IW STi Forum banner

441 - 460 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #441
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Rear Diffuser Complete(ish)!

Thanks guys!

Can you build me one ;-)
I'm starting to hear this one a lot! haha

That looks more race-car-ish than most aftermarket diffusors! :)
And its probably way more functional too! :D

Are you going to cover the outside edges under the rear bumper?
Do you mean behind the rear wheels? Initially I thought about doing that but that seemed like it would simply catch the high pressure air off the rear wheels so I decided against it.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #443

If it works as good as it looks, this is truly brilliant :):tup:

Lars and I need to build a closed underbody & diffusor like you did for real :cool:
You probably track enough where you could even test for lap time improvements too! That would be really cool :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #444 (Edited)

In the spirit of continued aerodynamic improvements, I've decided to add some hood vents. I know its not the same sort of aero stuff I've been looking at so far, but I still think it will be beneficial, and that's the key.

I just picked up a set of these aluminum vents from rodlouvers.com for pretty cheap:

I'm planning to locate them about like this:

please disregard the poor MS Paint skillz

Originally I wanted to weld them to the hood flush (hence buying aluminum panels) for an OEMish look, but it seems that will be very difficult to do. So now the plan is to just rivet them on before the hood gets painted. It will be slightly more 'racecar' look than I was going for, but with the matching paint it shouldn't be too bad.

I'm going to place them immediately behind the radiator to have them as far forward as possible to take advantage of the low pressure zone on the front area of the hood, and have them to the sides of the hood scoop.

I've been noticing how bad the paint is chipping on the hood from rocks and stuff, so this gives me an excuse to get a fresh coat of blue on the whole hood. :D As soon as its cured, I'm going to put some laminex or something on the hood to protect the paint from future dings...

·
Registered
899 Posts

You probably track enough where you could even test for lap time improvements too! That would be really cool :cool:
I can't promise that the project will start early 2016, it's probably more mid-late 2016 but this is really on my to do list :):tup:

Hood Vents:
Can't you find someone who has a louver press? That would be awesome :cool:
See here: Scion Tuner Challenge The Build: Part 2 - Speedhunters
Scroll down a bit to see it.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #446

I would like to do that but unfortunately my hood doesn't lend to that easily like that Scion :( The bracing underneath the hood is at all sorts of weird angles on my hood... Plus going with louvers that just attach to the hood gives me a lot more freedom on placment and making them "line up" with the existing body lines.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #447 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI

Finally got around to replacing the front struts and sent off the old ones to FEAL. And now its realigned as well. I decided to increase the amount of camber just a tad this time. Previously I was running -1.5* all around. Now its this:

:banana:

·
Registered
2,223 Posts

When I was daily driving my car, I was on 2F 1.5R

More camber more tore wear more money haha

·
Registered
2,223 Posts

1.6g peak is quick enough I think.
For track work you need much more but a daily drive?
That being said a friend of mine drives on -3.8 lol

2.2 F 1.5 R during daily drive ej207 days

·
Registered
899 Posts

1.6g peak is quick enough I think.
For track work you need much more but a daily drive?
That being said a friend of mine drives on -3.8 lol

2.2 F 1.5 R during daily drive ej207 days
:lol: <- that emoticon means I'm not being serious ;)
I was referring to driving such angles on the daily road.

1.6g is massive though :)

-3.8? Holy Banana.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #453

You guys are killin me! Haha

Im not expecting any increased tire wear since its such a small increase over what I used to run.

I doubt I'll be pulling 1.6g on these tires though... :)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #455 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - hood vents installed

well, for better or worse, i cut up my hood for the hood vents... They are only held on by a few of the rivets currently because I need to go back and de-burr the edges. Then I'll take it by the body shop for the whole hood to get a fresh coat of paint.

I had the shop put on a base coat of paint on the louvers before installing them just to make the paint process smoother. It will all get painted/touched-up when the car is dropped off.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - hood vents painted

I was really skeptical after you've posted the first pictures of them mounted, but now with the proper paint, I approve :):tup:

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #458

Yeah i was a little too, haha. But i think it came out really good!

Even on these cold winter days there is still a lot of heat coming outta those babies!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

Hey man, returning the support you've given me about my project. It's nice to see DIY custom stuff like you are doing. Many people surely wince and don't approve about it but as you already know I have been there myself, A LOT. The best respect you can get comes from real car enthusiasts that, even though they might not like what you are doing, will respect the work and dedication to a project that you can proudly call your own.

Keep it up my friend. Great stuff! :tup:

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #460

Hey man, returning the support you've given me about my project. It's nice to see DIY custom stuff like you are doing. Many people surely wince and don't approve about it but as you already know I have been there myself, A LOT. The best respect you can get comes from real car enthusiasts that, even though they might not like what you are doing, will respect the work and dedication to a project that you can proudly call your own.

Keep it up my friend. Great stuff! :tup:
Thanks man, that means a lot coming from you!

441 - 460 of 1193 Posts