481 - 500 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #482
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - finally moving towards stage 2 :D

AOS?
Are you going csatted DP or catless?
Got the Morroso catch cans already, but considering trading up to the IAG setup. DP is catted; I like the idea of not having to worry about getting someone to “pass” my annual vehicle inspection… Also, I’ve read that boost creep is less of an issue with a catted DP, and I don’t want to go full EWG right now.

If you want to compare from a "failure" side, SD doubles your potential for failure on a sensor malfunction standpoint. ;)

I personally prefer using a MAF, however, there comes a point at higher power levels where SD has it's usefulness. For the most part, you lose resolution as you scale higher. In the case of a Subaru with a FMIC, you end up with so much piping that it can delay a MAF signal and then you need to vent it back into the inlet.
That’s true, it is technically twice the failure potential, but realistically I’m not too worried about it. Other than the scaling you mentioned, is there any benefit from using pressure in the manifold to measure the air rather than flow through the intake? I’m not set on a SD tune at all, but figured IF I should switch, I should do it all at once. (although it would be nice to be able to change the intake without needing a retune, but that’s small peanuts…)

I haven't found a MAF sensor to be unreliable. They are temperature dependent, but that's what the MAF temp compensation table is for. In previous makes of cars, I'm guessing the correction was built into the sensor because I never had to worry about it on my SHO.
My only concern with the temperature measurement being in the MAF, is that it has no way to tell what the actual temperature of the air entering into the engine is (post intercooler). And since the intercooler efficiency starts dropping in the upper revs and temps begin to climb, I don’t know how well the MAF tables are able to account for this. I mean it seems like a good idea to put the intake temp as far down the intake path as possible… Am I crazy, is this a waste of time? Have you tuned a car with a relocated intake temp sensor?

If we're all placing orders, ill take an aluminum rear seat delete so i dont have to order a heavy beatrush one ;]
Haha, that would be a good one to try to fab up next ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts

Wire in a separate sensor for a second IAT. You can even plumb it into an unused connector and display the voltage. :)

My personal opinion, there is zero need to go to SD at your power level. I'm still using a MAF.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #484

So I got the DP in and a pair of gutted OEM TGVs and dropped them both off at a local ceramic coating shop. Not sure how they compare to swaintech but their product is impressive. As much as a 700-800*F drop in surface temps during their testing. But even if swaintech is better, this is cheaper and local(no shipping), so its good enough!

·
Registered
87 Posts

I might have missed somthing so sorry if this is in left field. One of our local shops likes to relocate the temp sensor to the bottom of the ic. Says it allows for a more accurate reading of the intake temp as its on the tb side of things.

They have a o2 bong welded in for it

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #486

I might have missed somthing so sorry if this is in left field. One of our local shops likes to relocate the temp sensor to the bottom of the ic. Says it allows for a more accurate reading of the intake temp as its on the tb side of things.

They have a o2 bong welded in for it

Yeah, Ryan is the one who have me the idea initially anyway but I never really talked through it with him beyond it just seemed like a good idea... I need to catch up with him. I'll have to peel off some of that beautiful gold tape :(

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

Awesome work with the aero. If you consider making these available for others, you may be getting some of my money :)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #488

It has been super busy lately, so its been a few weeks since my last post. I got the downpipe and TGV deletes back from the ceramic coater. They are currently garage ornaments, haha. Got the rear diffuser back from my friend after a month or so, and he basically said that the aluminum is too thin to try to weld… I pulled down the “phase 2” underbody panels to replace bolts with threaded studs so that I could “bolt” the stud to the car, and have a nut to tighten the panels against as well. I also got some XPEL paint protection on the hood and fenders, as well as the lower half of the front doors. :tup: And just this weekend I finally put on the new DBA4000 rotors and new DS2500s. I am going to bleed the brakes tonight to “finish” the brake maintenance :). I’m going to the open house “parade laps” at VIR this Friday with the local Subaru group. Its fun, cheap, raises money for charity, and we go hit their karting track while we’re there :D

In other news, now that its warming up, I no longer have AC again… So I’m going to order some new seals and get it recharged, again.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #489

Downpipe and TGV deletes are still hanging out as garage ornaments, but I have not been completely idle!

