IW STi Forum banner

501 - 520 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #501 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - finally moving towards stage 2 :D

$20 and 2hrs later, I did a thing:

Fairly pleased with the outcome. i really like how the light reflects off of it.

I bought a 5' long roll of the 3M vinyl which was a good idea because I had to redo the center section and needed some spare pieces too. Trying to cover 3D objects with a 2D sheet is a little challenging... Particularly the corners that are not flat. Wound up having a piece underneath for those corners to keep from having gaps. Im surprised how clean it looks with all the imperfections.

·
Registered
899 Posts

Never been a fan of the carbon vinyl. Just adds weight :D

No, looks allright! :)
Wondering how it would look if you apply some layers of clear coat over it. If I remember right, 3M states that their carbon vinyl wrap is paintable.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #504 (Edited)

So I just realized i never posted up any pictures of the downpipe install...

Heres the comparrison of the new/old (OEM). quite the difference :tup:

And after the install:

You can see I've got some "patching" to do now that the downpipe doesn't have a second catalytic converter on it... I'll post up some after pictures whenever I get around to fixing those gaping holes in the underbody... haha

In other news, here are some of the other goodies waiting to go on the car.

ceramic coated TGV deletes:

AMR turbo inlet hard pipe:

I also picked up a used UP and EWG to go on with the upcoming tune. I'll be dropping them off at the ceramic coater first though. I plan to try to fab some kind of "muffler" for the dump tube, so its not crazy loud.

·
Registered
899 Posts

Have you driven the car hard since you installed the closed underbody?
I was discussing doing the same with another friend who has his own VW Polo Race Car with a closed underbody and everything, and he said that he had issues with wax turning into liquid again because of the heat builtup in some parts.

Need to visit him soon to discuss things. He's all fire and flames for Racecar-STI-mods :D

Nice hardpipe you got there! I want one too one day :)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #506

Have you driven the car hard since you installed the closed underbody?
I was discussing doing the same with another friend who has his own VW Polo Race Car with a closed underbody and everything, and he said that he had issues with wax turning into liquid again because of the heat builtup in some parts.

Need to visit him soon to discuss things. He's all fire and flames for Racecar-STI-mods :D

Nice hardpipe you got there! I want one too one day :)
Ive done a set of "parade laps" for charity so far but thats it. Where did your friend have wax turning back to liquid? The only place I can think of that heat would build up would be around the transmission/exhaust tunnel. But then again, my hood and beatrush undertray are both vented, so heat shouldn't be building up in the engine bay too bad.

·
Registered
899 Posts

At the rear section where his muffler was. A lot of more heat buildup between the underbody and the chassis itself.
Haven't seen the underside of his car in person so I can't really say how it looks there. He just mentioned it when I've told him about the idea.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #508

At the rear section where his muffler was. A lot of more heat buildup between the underbody and the chassis itself.
Haven't seen the underside of his car in person so I can't really say how it looks there. He just mentioned it when I've told him about the idea.
The back does get hot, but thats the case regardless... Where is his wax coming off? I haven't had any exterior body panels getting hot back there...

·
Registered
899 Posts

I don't exactly know where he had the issues specifically. Like I said, had just spoken to him on the Phone and haven't had time to check out his car in person.

That's why I was wondering if you have experienced any drawbacks in terms of heat.

Well, the titanium tip on my HKS Muffler changed colors to gold/blue by itself tracking the car on the Hockenheimring. So there is quite some heat back there too. But without covering the exhaust system completly, like you did, I too doubt it will cause any big trouble.

If I find anything out, I'll let you know :)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #510

Ok I gotcha. Most of the length of my exhaust is still actually partially exposed, but it did all change colors after my track day last year :)

I really want to ceramic coat the axle-back to keep that heat in and away from the rear diff, but dont know how to do that without being "straight piped" in the meantime... lol

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #511

Anyone have experience with EWG coolant lines? Trying to get the right fittings to connect to hoses is proving difficult. TiAL supplies a male to male fitting the goes from the M8x1.0 threads on the EWG to -4 AN. I have yet to find a M8x1.0 to hose barb, or -4AN to hose barb online anywhere...

Searching on here/nasioc gives the impression that nobody connects the coolant lines??

Ultimately I want a fitting that goes from male M8x1.0 to hose barb but Im not sure that is out there and TiAL customer service is worthless.

Any ideas/advice?

(I know I could probably get away without the coolant fittings, but I'd rather have them for longevity and robust-ness... On track)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #512

well I found a -4AN to hose barb... so hopefully that is sorted now. ;)

also ordered an IAG AOS (competition series)... going to ditch the morsso catch cans. Still getting some oil residue in the intercooler, and having to drain them and clean out clogged ball valves periodically is something I'd rather not deal with. But getting rid of oil/oil vapors in the intake/intercooler is definitly the driving factor.

Also thinking about getting a second set of wheels for my summer tires (well, been thinking about it for a while honestly)... Farily sure I want to go with Wedsports TC105N 17x9 +35. They are strong, and lightweight (at 15.7lbs each) and seexxxy! Not sure how soon this will happen as all the parts Ive been collecting lately and the upcoming tune are starting to get spensive. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #515

so I recently had my HVAC controls and clock converted to red lighting, which is awesome, but the clock is a bit dimmer now than it used to be. Last night I pulled the clock, cut the illumination wire and soldered in a switch (because I don't like to just cut wires...) to keep the clock at full bright during the night. For some reason I decided to pull the clock itself apart and lost some of the SUPER tiny plastic paces for the buttons... FML I can't find them. I really don't want to go buy a whole new clock for just those. Anyone know if you can buy those things separate? I know its a long shot...

Also just realized whyI keep smelling exhaust (since the downpipe install). I reused the OEM spring-bolts for the DP-CB flanges instead of straight bolts without even thinking about it. I bought it used, so it didn't come with any hardware and I figured I'd just reuse what I had... Oops. Picked up some new M10x1.25 grade 10.9 flanged nuts/bolts :)

·
Registered
899 Posts

I have the OEM Clock Unit in a box in the basement.
Can take it to the US with me and send it to you then if you want.

Thing is just catching dust.
We're talking about the OEM Clock that sits where I have my DEFIs mounted, right?

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #517

We're talking about the OEM Clock that sits where I have my DEFIs mounted, right?
Yep, that'd be great! I don't even need the whole clock, just the buttons.. haha

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #518

Out of curiosity when are you coming over?

·
Registered
899 Posts

June 15th arriving in SFO, a week later I'll be in Portland at my friends, I can send it over to you then. If that works for you.

501 - 520 of 1193 Posts