IW STi Forum banner

461 - 480 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #463 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - hood vents painted

Ive been unhappy with the fitment of my airbox. It contacted the underside of the hood and had a gap to the fender ...

Before (for reference):

And the improved, trimmed, reshaped airbox that fits much better :)

Essentially the whole lid was lowered an inch, but due to the filter, the center section remained at basically the same height, hence the bent lid. Frankly it came together a lot easier than I thought it would... Much better :)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #464

bought some new front fender liners from rockauto.com ($15 each vs something like $175 each for OEM...). I did a terrible job of hacking mine apart when I was installing the brake ducts... This time I will be cutting them while they're OFF of the car, so they will be cut more precisely.

Got the drivers side liner on last night and did a MUCH better job trimming out just enough to fit the hose :)

·
Registered
899 Posts

175$ each OEM :eek:
I paid like ~40$ for mine at the Subaru Dealership.

15$ each is even better :cool:

·
Registered
449 Posts

Prob the deal of the century right there man. WOW!

Awesome build, love reading up neighbor :)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #468 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI

Completed the new flat-bottom bumper with aluminum. Thinner, stronger, lighter, and disassembles easily! Also, the new panels fit MUCH better. I'm now using a single 3" Naca duct and hose up to the improved intake box.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #474
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - finally moving towards stage 2 :D

So it looks like I’m picking up a used (low-ish miles) invidia DP. I plan to get a new pro-tune with it, but before I do, I wanted to get a couple other things in there at the same time. I’m thinking of TGV deletes (mostly because why not), a relocated IAT sensor in the intercooler for accurate temp measuring, and switching to a MAP based tune (I’m under the impression that’s a more resilient tune?). Header/up pipe are not in the budget, but I was wondering what you guys thought about these, and if there is any other “little/easy” mods that need a tune, that I could toss in there as well. OH, and I already have a 3 port EBCS.

·
Registered
899 Posts

I prefer the Speed Density / MAP & IAT Sensor option as this clears out the MAF Sensor.
You don't need to care about good airflow to the MAF Sensor. Now you can concentrate to get a good flow towards the turbo itself. If that makes sense at the powerlevels we are.

And I feel like MAP/IAT Sensors aren't as prone to failure as MAF Sensors are.
But this is just a guess from my side with no actual experience to it/based on how those sensors are constructed. Someone who knows better might correct me.

·
Registered
449 Posts

AOS?
Are you going csatted DP or catless?

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts

I prefer the Speed Density / MAP & IAT Sensor option as this clears out the MAF Sensor.
You don't need to care about good airflow to the MAF Sensor. Now you can concentrate to get a good flow towards the turbo itself. If that makes sense at the powerlevels we are.

And I feel like MAP/IAT Sensors aren't as prone to failure as MAF Sensors are.
But this is just a guess from my side with no actual experience to it/based on how those sensors are constructed. Someone who knows better might correct me.
If you want to compare from a "failure" side, SD doubles your potential for failure on a sensor malfunction standpoint. ;)

I personally prefer using a MAF, however, there comes a point at higher power levels where SD has it's usefulness. For the most part, you lose resolution as you scale higher. In the case of a Subaru with a FMIC, you end up with so much piping that it can delay a MAF signal and then you need to vent it back into the inlet.

·
Registered
899 Posts

If you want to compare from a "failure" side, SD doubles your potential for failure on a sensor malfunction standpoint. ;)

I personally prefer using a MAF, however, there comes a point at higher power levels where SD has it's usefulness. For the most part, you lose resolution as you scale higher. In the case of a Subaru with a FMIC, you end up with so much piping that it can delay a MAF signal and then you need to vent it back into the inlet.
Thanks mate!
True dat with doubling the failure potential.
But I assume the MAP/IAT sensor are more reliable than a MAF Sensor?
Well looks like I need to do some more reading and putting thoughts into it :D

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts

I haven't found a MAF sensor to be unreliable. They are temperature dependent, but that's what the MAF temp compensation table is for. In previous makes of cars, I'm guessing the correction was built into the sensor because I never had to worry about it on my SHO.

·
Registered
947 Posts

If we're all placing orders, ill take an aluminum rear seat delete so i dont have to order a heavy beatrush one ;]

461 - 480 of 1193 Posts