IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1193 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI

I tried explaining it in my own words but here's what TiC says:

"Tie the lower a-pillar frame member to the upper front frame member for triangulation of the junction between to two to make it stronger. There are braces there in the stock config, but those are stamped steel, and about as strong as a wet noodle. Ours are much stiffer. Stiffer is better!! Seriously, people who have installed them have been amazed at what a drastic change such a small part can make. Instead of making your car's frame act like a spring let your spring act like a spring. Afterall, that's what it's supposed to do."

·
Registered
159 Posts
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI

Less chassis roll in turns, a more responsive front end, and less overall creaking and odd noises from the chassis. Definitely well worth it, under $100 bucks and the install is fairly straight forward.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 7/20/13 AutoX Results

So I had a pretty good time at the Auto-X this weekend. Got to meet some cool people, and couple IWSTIers. I feel like I did a lot better than last year with the new suspension, but I managed to botch the last corner on 4 out of 5 runs :( You'll notice near the end of some of these videos that you hear/see shuddering as I'm under-steering wide on the last big right-hander before the course exit. I kept wanting to take too much speed through that corner and just pushed wide each time...

Just as a side note, I was not “launching” very aggressively. After having to replace my clutch at just 100,000 miles (my own fault), I was not willing to risk a full on launch. I probably could’ve gotten a second better, or more, from a well executed launch, but it wasn’t worth it since I was just there for some fun.

First Run
Second Run
Third Run
Fourth Run

Due to forgetting to turn off the video after the fourth run, I mistakenly turn the camera off, instead of on, right before the fifth run, so I have no video for that one, but you're not missing much.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 8/4/13 Brake Duct/Ram Intake

So I decided to play with the idea of a brake duct setup, but seeing as thats not very relevant for street driving, I decided to build what could become a brake duct, but is used as a "Ram" intake on the road. I do not have the factory air box, so my short-ram intake is just sucking up hot engine-bay air... Now it would've been a good idea to record some intake temperatures before and after to see the effectiveness... but I missed that boat. I may try to find out a little later though (by blocking off the ram air for a control temp).

First I picked up some super cheap, painted, fog-light surrounds on ebay (they are not OEM, but they are darn close), then I went to Lowes for the rest.

I picked up a piping reducer to attach to the fog surround, some JB Weld, a aluminum flexible duct (I was actually looking for a vinyl fabric one...), some window screen material and a piping "pitch pocket" (which i did not need).

Supplies:
materials.jpg

Test-Fit the reducer/piping/screen material:
throughshot.jpg

JB Welding the fog surround and the reducer. NOTE, I removed the piping and mesh for this part. After mixing up a ton of JB Weld and liberally applying it, the reducer kept trying to slip off, so I had to hold it on for a good 20 minutes, until i could manage to stack a ton of crap on it while i cured...
jbweld.jpg

Fully Assembled:
finished1.jpg
finished2.jpg

Installed:
bumper.jpg
underhood.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - wheel spacers ordered

so i just ordered some custom wheel spacer (adapters) from wheeladapter.com. I tried the Ichiba V2 spacers but I was not satisfied with them. Fred at wheeladapter.com custom machines every set, and they are not much more than a set of Perrin or Ichiba spacers (new). I'm really excited for these to come in, and will post some before and after pictures.

FYI, they are 25mm adapters (smallest that will fit on GD without grinding lugs). Perfect offset for flush wheels anyway. Now to see about some mudflaps to keep rocks from raking all the paint of the side of my car...

·
Registered
159 Posts

Are you running the adapters with your stock wheels or did you pick up another set?

I have 5x100 to 5x114.3 adapters to run my STi BBS wheels on my WRX. I definitely needed my fenders rolled on stock suspension (installed on my 2.5i before I traded it away for the WRX). I haven't had a chance to run the BBS on my WRX, it'll be interesting to see how well the wheels fit on coilovers.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - wheel spacers ordered

yeah, i'm using the stock wheels. I have not needed to roll/cut my fenders at all, but I'm pretty close. Ive just barely got enough room for the wheels to tuck into the fender a little under suspension compression. If I was any lower, I'm sure I would need to roll/cut the fenders, but I'm only running JDM pinks (and lowering camper plates in the front), so I'm low, but not slammed... I'll take some close-ups to show you when this set comes in.

·
Registered
159 Posts

I'm waiting on another set of lug nuts to get here since the previous owner replaced the stock lugs with aftermarket lugs that stick out too much to run with the adapters. I'm really curious to see how well they will fit or if I will have to get narrower adapters.

Looking forward to your pics. I've seen a few other WRX's and STi's with 25mm spacers and it looks really good, definitely should have been that way from the factory.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

normally the adapters come with a set of lugs to use on the adapter and you use your regular/stock/aftermarket lugs on the wheel as you would normally, so the aftermarket lugs shouldn't be an issue...

·
Registered
159 Posts

Yeah I bought the adapters used on NASIOC and they did not come with any lugs, oops. I used the stock lugs on my 2.5i to hold the adapters to the rotor then ordered aftermarket lugs to hold the wheels to the adapters.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 8/14/13 Wheel Spacers Installed!

Got my new spacers in! Originally I ordered a set of used Ichiba V2 spacer adapters, but I was not satisfied with their fit. The main issue was that the outer diameter of the spacer was about 0.25" smaller than that of the wheel mating surface, so the wheel hung over the edge of the spacer. This may have been "OK", and many people run those spacers, but it just wasn't good enough for me.

So I found wheeladapters.com and called them up and ordered a set from them. It was just a little more expensive than ordering a brand new set of Ichiba spacers, but they are worth it! These are custom machined to each customers specifications. I got a set of 1" thick spacer adapters with (what I call) the correct outer diameter. These are one solid piece of aluminum (Ichiba's were two pieces) and are hub and wheel centric.

These spacers do an amazing job of bringing my stock BBS wheels flush with the fenders, it looks great! As a side note, I am running JDM Pink springs and RCE lowernig camber plates in the front. I did not need to modify the fenders at all, but if I was much lower, I would need to.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 8/14/13 Wheel Spacers Installed!

Spacers look great man. I just got mine on with the Gorilla lugs I ordered from Amazon, I love how flush the wheels are but I need to raise the rear coilovers up a little, wheel is rubbing on the fender; a good roll and pull wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 8/14/13 Wheel Spacers Installed! (pics)

I'm thinking I need to get a set of camber bolts for the rear. What ones did you order? I've seen plenty out there and I'm not sure which ones are legit.

I've never seen camber plate bearings like that, how do those mount to the struts? I'm definitely curious to see that install.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 8/14/13 Wheel Spacers Installed! (pics)

I went with the whiteline camber bolts from rallysportdirect, they also had eibachs, but I just felt more comfortable with whiteline...

The bearings go in the center of the camber plate. Here is a pic of the old ones still installed:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 8/14/13 Wheel Spacers Installed! (pics)

Gotcha, I was trying to picture where that would go in my head and I just couldn't. Why'd you need new ones?

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 8/14/13 Wheel Spacers Installed! (pics)

The old bearings are worn out, they are moving around and clucking over bumps and making popping noises when I turn... RCE said the bearings usually last about 2 years; these bearings are 7yrs old!

21 - 40 of 1193 Posts