Last night I installed the Group N transmission mount and Kartboy transmission cross member bushings. A friend gave me a gift card as a thank you for building some built-in-bookcases and told me to buy car parts… You don’t have to tell me twice! Last night I pulled off the cross member and swapped the bushings. I was expecting this to kind of a pain and a little difficult, but it turned out to be super easy! Only took me about 1.5hrs and that’s including jacking the car up, and pulling off underbody panels (and of course reinstalling them). :D

I did have a minor heartattack when I pulled the OEM STI trans mount, only to see one that looks completely identical to the group N mount… I was expecting the new vs old to look something like this:

But I guess that’s the WRX mount, because after a little searching it appears that the OEM STI and Group N mounts are basically identical except for the durometer hardness of each. I should’ve taken a picture of the two for reference but that wasn’t’ on my mind...

I haven’t noticed any increase in NVH (engine mounts probably drown it out) but the car definitely drives smoother. Specifically the drivetrain jerking from getting on/off the throttle has be significantly damped. Honestly I was hoping to hear more gear whine, like with the shifter bushing install (I love that noise, #becauseracecar…haha), but it didn’t happen…

·
Registered
899 Posts

The gear whine is pretty awesome, I agree :D
I'll be buying the Group N Engine and Transmission Mounts when I'm in the US and bring them over in my suitcase.
WAAAAY cheaper than buying them over here.

But getting the jerking out of the drivetrain on/off throttle sounds good to me! :tup:

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #491

The gear whine is pretty awesome, I agree :D
I'll be buying the Group N Engine and Transmission Mounts when I'm in the US and bring them over in my suitcase.
WAAAAY cheaper than buying them over here.

But getting the jerking out of the drivetrain on/off throttle sounds good to me! :tup:
Wow, thats crazy! Will you get in trouble at all, or need to claim them when you enter Germany?

be ye warned, the engine mounts transmit a substantial increase in noise, and you will pretty much loose any audible gear whine :( Still worth it, but now the engine noises are much louder!

·
Registered
899 Posts

Goods up to a total of 450€ are tax free :)
Going over 450€ you have to declare them at the customs when you leave the airport here.

Well, mine are still the OEM Parts, so 11 years old. Time to replace them :)
NVH, i don't care #becauseracecar :D

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #494

Weekend alone at the house means wrench time!

Pulled off the OE downpipe and installed the Invidia. Overall was pretty smooth. I had to grind the flange off 2 of the nuts that hold on the Belmouth (clearance) and buy a new O2 sensor, but thats it! Pictures to come :)

Now im in the middle of trying to install TGV deletes, and it's starting to get overwhelming... Ive got a lot of stuff disconnected which makes me worry I'll miss something when putting it back. We'll see, it's starting to get hairy...

·
Registered
899 Posts

Write Labels and stick them on the wires/lines you pull off.
Makes things easier :)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #497

Well i got hit with a road block... Couldn't get the PS pump to budge and I didn't want to disconnect the hard lines, so I put the kibosh on the whole thing... Put it back together and will take it the shop to be done right. Already broke several clips and things, and dont want to break anything else without the resources of a shop...

But since I removed the TGV sensors opposite of the motors, i will have to load the OTS stg 2 map that I turned the codes off for... I was planning to run that until the protune anyway tho ;)

·
Registered
899 Posts

I removed one of the Hardlines on mine when I squeezed in the Inlet Pipe.
It's not too bad. The extra room is more worth than the time to flush air out of the PS System.

:)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #499

Yeah i was really tempted to do it but i read someone did that had the seal fail on the hard line and spew oil everywhere (and ruin the pump) so I decided not to try that :(

But it looks like Im going to be trying the EWG thing out too ;). Ideally id like to get a little muffler fabbed for the dump tube tho. Tigwerks made a nice one a while back and I messaged them hoping they'd make me one too. We'll see

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #500 (Edited)

So I have a habit of removing all the wheels to clean them and check over the suspension and brakes in the process. Today that turned out to be really good because I found a leaking brake line :0

Turns out I didn't get the rubber grommet that mounts to the strut snug so the line walked back and kinked the hard line fitting on the end :(

Got a new set of SS lines on the way, and will make double sure I dont have this issue again...

Also, in case you were wondering brake fluid is great for tye-dyeing your wheels...

481 - 500 of 1193 Posts