)

Finally, to top off the weekend, I was able to go up to VIR with several friends to watch the IMSA Weathertech GT Race :tup: I have been wanting to go up for years and it was a total blast, those cars sounded so amazing! The corvettes roared around the track emanating the thunder of GOD! The Ford GTs sounded very distinct but its hard to really describe how they sounded; it was a very deep, guttural, sort of noise that almost sounded like a 4 cylinder It apparently has something to do with their wastegates dumping straight to atmosphere and being wide open the entire time. The Porsches sounds like the most heavenly exhaust note Ive ever heard! The rest of the field sounded pretty much as you would expect them to, all very nice :banana: It was awesome to get all over different portions of the track and watch the battles unfold. Got to ride to/from the track in an M6 as well which was awesome!

And here�s a short video of the start of the race, from the green flag through turn 5

·
Registered
899 Posts

Like the Turbo Blanket. Might need to get one myself one day, although the prices hold me back.

Sounds like you had a great motorsports-filled weekend. :cool::tup:

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #570

Like the Turbo Blanket. Might need to get one myself one day, although the prices hold me back.

Sounds like you had a great motorsports-filled weekend. :cool::tup:
Yessir! All-around best weekend in a while :)

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts

Being at the race track beats, well, EVERYTHING. IMHO

·
Registered
3,120 Posts

Sick cars and great pics !!! Super jealous !

Finally, to top off the weekend, I was able to go up to VIR with several friends to watch the IMSA Weathertech GT Race :tup: I have been wanting to go up for years and it was a total blast, those cars sounded so amazing! The corvette’s roared around the track emanating the thunder of GOD! The Ford GTs sounded very distinct but its hard to really describe how they sounded; it was a very deep, guttural, sort of noise that almost sounded like a 4 cylinder… It apparently has something to do with their wastegates dumping straight to atmosphere and being wide open the entire time. The Porsches sounds like the most heavenly exhaust note Ive ever heard! The rest of the field sounded pretty much as you would expect them to, all very nice :banana: It was awesome to get all over different portions of the track and watch the battles unfold. Got to ride to/from the track in an M6 as well which was awesome 

Image Link

Image Link

Image Link

Image Link

Image Link

Image Link

Image Link

Image Link

Image Link

Image Link

Image Link

And here’s a short video of the start of the race, from the green flag through turn 5
[URL=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/escapee20/2016-08-28%20VIR%20Race/th_Opening%20Lap_zpsyazxuxtz.mp4]Image Link
[/URL]

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #575

Woah, nice weekend! You got to see IMSA at VIR?? Jealous....
Yep :D I've been wanting to see them for a couple years now since they started going go VIR but couldn't make it happen until this year. Needs to be an annual thing :tup:

Sick cars and great pics !!! Super jealous !
Thanks! They came out pretty decent for "phone pics" haha

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #576

Well, I think my new IAT sensor took a dump... sensor is reading ~180-200°F despite outside temperature being 70 this morning, and the IC is cool to the touch. Not sure what else it could be; so here we go ordering stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #578

At least the IAT Sensor is a quick replacement. :)
Very true, if something is going to go bad, that is about as cheap and easy to fix as anything! I just hope its not some other kind of freak failure that is buried down deep in the car somewhere that doesn't make sense... haha.

·
Registered
899 Posts

Very true, if something is going to go bad, that is about as cheap and easy to fix as anything! I just hope its not some other kind of freak failure that is buried down deep in the car somewhere that doesn't make sense... haha.
I got that reference :lol:
Ordered a ECU out of the UK for 80€ including shipping :)

561 - 580 of 1193 Posts